Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
To be fair hotels are one of those places where everyone tries for an upgrade. Either because you are a frequent customer or because you have status.

...and because if it was booked by a BBC PM, it'll be the cheapest room going!
Simonmiller and AdFlyer like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:30 pm
PeS

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
To be fair hotels are one of those places where everyone tries for an upgrade. Either because you are a frequent customer or because you have status.
I do not. Although being fresh Hilton LTD, I never rely on upgrades and when a room type matters to me, I simply book the room I want. Any upgrade then is a nice bonus - I don't remember asking for an upgrade.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Boarding at EDI this evening, we were in Group 1 queue and waiting just at the end of the tensa barriers. Probably another 3 or 4 people behind me. A woman cuts right in front of us, says “I’m PRIORITY”, and tries to work her way up the queue.

A man a couple of people ahead of me blocks her. She says “I’m priority boarding”. he keeps his back turned and pretends not to hear her.

I say to her “We all are Group 1, I expect. are you looking for the end of the Group One queue?” She mutters something about “it’s hard to know which queue is which” as she retreats to the back of Group 1 queue and talks very loudly about people being bothered about two or three places and how we will all be standing on the air bridge.

To be fair she has a point, but we are British and we queue and we don’t accept queue jumpers that’s that.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BobServant
To be fair she has a point, but we are British and we queue and we don’t accept queue jumpers that’s that.
Some time back I got to the gate for an LHR-MAN flight after a queue had formed. The people at the back were rather vague about what they were queuing for but it was easy to walk down the side and ask people at the front. They were Group 1 so I joined the back of the queue and then had to work my way past a lot of people when Group 1 was called. Things seem to be a bit better organised now but it can still be tricky.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite

The same way that I know that old chestnut about the passenger pushing his way to the front of the queue saying ‘I must get through, do you know who I am,’ over and over, only to be met with the agent asking the group ‘can anyone help, this man appears to have forgotten who he is’ isn’t true, even though it seems to be retold all the time as a ‘real’ story. I believe there was at least one entry in FT in the very early days. You mustn’t believe everything you read!
I will say I know a generally reliable narrator who was on a KLM flight where there was a DYKWIA exchange that ended with the KLM flight attendant saying 'You are the problem!' and given the person reporting and cultures involved, I'm willing to believe that one.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Some time back I got to the gate for an LHR-MAN flight after a queue had formed. The people at the back were rather vague about what they were queuing for but it was easy to walk down the side and ask people at the front. They were Group 1 so I joined the back of the queue and then had to work my way past a lot of people when Group 1 was called. Things seem to be a bit better organised now but it can still be tricky.
This does happen but the queues were pretty bloomin’ obvious this time.

Blatant and unapologetic queue jumping I’d say.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:47 pm

I went somewhere, I think it was HEL, and I was the only Group 1 passenger; what a feeling of superiority as I settled into my Y seat (exit of course).
VSLover, buouxboy and AAtticus like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by LondonElite

The same way that I know that old chestnut about the passenger pushing his way to the front of the queue saying ‘I must get through, do you know who I am,’ over and over, only to be met with the agent asking the group ‘can anyone help, this man appears to have forgotten who he is’ isn’t true, even though it seems to be retold all the time as a ‘real’ story. I believe there was at least one entry in FT in the very early days. You mustn’t believe everything you read!
And don't forget the (probably) equally apocryphal alternative: 'do you know who I am?', 'I'm sorry sir, I've no idea, but I'm sure you'll remember in the morning'.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Boarding at EDI this evening, we were in Group 1 queue and waiting just at the end of the tensa barriers. Probably another 3 or 4 people behind me. A woman cuts right in front of us, says “I’m PRIORITY”, and tries to work her way up the queue.

A man a couple of people ahead of me blocks her. She says “I’m priority boarding”. he keeps his back turned and pretends not to hear her.

I say to her “We all are Group 1, I expect. are you looking for the end of the Group One queue?” She mutters something about “it’s hard to know which queue is which” as she retreats to the back of Group 1 queue and talks very loudly about people being bothered about two or three places and how we will all be standing on the air bridge.

Also being british no doubt we would gracefully let her go ahead if asked.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
and talks very loudly about people being bothered about two or three places and how we will all be standing on the air bridge.
Well why is she then bothered being at the end of queue? ;-)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Boarding at EDI this evening, we were in Group 1 queue and waiting just at the end of the tensa barriers. Probably another 3 or 4 people behind me. A woman cuts right in front of us, says “I’m PRIORITY”, and tries to work her way up the queue. A man a couple of people ahead of me blocks her. She says “I’m priority boarding”. he keeps his back turned and pretends not to hear her. I say to her “We all are Group 1, I expect. are you looking for the end of the Group One queue?” She mutters something about “it’s hard to know which queue is which” as she retreats to the back of Group 1 queue and talks very loudly about people being bothered about two or three places and how we will all be standing on the air bridge. To be fair she has a point, but we are British and we queue and we don’t accept queue jumpers that’s that.
I had one of those people a while back - "Coming through - I'm oneworld emerald!!" - not even an excuse me, but "coming through"!!

He picked the wrong person to try that one on.

I swivelled round, directly in his path, pulled my wallet out of my pocket, pulled out a couple of cards, and said rather stonily "I have two oneworld emerald cards, I'm flying First Class, and I was here first". It helps that I'm six foot three, and I find that standing just a little bit closer to someone so they have to crane their necks upwards to look at me adds to the impact.

I hate being a DYKWIA (and I know, having written the above, that I just sounded like one!) but I was perfectly happy staying in my place in the queue while the people in front of me were having their BPs and passports checked, and the fact that this aggravating little git was DEFINITELY being a DYKWIA sparked that little demon inside and I couldn't resist the temptation to take him down a peg or three.

BTW I should add that I don't fly enough to get two oneworld emerald cards of my own - I earnt my CX one the hard way, and the Memsahib is Enrich Platinum with MH and they give spouses an Enrich Platinum card as well

I am still waiting for the opportunity to use a phrase I heard a while ago in response to some other aggravating little git who had protested "I'm a first class passenger". The reply (which is classic) was "No, sir, you just have a first class ticket". When I do get the chance to use it, I am going to add "and if you can't tell the difference, that's WHY you're not a first class passenger".

OK, that's enough Mr Grumpy for this morning. I'm off to Bangkok this evening, and I am going to be as nice as I can be to everyone I meet just to make up for my former petulance. Probably
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Cue a post from 24 March.

New to Flyertalk but wanted to get something off my chest,

As a Gold member travelling to Gibraltar on the lunchtime flight yesterday there were at least 45 people in the group one line for priority boarding. I mean how can this be a thing. I said to them repeatedly that I was Gold so should be able to board first and I was basically ignored. Some of them seemed very inebriated.. I mean to BA just give Gold cards out with breakfast cereal now and I couldn’t even get an exit seat either....
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Ian two posts above, you must be a rugby player!

I don't get any of this fun on my regular Air France, KLM, Eurowings or Lufthansa flights. Everyone seems very behaved a procedural! TBH there don't seem to be masses of Platinums or Golds when I board by AF KL flights, but maybe I am on elite thin routes.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I've been a DYKWIA before I'm afraid. I didn't appreciate the lack of queue for F, so made my own.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Cue a post from 24 March.

New to Flyertalk but wanted to get something off my chest,

As a Gold member travelling to Gibraltar on the lunchtime flight yesterday there were at least 45 people in the group one line for priority boarding. I mean how can this be a thing. I said to them repeatedly that I was Gold so should be able to board first and I was basically ignored. Some of them seemed very inebriated.. I mean to BA just give Gold cards out with breakfast cereal now and I couldn’t even get an exit seat either....
The reality was even more bizarre, having had two go-arounds at GIB the aircraft then diverted and the innocent passengers were further compelled to endure the miscreant party-goers as they were all bussed back to GIB
WickedStepMother likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.