Acceptance of a damaged passport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / ITA Volare Executive
Acceptance of a damaged passport

Morning All!

Only slightly off topic for the board - the flights are with BA

My travel partner for a trip to Naples on the 19th has ripped the top corner of her passport photo page, does anybody have experience in whether this will stop her getting through customs at either end?
Obviously there is time to replace, but it's a cost she'd rather avoid until January is out of the way...

Cheers,
Ben
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador

This was rejected by ba qf and qr at lhr
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm one of those who tends to advertise a relaxed approach to travel problems, but I think this is a rip too far, given it impinges, or very nearly impinges, the photo. Quite why we went for this design I will never know, at least it will change (again) in a few weeks time but I fear it will still just be a flimsy sheet.

In terms of Freedom of Movement, this is still OK, and the Border Force would allow her back in, and I suspect the Italian Guardia would tut but allow entry eventually. However I doubt any airline would be convinced on this and will take a harder line - there's no incentive on them to take on borderline cases since they could theoretically get fined (but won't in this circumstance). Hopefully you have time to get a replacement. Since this will be hanging over you until resolved you may as well sort it out now.
Stez and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Quite why we went for this design I will never know, at least it will change (again) in a few weeks time but I fear it will still just be a flimsy sheet.
This was the first thing I noticed when my old (mid-2000s) passport was replaced a few years back. Having the photo/details on a sheet inside the cover, rather than the inside of the cover itself, is a terrible design decision from a usability perspective. It is much more fiddly when flicking through it in a hurry to show immigration officials or an eGate. In the case of the latter, it can crumple or twist slightly when you slide it face down into the machine, resulting in it not being read properly. As you mention, it's also easier to damage.

The second thing I noticed is that after only a few weeks and minimal travel (4-5 flights), the gold crest began to rub off from being my pocket. As the previous one had lasted 10 years and a lot more travel with no damage whatsoever to the cover, I wasn't impressed!

c-w-s - I didn't realise we were changing again so soon? Or are you referring to the post-Brexit situation, where the most pressing order of business appears to be Blue passports…
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by squawk
c-w-s - I didn't realise we were changing again so soon? Or are you referring to the post-Brexit situation, where the most pressing order of business appears to be Blue passports…
The design is changed every 5 years anyway, to keep fraudsters on the hop, but yes, the new dark blue UK passport is due out from next month (approx) regardless of what else happens.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Interesting, as I was unaware of this potential problem. Our passports (issued Feb 11) have all the important stuff in a heavy plasticised page at the end of the document.
squawk and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
The design is changed every 5 years anyway, to keep fraudsters on the hop, but yes, the new dark blue UK passport is due out from next month (approx) regardless of what else happens.
Might have to protest replace mine imminently then - it has stopped operating at any of the UK [fak]eGates anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: BA gold
My last passport had a peel on the corner of the photo page which was not noticed by me until a check-in agent noticed it. I was doing weekly NCL-AMS commutes back then (seems a long time ago now) and initially the AMS passport control didn't like it but said "get it fixed", and the NCL BA desk (which was BA staffed then) did mention it *may* cause issues. UK border prodded and poked it (and perhaps deliberately making it worse by peeling further) and said I should renew. This went on for about two months before I accidentally washed my passport in a washing machine.

The assumption given to me was that the photo could have been changed to someone else's photo.

Yours shows a tear right into the photo, I wouldn't fancy my chances at all. Get it renewed.

Edit: As the photo itself "could" have been tampered with, a fast renewal may not be possible, it may take as long as a new passport - do check on this as procedures may have changed since I had to change my passport.

Last edited by Stez; Jan 2, 2019 at 5:54 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must get my renewal in very soon..

OP - no chance. An ex learned this lesson the hard way, forfeiting a very expensive MH ticket as a result.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is all about risk tolerance. If turned away, what is Plan B and what does that cost? Or, if not turned away, but one encounters Italian authorities having a "bad" day and is pulled aside for an hour or two?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:57 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:32 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The new blue passport isn't due until October. What will happen from April is that two particular words will be removed from the cover of newly issued burgundy passports. And from October there will be a period where you could get either a burgundy or a blue one as they will use up old stocks first.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/b...-after-eu-exit

O/T we (well the Government) have always had the right to chose the colour of the passport. There isn't any requirement for them to be burgundy.
etiene and squawk like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jan 2, 2019 at 6:13 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Has this been brought forwards? According to the government's technical notice on passports in the section entitled "British passports issued after 29 March 2019" it says the blue ones will come in from "late 2019", with the interim period from 29 March 2019 being burgundy but not saying "European Union". This was last updated on 19 December 2018 but (working in tax and looking at HMRC "updated" notices) I know they don't always manage to update every detail correctly.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...no-brexit-deal

I'm asking as my husband is very keen to keep a burgundy passport that says EU for as long as possible (obviously the fact is says EU won't mean anything, but as a point of principle he doesn't want to lose this and certainly does not want a blue one) so was going to renew before 29 March, but had intended to leave it until we come back from a trip on 4 March to retain maximum validity. However if there's a danger of the blue ones coming in sooner I will tell him to do it now by fast track so he has it back before our next flight on 2 February.
RoyalSwazi and Dave510 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
An on checking my previous passports the photo / details page has been

Passport 1 - issued 1990 - on the very back page of the passport

Passport 2 - issued 2001 - last inside page - laminated but not stiff

Passport 3 - issued 2010 - inside last page - laminated but stiff
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
In answer to the OP, I would get that replaced- I would say it's likely to cause a fair few problems. Yes you will probably be allowed through/on board eventually, but assuming there is time to get it replaced before the next trip, I would prefer peace of mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.