Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Has this thread morphed into the Celebs on BA thread?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by BillyBleach

travelling through US preclearance in Dublin the other day, I have a CBP officer stamp my passport.

This is despite having GE. When asked he replied “because you not a US citizen”

I informed him that in the last 6 years since getting GE this was the first stamp I got. His face was priceless, as he was convinced he was right.
I have had this the few times I've flown from Dublin to the US. When I asked I was told that it was due to being able to access preclearance from connecting flights and so I may not have spoken to check-in staff who would have performed a visa check. This sounded made up to me (and I wasn't connecting any of the times I did so had had my visa checked), but as they've done it every time I've been though there does seem to be a different rule than GE in the US.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Agneisse
The interview officers have questionable knowledge of non-citizen/LPR entry requirements. I was also told erroneous information by mine, which took quite some effort to correct.
This isn't limited to US interview officers. I have Registered Traveler, which lets me use the EU gates to enter the UK. I always have to argue with the staff who spot the silly american who tries to use them, then love the look of shock from them when it works.
Hmm. Does that mean that I'm playing the DYKWIA card?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
La Cox had a rant on
about Heathrow immigration on twitter last week. A couple of people pointed out it was better than most hubs and that scientists shouldn't be extrapolating from one case, but to no avail.

He seems to be a proper DYKWIA diva behind the cuddly public persona.
Crismyth likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by bisonrav
La Cox had a rant on Twitter about Heathrow immigration on twitter last week. A couple of people pointed out it was better than most hubs and that scientists shouldn't be extrapolating from one case, but to no avail.

He seems to be a proper DYKWIA diva behind the cuddly public persona.
Or he has caught one of the days where Heathrow resembles a zoo? It's not like that airport does much to promote the UK as a first rate country...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Well he's drawing a general conclusion from a fairly unusual circumstance. I can't remember the last time I queued more than 10 mins at LHR.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:28 am

Well he's drawing a general conclusion from a fairly unusual circumstance. I can't remember the last time I queued more than 10 mins at LHR.
i think you've been lucky. It often works well, but I've been through a few long and tedious queues. It's particularly galling when they try to set up the multiple queues behind each machine rather than a single queue.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
i cant remember the last time I queued at all at T5. Yesterday at 1330 was another example where at T5 there were a number of free e-passport machines to pick from.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Live DYKWIA from Galleries First. A loud mouth passenger trying to impress a colleague who he has guested into the lounge is waxing lyrical (and vey loudly) that he is one of the BA's top 5 customers so he can demand anyone is removed from their seat if he prefers it and is guaranteed an upgrade to first on every flight (but turned it down this time so he could sit with his colleague). The only reason he is not in the CCR is because he finds the standards too low compared to GF.

He has just said the best bit - he was returning from SEA a few weeks ago and there was an hour delay and, due to holding at LHR, he was going to miss his connection. He, seemingly, informed the CSD, who told the pilot. Because MrDYKWIA is "so important to BA" the pilot overruled air traffic control and landed regardless just so he could make his connection. His colleague is lapping it up. I really want to say something but I'm enjoying just sitting here laughing quietly.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GLA Flyer
Live DYKWIA from Galleries First. A loud mouth passenger trying to impress a colleague who he has guested into the lounge is waxing lyrical (and vey loudly) that he is one of the BA's top 5 customers so he can demand anyone is removed from their seat if he prefers it and is guaranteed an upgrade to first on every flight (but turned it down this time so he could sit with his colleague). The only reason he is not in the CCR is because he finds the standards too low compared to GF.

He has just said the best bit - he was returning from SEA a few weeks ago and there was an hour delay and, due to holding at LHR, he was going to miss his connection. He, seemingly, informed the CSD, who told the pilot. Because MrDYKWIA is "so important to BA" the pilot overruled air traffic control and landed regardless just so he could make his connection. His colleague is lapping it up. I really want to say something but I'm enjoying just sitting here laughing quietly.
Sounds like a travel twice-a-year d-bag.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by gormless
This isn't limited to US interview officers. I have Registered Traveler, which lets me use the EU gates to enter the UK. I always have to argue with the staff who spot the silly american who tries to use them, then love the look of shock from them when it works.
Hmm. Does that mean that I'm playing the DYKWIA card?
Border Force staff should have put a sticker on the back of your passport, which airport staff recognize when it is shown to them.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sounds like a travel twice-a-year d-bag.
Agreed

Sadly it's all gone a bit dull - obviously I am hearing a lot about how great his business is and all about his overachieving family. but no other BA gems
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Agreed

Sadly it's all gone a bit dull - obviously I am hearing a lot about how great his business is and all about his overachieving family. but no other BA gems
You should have gone and asked whether it is indeed still 12 March, or you have missed a fast forward to 1 April!
What a plonker!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by gormless
I have Registered Traveler, which lets me use the EU gates to enter the UK. I always have to argue with the staff who spot the silly american who tries to use them, then love the look of shock from them when it works.
I've never had that issue with my Australian passport. They rarely stop me but if they do, I just smile and say "I am on the Registered Traveller Scheme" which rapidly settles the matter.

I've never got the sticker that Agneisse mentioned though (only the plastic card).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)

Priceless. A pilot overruling ATC... One can't help but wonder if the colleague in question is completely stupid, or utterly sycophantic.

Now, a DYKWMFI story...

Many, many years ago, my father (a very quiet and unassuming man, albeit of fearsome intellect) was visiting a client in India and was invited to dinner before his flight home (on BA, I haven't gone wholly off-topic!). He was getting increasingly anxious about missing his flight and several times said to his host that he really needed to head for the airport, only to be gently rebuffed each time, being told that there was plenty of time, that a chauffeur was on call, and so forth. When he was eventually allowed to leave - convinced by this stage that he was going to be too late - his host said that he would call the airport and my father would be fine. Dad was then driven not just to the airport, but onto the apron, where it turned out that someone seated in first class had been booted out, the plane had taxied away from the gate, a boarding ladder brought up to the plane, and the plane had been held by ATC until my father boarded - as soon as he had, the flight was cleared for take-off. He was hideously embarrassed by the whole incident, but no-one said a word. Perhaps that was just through politeness, but more probably because everyone on board thought that someone with enough clout to hold up a scheduled flight and get someone kicked out of F was not someone to pick a fight with!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.