Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Amex compromised

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

BA Amex compromised

I know there was a recent thread on this (now closed), but just posting as I have just spoken with Amex.

Several fraudulent transactions have been attempted on my card today (Luis Vuiton and John Lewis). It took me an hour to get through to Amex fraud team and they admitted that they have had a lot of these (hence they are busy and it’s taking time to get through to them). When I asked if related to the BA data breach (my card was affected) they said it was likely this or another breach but it is affecting multiple cards en-mass. They believe that fraudsters have waited until Christmas time to push them through as more likely to be unnoticed as fraudulent.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Interesting data point but... bearing in mind you are not responsible for any fraudulent activity on your card why would you waste an hour of your time calling their fraud team?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Because they asked me to call them and I want them to remove the fraudulent transactions and issue me a new card (which they have now done).
HarryKUK, T8191, cme17 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
I have had a breach today on my Platinum Amex too - this time Nikestore.com. Thankfully Amex spotted it and a new card is on its way. My card was identified as part of the BA breach.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
The text I received asked me to call them - I had a 50 min wait.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:39 pm

I live in hope that my OH thinks the John Lewis purchases on his Amex are not of my making....
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
My wife (the main cardholder) had this on Dec 31st. Also took about 30-45 min to get through to Amex fraud and new card sent out.

Clearly a lot of attempts have been going on this week, she received both an email and a text message with a “purchase code” that said “if you haven’t requested this code please phone the number on the back of your card immediately” so not sure why fraudsters would think she wouldn’t notice these messages more at this time of year especially since she wasn’t at work so had her phone on her.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Same, lots of text message spam and partner card compromised today.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
I’ve got an unrecognised John Lewis Transaction as “pending” in my account. Amex say they won’t do anything unless it becomes a confirmed transaction as it is possible the transaction may not become final as I didn’t get a SafeKey request.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Interesting data point but... bearing in mind you are not responsible for any fraudulent activity on your card why would you waste an hour of your time calling their fraud team?
yep, my thoughts exactly. I have one of these transactions pending from John Lewis. I called Amex and spoke to the standard customer services (I also had a different issue to discuss), awho then transferred me to fraud. After 20 minutes listening to the music I hung up and this matter remains unresolved, at Amex’s risk of course. This is the first time I have been anything other than super impressed with their customer service.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Friend of mine also had fraudulent John Lewis transactions on his BA Amex, some of which went through before an authorisation code was sent. Will Amex have bothered to contact the police about this in order to try and track down the fraudsters?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
As another data point, on 1 January I woke to an overnight SMS and email with a one-time SafeKey code and called Amex. I was connected to the overseas call centre (Philippines?) who assured me no transactions had been attempted since genuine ones on 27 December, and we agreed no action was required after he'd assured me about not being liable for fraud.

Jump to 12 hours after the SMS, mid-afternoon on 1 January, and two transactions show on my iPhone lock screen: $2-odd in 'Big Lick General Store' (assumedly a test transaction) and then 25 minutes later £117-odd in Halfords.

I immediately called Amex and was connected with no delay to the fraud team in the UK who blocked the card and ordered a new one. Incidentally, and helpfully, the new card loads immediately to Apple Pay on the iPhone and can be used straight away (only the final four digits of the new card number show in Apple Pay).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I wonder if Amex are able to push some of these fraudulent charges onto BA (or other companies that have suffered data breaches)?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Me too - on the 30th. Nearly £900 on John Lewis Direct - got an email and SMS with an authorisation number, asking me to call if I hadn't tried to make a transaction.

When I called, they send the transaction had been completed (but HOW, given the codes were sent to me and my phone/email are not compromised???). New card ordered... But it did take 45 mins to get through to the fraud team after the initial agent I spoke to routed my call to them... I was waiting so long, I actually rang the original customer services team back up from my mobile to check my call hadn't been "lost". She said because of the levels of calls they were having on this issue, the wait was averaging 50-60 minutes to speak to the fraud team. No biggie - just put the phone on loud speaker and carried on chatting with friends until they were ready for me!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I wonder if Amex are able to push some of these fraudulent charges onto BA (or other companies that have suffered data breaches)?
I'd suggest they would have incurred fewer costs - now losses - if they'd proactively issued new cards to everyone they knew was affected at the time it was discovered, and then knocked on the door of BA or whoever to recover those costs.

Last edited by paulieuk; Jan 3, 2019 at 7:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.