Print Wikipost

Premium Fare Deals | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft

Originally Posted by Misco60
And that's the problem with this thread in a nutshell: the number of side-conversations, off-topic meanderings and "please find me a deal" posts make it very difficult to spot the offers. As a result, the usefulness of what was once a superb resource has declined markedly.

Perhaps we need two threads - one for details of genuine deals and closely-related discussion and another in which people can ask for help in finding a deal. And off-topic discussions should be mercilessly removed.

<snip>
Completely agree. Needs to be split as suggested and the content moderated to keep the thread on track and relevant to all.
Encouraging to read your posts. Some 4-5 years ago I found the TP run thread cluttered with discussions on the best bus seats amongst tour operators in HNL, what hotels that allowed you to smoke on the balcony etc, but also the never-ending requests of how to get 10 TP in 2 months, needing 570 TP in two available saturdays next month or just a repeated question already answered 3 posts upthread. I suggested that the thread be split in the mode of what was done to Mileage Run Deals becoming three fora, as also Premium Fare Deals and Mileage Run Discussions were formed. In the MR and PF Deals, only existing fares were allowed, with one separate thread for every fare, and when pulled/expired it was moved to MR Discussions, where also peripheral logistics and diverse requests could be posted/discussed. Some posters expressed positive thoughts, a couple of the most frequent posters in the thread though no need to change, as nobody had complained before (!)

Last year, having difficulties in finding relevant info amongst the 10-14 ongoing discussions, in a busy period with 50-70 posts per day, meaning if no time to read FT every day, you might have to plough a couple of hundred posts, due to the dilution of the contents. The 2019 TPR thread has short of 1500 posts in 3½ months presently.

IMO, the two BAFT threads of TPR and Premium Fares could be merged, I personally use the fares in the former for vacations too, and occasionally find fares suitable for TP runs, or positioning to one, in the latter. Many fares can be presented with possible routings for those prioritising time, and with a variation for TP optimisation. That means that every fare gets a separate thread, to save time not having to scroll down hundreds of posts to find relevant info. But then all fares that no longer are valid will be moved with headline addendum [fare expired] to the discussion forum, where all requests, and peripheral discussions are directed.

I will post a link to this discussion in the TP run thread, and hope that we can have a constructive around this topic. Maybe best to organise a separate thread for this?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
It’s a fair way out but decent prices on direct LHR-JFK for April next year in J. Out 1st Apr, back 6th is £1480. Similar prices to ORD & BOS
In addition IAD & PHL at similar prices
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:25 am

It saddens me how poor this thread has become. It has moved from people posting good fares to people (who in many cases, but not all) are begging for others to do their homework.

I support this thread being kept on track and off topic posts being moved somewhere else...

(and yes, I know I just contributed to the off topic posts)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
My personal preference when it comes to formatting is to have a wiki. And this is why I've just filled it up with fares I just found, enjoy

As for why: It's small, easy to go through, easy to update, and that really is what I care about. Less time spent reading and deciphering the fares, less time spent updating them.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
My personal preference when it comes to formatting is to have a wiki. And this is why I've just filled it up with fares I just found, enjoy

As for why: It's small, easy to go through, easy to update, and that really is what I care about. Less time spent reading and deciphering the fares, less time spent updating them.
I agree with this. Have all the fares listed in the Wiki. If someone posts a new one, someone could add to the top of the Wiki in a “New” section maybe.

Then you have here in the thread for discussions. Keeps it all in one place too.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
It saddens me how poor this thread has become. It has moved from people posting good fares to people (who in many cases, but not all) are begging for others to do their homework.
It actually applies to FT more widely, especially the subforum for premium fare deals. "Post a Google Flights link", "post some dates" etc. Hell, do your homework! Or how about using ExpertFlyer... And asking "I have X TPs missing and my membership year ends Y, help me" is just plain lame, because there's e.g. advices for it in the bloody wiki post...

And when you look at the broader picture, people just mainly grab the juice and don't give back to the community with fare deals, commentary, advice etc. It's just plain pillaging in my opinion. I myself don't post any fares on FT, because I see the importance of community and I hate people not contributing themselves/treating this as a mutual venture, rather just treating this like a free helpdesk and place to take advantage of what others have found. I could consider posting fares or example itineraries in the BAEC subforum, because the environment is slightly better than in the aforementioned subforum, but I think we first need to cut away all the ITA Matrix handholding etc. There's other correct subforums for that. I myself have learned by doing, which I expect others to do as well. It's not meant to be a free buffet. It's a community with mutual co-operation.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
It actually applies to FT more widely, especially the subforum for premium fare deals. "Post a Google Flights link", "post some dates" etc. Hell, do your homework! Or how about using ExpertFlyer... And asking "I have X TPs missing and my membership year ends Y, help me" is just plain lame, because there's e.g. advices for it in the bloody wiki post...

And when you look at the broader picture, people just mainly grab the juice and don't give back to the community with fare deals, commentary, advice etc. It's just plain pillaging in my opinion. I myself don't post any fares on FT, because I see the importance of community and I hate people not contributing themselves/treating this as a mutual venture, rather just treating this like a free helpdesk and place to take advantage of what others have found. I could consider posting fares or example itineraries in the BAEC subforum, because the environment is slightly better than in the aforementioned subforum, but I think we first need to cut away all the ITA Matrix handholding etc. There's other correct subforums for that. I myself have learned by doing, which I expect others to do as well. It's not meant to be a free buffet. It's a community with mutual co-operation.
Spot on. The problem of the huge flocks of posters who still need spoon-feeding is discouraging. But we need to keep a forum for all who search and find, and probably after making their own reservations, share the find with other forum participants. But, surely, the questions along the line of "please help me get 2700 TP before Nov 08, for max £1500 (to get CCR) ", should have another forum to ask for the help needed, not to obscure the view of good fares to be shared.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I personally think that TP run troubleshooting and assistance requests should be in their own thread, while actual TP run options are debated in a thread like the annual TP run thread.

I understand that all of us are beginners once, but that's not the beef here. My gripe is that the attitude is of the wrong kind. Quite a few seem to register and post just to ask their question, while looting the deals. And that also probably applies to FF blogs (and I suspect also certain FF YouTube creators) that pick up deals from here, but don't contribute to this community. It's indeed discouraging to see how the threads in the premium fare subforum most of the time seem to attract posters that are here just for the loot. I know, it's a valid reason to be here and there's nothing illicit about it, but I think it just doesn't contribute to the feeling of community and it makes the efforts of others go wasted.

It's so awesome how here in the BA/BAEC subforum there's all these excellent wikiposts and information threads that can be reached via the dashboard. I wish I would have enough knowledge to contribute (well, I've spotted some outdated stuff in e.g. the catering thread, but that's due to NTE being a seasonal destination ), but I've been grounded for several years now, so I'm just getting back into the habit of chasing TPs, Avios, in-flight catering experiences, sips of Castelnasty etc. I too do take advantage of what ideas I get on FT for my bookings or searching for other possible fares not covered here, but I at least try to post something to create discussion. For me it's not just a free buffet and e.g. I look forward to meeting other FT'ers as well in the future. Hopefully also going to have input for the wikiposts as well. At least I've already noticed the LHR-LGW and other LON airport guides would need updates.
BASW5 likes this.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; Apr 20, 2019 at 9:38 am
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:23 am

I’m in two minds about this. I’ve learned a lot from reading other people’s explanations of how to do particular things on Matrix and troubleshooting, and I wouldn’t want to lose that. Where possible (not very often!) I’ve tried to give back by posting myself.

On the other hand, it feels like there have been More “how can I get X from by Y” posts in recent months. Some of these are fine, especially where people engage with the wealth of information and say “I’m thinking about this option, or that one, what are your thoughts” and there’s a good discussion.

At other times it seems like people are expecting others to do all the work for them, and those kinds of posts tend to also (unsurprisingly) generate very similar answers of “do X”. Together these do clutter up the threads.

I would be wary of fragmenting information further, or if generating more work for the volunteers who organise the forum/threads. Having said that, perhaps it would be worth modifying the wiki, to clarify rules/etc, and trying to keep things up to date would help (deals, links to specific threads which expand on particular deals - I remember TLL had 2 threads, one for a deal/one for a DO, and often it was hard to remember where things had gone).
David_Doyle, BASW5 and Stez like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Can we have the Post# next to the fare in the wiki? This way it is easier to locate the original post (date and any details and know where to start reviewing).
squawk, Great_circle, RG1X and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Just want to highlight the thread I started in Premium Fares: LIS-(LHR/MAD)-GRU LA Business EUR 1200 r/t

LIS-LHR-GRU LAN Business Class roundtrip for £1,050 - with stopovers allowed in London for $100 extra (plus UK APD). Fare allows some creative routings for those looking to rack up tier points.
squawk and RG1X like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I agree with a lot of your comments. I’m just so grateful for the footwork done here as it has given me ideas I’d not had before. I’m now quite an Inverness afficioanada!

One question. In the wiki (why’s it called that? Sorry that makes two &#129325 There are fares for MAD - TLV and ALC- CAI. In which posts do they appear, as I’d like to find out if they’re still live and the time period to which they apply.
squawk and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I agree with a lot of your comments. I’m just so grateful for the footwork done here as it has given me ideas I’d not had before. I’m now quite an Inverness afficioanada!

One question. In the wiki (why’s it called that? Sorry that makes two &#129325 There are fares for MAD - TLV and ALC- CAI. In which posts do they appear, as I’d like to find out if they’re still live and the time period to which they apply.
Can’t answer the question about the dates but

Wiki

noun
  1. a website or database developed collaboratively by a community of users, allowing any user to add and edit content.
Named after Wikipedia
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Wiki

noun
  1. a website or database developed collaboratively by a community of users, allowing any user to add and edit content.
Named after Wikipedia
And further background, familiar to the HNL TP runners: 'Wiki is Hawaiian for "fast; quick."'
PUCCI GALORE, T8191 and gnomeza like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

One question. In the wiki (why’s it called that? Sorry that makes two ��) There are fares for MAD - TLV and ALC- CAI. In which posts do they appear, as I’d like to find out if they’re still live and the time period to which they apply.
Hi Pucci,

Those are mine, I just fiddle with Google flights and pull out a lot of fares at once, and as such won't be looking the exact details for each before I post them. It's more of a quantity over quality. I'm also programming an automated tool to pull all those fares at once, and hope it will be functional soon.

However if you want to find out, do go on Google Flights and search for those flights with flexible dates (my search is 1 week in any of the next 6 months). They were live a couple days ago so hopefully you should have some luck with that.

I've looked those up and could find that ALC-CAI was wide open for May, has a few dates available Jun-Aug, and then opens up again thereafter. Also you must book 7 days before departure and a 3 days minimum stay applies.

For MAD-TLV, this one has been around for a bit, but dates are quite sparse. Still a great deal for a lie-flat. Here's an example date: https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

Also needs to be booked 60 days before departure. Fare rules mention only those dates are valid:

FROM ISRAEL -
PERMITTED 08JAN 19 THROUGH 10APR 19 OR 24APR 19 THROUGH
30APR 19 OR 03MAY 19 THROUGH 04MAY 19 OR 07MAY 19
THROUGH 18MAY 19 OR 21MAY 19 THROUGH 17JUL 19 OR
18AUG 19 THROUGH 25SEP 19 OR 28SEP 19 THROUGH 02OCT 19
OR 25OCT 19 THROUGH 02NOV 19 OR 05NOV 19 THROUGH
13NOV 19 OR 16NOV 19 THROUGH 08DEC 19 OR 11DEC 19
THROUGH 19DEC 19 OR 07JAN 20 THROUGH 03APR 20 OR
16APR 20 THROUGH 31DEC 20 FOR EACH ON THE FIRST
INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.
TO ISRAEL -
PERMITTED 22JAN 19 THROUGH 11APR 19 OR 19APR 19 THROUGH
23APR 19 OR 03MAY 19 THROUGH 09MAY 19 OR 18MAY 19
THROUGH 21JUL 19 OR 04AUG 19 THROUGH 17AUG 19 OR
03SEP 19 THROUGH 30SEP 19 OR 03OCT 19 THROUGH 10OCT 19
OR 27OCT 19 THROUGH 30OCT 19 OR 02NOV 19 THROUGH
08NOV 19 OR 12NOV 19 THROUGH 04DEC 19 OR 07DEC 19
THROUGH 18DEC 19 OR 05JAN 20 THROUGH 02APR 20 OR
19APR 20 THROUGH 31DEC 20 FOR EACH ON THE FIRST
INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.
PUCCI GALORE and RG1X like this.

Last edited by thebigben; Apr 22, 2019 at 2:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.