Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Well he's drawing a general conclusion from a fairly unusual circumstance. I can't remember the last time I queued more than 10 mins at LHR.
I don't travel as much as some on here, but I have the same experience as you. I think I've been through 6 times this year, and only once was there not a free gate -- there were 2 people in front of me.

I'm sure a Monday at 9am or Sunday at 6pm must be different, but then I tend not to travel at those times.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
La Cox had a rant on Twitter about Heathrow immigration on twitter last week. A couple of people pointed out it was better than most hubs and that scientists shouldn't be extrapolating from one case, but to no avail.

He seems to be a proper DYKWIA diva behind the cuddly public persona.
I was checking into a hotel in Manchester behind him a few years back and he was asking for an upgrade, mentioning he usually gets upgraded when he stayed there and he was disappointed he wasn't getting one this time, very diva from him, he mentioned he worked for the BBC also, quite DYKWIA. He then pretended he was on the phone when someone recognised him and wanted a photo - fair enough in my opinion, i'm not one to ask in these situations, presumably he was just so mad from not being upgraded...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
In the lounge as LYS a few days ago, a group of fairly loud middle aged women enter. One starts going on about how frequently they fly, the others lapping it up. Then the BA plane lands, and the frequent flyer of the group bursts out "doors to manual" as it taxies past, shortly followed by "did you know, the pilot let me say that once" and follows on by saying "Oh yes he saw I was on board so said come on [whatever her name was] you know the line".

I won't mention the fact they had all paid to get into the lounge (I could see the front desk from where I was sat) and appeared to be their first time in one going by all the oooh's, ahhhh's and countless "this is perfect" shortly after they entered. Anyone familiar with the lounge in Lyon will know its ok, but hardly anything ground breaking.
flygirl68 and PAL62V like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by BillyBleach

travelling through US preclearance in Dublin the other day, I have a CBP officer stamp my passport.

This is despite having GE. When asked he replied “because you not a US citizen”

I informed him that in the last 6 years since getting GE this was the first stamp I got. His face was priceless, as he was convinced he was right.
CBP used to regularly stamp my wife's US passport back before the APC kiosks came in.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Agneisse
Border Force staff should have put a sticker on the back of your passport, which airport staff recognize when it is shown to them.

Yes, that's been done, but hasn't helped. I've learned to keep the passport in pocket until I'm near the machines.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother

I met ‘our Brian’ at the buffet in the exec lounge of a hotel in Sydney a few years ago.
Did he attempt to jump the queue there as well?
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by GLA Flyer
Agreed

Sadly it's all gone a bit dull - obviously I am hearing a lot about how great his business is and all about his overachieving family. but no other BA gems
That's all very well, but please don't leave us hanging, I want to hear all about how his teenage son has just been appointed Secretary General at the UN; and how his daughter is faring on her solo mission to Mars...
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by flyslow
Not exactly DYKWIA, but I've seen that subject discussed quite heatedly across FT.
Correct answer is - to the person sitting behind you. In current case, to lovely gentleman in 12C on BA799 today. I wouldn't even had minded that much if wasn't accompanied by overwhelming aroma bouquet.

And what also puzzles me is how is that comfortable? I physically wouldn't be able to do that even if I wanted to.
I have had a passenger behind me do this on a couple of occasions. Both times, I am ashamed to admit, I was so shocked that I accidentally spilt my glass of iced water
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I had this happen too, and more than once. One time on an SK flight, where I must admit that I was a bit bored, I pointed out the smelly foot to the crew and asked if I could have a blanket to cover it while I was eating. Blanket was then topped up by the news paper accidentally left in the seat pocket. Funnily enough, the pax got the point and that foot stayed on the floor for the remainder of the flight
flygirl68, HMO and bisonrav like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by groovy_dhruvy

How do you know? It’s an except from her book.
The same way that I know that old chestnut about the passenger pushing his way to the front of the queue saying ‘I must get through, do you know who I am,’ over and over, only to be met with the agent asking the group ‘can anyone help, this man appears to have forgotten who he is’ isn’t true, even though it seems to be retold all the time as a ‘real’ story. I believe there was at least one entry in FT in the very early days. You mustn’t believe everything you read!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: BA (silver)
Originally Posted by LondonElite

The same way that I know that old chestnut about the passenger pushing his way to the front of the queue saying ‘I must get through, do you know who I am,’ over and over, only to be met with the agent asking the group ‘can anyone help, this man appears to have forgotten who he is’ isn’t true, even though it seems to be retold all the time as a ‘real’ story. I believe there was at least one entry in FT in the very early days. You mustn’t believe everything you read!
DId you actually read the excerpt? "Mr X/ Mrs Y challenged me because they didn't think I looked like I should be flying in business" is the theme of a large number of posts on this forum. I assume you think they are all made up too?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:37 am
Suspended

DId you actually read the excerpt? "Mr X/ Mrs Y challenged me because they didn't think I looked like I should be flying in business" is the theme of a large number of posts on this forum. I assume you think they are all made up too?
Did you read the whole passage? For me it the BS radar goes off at this point:

She sighed. ‘Let me explain. There is a big difference in the price of an economy and a business class ticket. The latter costs almost two and a half times more than . . .’I think it is three times more,’ her friend interrupted. ‘Exactly,’ said the woman. ‘So there are certain privileges that are associated with a business class ticket.’
...and just stays on high alert for the rest of the exchange. Do you really believe that the conversation unfolded that way? I'm not saying that something along the lines of 'are you sure you're in the right queue, this is for B U S I N E S S class passengers' didn't take place, but not what she wrote.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: BA (silver)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Did you read the whole passage? For me it the BS radar goes off at this point:

...and just stays on high alert for the rest of the exchange. Do you really believe that the conversation unfolded that way? I'm not saying that something along the lines of 'are you sure you're in the right queue, this is for B U S I N E S S class passengers' didn't take place, but not what she wrote.
Lol - fair point. However, I spend a decent amount of my time around entitled Indians. Looking down upon and patronising people 'beneath' us is engrained in our culture/cast system. Hence, this is exactly the sort of exchange I would expect!
mickeyjaw likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:27 am
Suspended

Lol - fair point. However, I spend a decent amount of my time around entitled Indians. Looking down upon and patronising people 'beneath' us is engrained in our culture/cast system. Hence, this is exactly the sort of exchange I would expect!
Yes, that I agree with. In the spirit of this thread, I can tell you that I'm friends with some very entitled Indians here who will regularly say things like 'it's such a shame, we Indians are the biggest racists on Earth! It really would be good if we could all be a bit more modern about these things,' before uttering something like 'can you believe I noticed a [insert some slang expression of lower caste Indians here] in the first class cabin when I cam back from Delhi yesterday, what is this world coming to?'
newfrequent and mickeyjaw like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
I was checking into a hotel in Manchester behind him a few years back and he was asking for an upgrade, mentioning he usually gets upgraded when he stayed there and he was disappointed he wasn't getting one this time, very diva from him, he mentioned he worked for the BBC also, quite DYKWIA.
To be fair hotels are one of those places where everyone tries for an upgrade. Either because you are a frequent customer or because you have status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.