DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
At First Wing security yesterday, there was a minor queue on each side. A lady in fur tried to bypass three of us to grab a tray at a space another pax left 0.7 sec before that. To justify her bad manners, she looked at the officer on the other side of the belt, saying "My husband is Professor, you know..." . He politely asked to see her BP, and directed her back in line "Madam, I see you have 3h before your flight, so you'll be fine waiting for your turn at the end of the line, please". The minor line of three was now 5 pax. Looking down at the floor, the woman sneaked back as directed.

Is there a subgroup to DYKWIA such as the DYKWMHI (Do You Know Who My Husband Is) ?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
A delightful American couple travelling from WAW to LHR a couple of days ago. Group boarding being done correctly, and everyone starting to line up in the right area. Up comes Mr and Mrs DYKIA who join the back of the Group 1 line just behind me (only about 10 people in it) so not a long line. She asks me "is this the Group 1 line" (valid question), I reply yes. I then get "are you in group 1", followed by "show me your boarding pass". Of course I decline to do this, verify that I am indeed in group 1.

He then pipes up with "he can't be flying First, I guess they must give status to anyone these days"

I then sulk back to my ET seat (row 5) having been firmly put back where I belong by Mr DYKWIA whilst they take up residence in 4A+C, suffice to say I heard every word of their comments to the cabin crew about how poor the service was, how they weren't able to board first, how small and uncomfortable the seats are, the food was terrible, the champagne was too cold and the bread was too hot.

Makes me wonder how people survive being so negative all the time!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by andrewr1985
A delightful American couple travelling from WAW to LHR a couple of days ago. Group boarding being done correctly, and everyone starting to line up in the right area. Up comes Mr and Mrs DYKIA who join the back of the Group 1 line just behind me (only about 10 people in it) so not a long line. She asks me "is this the Group 1 line" (valid question), I reply yes. I then get "are you in group 1", followed by "show me your boarding pass". Of course I decline to do this, verify that I am indeed in group 1.

He then pipes up with "he can't be flying First, I guess they must give status to anyone these days"

I then sulk back to my ET seat (row 5) having been firmly put back where I belong by Mr DYKWIA whilst they take up residence in 4A+C, suffice to say I heard every word of their comments to the cabin crew about how poor the service was, how they weren't able to board first, how small and uncomfortable the seats are, the food was terrible, the champagne was too cold and the bread was too hot.

Makes me wonder how people survive being so negative all the time!
A good illustration of: "The people who are the most difficult to please are often least worth pleasing" (unknown origin)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by andrewr1985
You did well there. I would have gone with W-T-F-D-Y-T-Y-A...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
This couple would have been astonished at the IB priority boarding line on a Friday afternoon MAD to LHR a couple weeks ago. More people than group following two put together I think. I just waited until the end and joined when it was down to the last 5-10.

something else I witnessed though was a passenger being turned away, who protested he should be priority, and later turned up in the business class seat behind me. Wonder what went wrong there as the person checking must have seen his seat number.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
This couple would have been astonished at the IB priority boarding line on a Friday afternoon MAD to LHR a couple weeks ago. More people than group following two put together I think. I just waited until the end and joined when it was down to the last 5-10.

something else I witnessed though was a passenger being turned away, who protested he should be priority, and later turned up in the business class seat behind me. Wonder what went wrong there as the person checking must have seen his seat number.
Maybe staff or Non-Rev - but I suspect they would get priority if they were traveling in business.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Not BA related, but Mrs S and daughter were having dinner last night prior to a talk by Dr Michael Mosley. Who should walk in without a reservation, but Dr Michael Mosley who left graciously when he was informed that the restaurant was fully booked. A lady at another table asked the waitress if she knew who that was, the answer was no, so said lady informed the waitress, who then replied that she'd never heard of him.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by strickers
Not BA related, but Mrs S and daughter were having dinner last night prior to a talk by Dr Michael Mosley. Who should walk in without a reservation, but Dr Michael Mosley who left graciously when he was informed that the restaurant was fully booked. A lady at another table asked the waitress if she knew who that was, the answer was no, so said lady informed the waitress, who then replied that she'd never heard of him.
... that makes two of us, then!
NoY, camsean, Steve_ZA and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
... that makes two of us, then!
Three. It also seems to have neither BA or any DYKWIA behaviour. Still its Sunday morning.
NoY, PAL62V, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Four! Had to look up google to find out who he is.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Originally Posted by rlnnpt

You did well there. I would have gone with W-T-F-D-Y-T-Y-A...
I have now reached the stage where I don't even respond sometimes, I have the benefit of speaking pretty good Italian so I just pretend I don't speak English very well if someone is being obnoxious
flying4workNfun likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fatmac70
Four! Had to look up google to find out who he is.
five, but then I've hardly ever heard of any of the celebs in that thread either.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by endoman
five, but then I've hardly ever heard of any of the celebs in that thread either.
Six! I had assumed from the story that he must be some big world star... according to Wikipedia, hes apparently a journalist who occasionally appears on the One Show!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:35 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
MM is a proper DYKWIA. Multiple accounts, well documented. I know (normal) people in some of the hospitals where he has filmed.
For some reason I am more forgiving of 'our Brian' trying it on. I guess I don't blame people for trying, I just blame them for being d*cks about it either during the attempt or after the fail
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Six! I had assumed from the story that he must be some big world star... according to Wikipedia, hes apparently a journalist who occasionally appears on the One Show!
Seven- no idea and even seeing a photo didn't help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.