Seat reservation issue

Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Seat reservation issue

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster - go easy!

I booked myself on a MAN > LHR > MSY flight back in August. The flight departs on 22nd Jan.

I booked via TravelUp and it’s an Iberia codeshare operated by BA (for some reason the Iberia flight numbers were nearly a grand cheaper than the BA ones).

I am booked in J. I can reserve seats on the MAN to LHR sector but for LHR to MSY it throws an error, saying “Seat choices are only available at check-in.”

I have called BA upwards of five times to find out what the issue is. I’ve had various excuses, the latest one being they haven’t allocated a plane to the route yet so can’t take bookings - before the operator hung up on me. I’ve also called Iberia upwards of five times and had loads of bluster from them as well.

I don’t want to be in a seat where I have to climb over someone’s legs to go for a squirt. Likewise, I don’t want someone climbing over my legs while I’m having a kip.

I have booked with TravelUp on lots of occasions and never had an issue with reserving seats on BA flights before (most recently in November to Vegas).

Just wondering what advice anyone can give? I have no problem paying to reserve them, I just don’t want to be given a crap seat at check in.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
There are often problems with codeshares it seems, but perhaps a grand is adequate compensation for a crap seat.

There are only going to be a handfull of seats where you don’t have to climb over/be climbed over so the chances are you’ll have a crap seat I’m afraid.

IT systems don’t seem to be BA’s forte. But it happens elsewhere. I was travelling in J to SYD on Qantas on a Finnair codeshare and computer just said no when it came to seat reservation. Just had to take what was left at check in.

Have you tried using the Finnair/Qatar sites to reserve a seat? That sometimes works.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, I will try those sites now to see if I can book via them instead.

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ihatechoosingusernames
I booked myself on a MAN > LHR > MSY flight back in August. The flight departs on 22nd Jan.

I booked via TravelUp and it’s an Iberia codeshare operated by BA (for some reason the Iberia flight numbers were nearly a grand cheaper than the BA ones).
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum ihatechoosingusernames. And a welcome for being one of the first members from 2019.

The first question is whether or not you have been fully ticketed yet by TravelUp. Normally you would be, but that may explain some of the problems here. Just look at the BA App and see if you can see a ticket number at the bottom of the More Flight Details panel. It should begin with Iberia's plate number of 075. If that isn't in place then it may well be stopping seat selection. The aircraft not being available doesn't sound correct, I can see the seat plan for the 787 and you probably want 3A since that is still available, along with 3E and 7E. There aren't many window seats left mind.

Otherwise I fear this is one the difficulties that using Online Travel Agents can cause, namely a lack of problem ownership.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum ihatechoosingusernames. And a welcome for being one of the first members from 2019.

The first question is whether or not you have been fully ticketed yet by TravelUp. Normally you would be, but that may explain some of the problems here. Just look at the BA App and see if you can see a ticket number at the bottom of the More Flight Details panel. It should begin with Iberia's plate number of 075. If that isn't in place then it may well be stopping seat selection. The aircraft not being available doesn't sound correct, I can see the seat plan for the 787 and you probably want 3A since that is still available, along with 3E and 7E. There aren't many window seats left mind.

Otherwise I fear this is one the difficulties that using Online Travel Agents can cause, namely a lack of problem ownership.
Thanks for your reply! I had a quick look and all sectors are fully ticketed, with the LHR to MSY sector starting 075- as you said.

I tried to manage my booking on the Finnair and Qatar sites, but they both send me back to BA’s site :/

Quite annoying really, especially if the cabin is starting to fill up like you say.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would ring BA again, at lunchtime tomorrow, and hopefully you will get an agent who can help, or at least be a bit more precise as to the problem. The other option is a Tweet / DM to the Social Media team.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

I will do both, have just pinged them a message on Facebook and will call back tomorrow.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If you want aisle access without being stepped over 1Dand 1F are currently free.

Do you have status? If not, as it is a TA booking, does the OP need to go through their TA to reserve and pay for seat selection?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

I quite like being tucked away by the window, so 3A or 3E will be grand.

I am bronze and will hit silver after this trip. I have booked with various TA’s before (usually whoever’s cheapest on Skyscanner).

I have never, ever had an issue reserving seats when booking via a TA. I always just add the booking ref to the BA app and then reserve/pay for my chosen seats in there. I did this as recently as November on another TravelUp booking on BA in J, to Vegas.

Hopefully I will get some sense out of BA/Iberia tomorrow.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:18 pm

I quite like being tucked away by the window, so 3A or 3E will be grand.

I am bronze and will hit silver after this trip. I have booked with various TA’s before (usually whoever’s cheapest on Skyscanner).

I have never, ever had an issue reserving seats when booking via a TA. I always just add the booking ref to the BA app and then reserve/pay for my chosen seats in there. I did this as recently as November on another TravelUp booking on BA in J, to Vegas.

Usually if a BA flight is booked via another carrier like Iberia in that carriers PNR the BA flight will appear under the codeshare flight number.

If you give this to BA typically the system will give an error and the agent will be unable to book seats as you describe.

**However if the agent searches against the flight and your surname there is usually another PNR where the flight is under the BA flight number and seats can be booked.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Silver
Unlikely!! I have had many issues with BA/Iberia ticketing problems - but recently the other way round with BA coded Iberia flights. Thankfully the problem is mostly fixed with the IB codes on IB metal from LHR now ^

My solution has been the Royal Jordanian(!) website. When selecting seats (on the very clunky website) it will show all the seats as available to choose. So, use expertflyer to ensure the seat you select is actually free. Hopefully this method works for the opposite scenario.

Good luck! In most cases calling just took the blame between airlines and was absolute pain. Have never tried the Twitter route though.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
One other thing to watch for is an aircraft swap. Mrs T and I are going LHR-MSY on 23 Jan, back on 29 Jan. The outbound has just been changed from 787-8 to 787-9 and our booked 3J/K changed to 6D/E Now carefully monitoring the inbound!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies! Much appreciated. I used a hybrid of the various pieces of advice here and got it sorted in under 10 minutes.

I tried the Royal Jordanian website to manage my booking, but this didn't work for me unfortunately.

I called BA and played dumb. I told them I'd forgotten my booking reference code. They took my details and located my booking on their system, after 5 minutes of huffing and puffing the bloke on the phone read the booking reference back to me... as expected it was different to the one given to me by TravelUp.

I punched the new booking ref into the BA website while still on the phone to him, and sure enough I was able to reserve and pay for seats (got 3A and 3K, so pretty happy with that).

I think this is probably the quickest and easiest way for anyone in a similar position to deal with it in the future. A quick call to BA to ascertain the “other” booking reference and then once you have it, you'll have the full range of options available to you via BA.com - including reserving seats.

(Tried to post this morning to wrap the thread up, but I had some 5 post/24 hour limit for being a new user!)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Good result, thanks for posting back ^
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:59 pm

Thanks for all of the replies! Much appreciated. I used a hybrid of the various pieces of advice here and got it sorted in under 10 minutes.

I tried the Royal Jordanian website to manage my booking, but this didn't work for me unfortunately.

I called BA and played dumb. I told them I'd forgotten my booking reference code. They took my details and located my booking on their system, after 5 minutes of huffing and puffing the bloke on the phone read the booking reference back to me... as expected it was different to the one given to me by TravelUp.

I punched the new booking ref into the BA website while still on the phone to him, and sure enough I was able to reserve and pay for seats (got 3A and 3K, so pretty happy with that).

I think this is probably the quickest and easiest way for anyone in a similar position to deal with it in the future. A quick call to BA to ascertain the “other” booking reference and then once you have it, you'll have the full range of options available to you via BA.com - including reserving seats.

(Tried to post this morning to wrap the thread up, but I had some 5 post/24 hour limit for being a new user!)
Glad it got sorted just didnt see the need for you to play dumb. Would have been quick enough to say this was booked under iberia PNR but cant do seats can you check if there is another PNR for BA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.