Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
male companion is lapping it up - apparently he recently paid over 6k for a flight to Nigeria in World Traveller

and “frequent flyer lady” gets free Wi-fi on BA because she’s a regular

this is great
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by ratypus
male companion is lapping it up - apparently he recently paid over 6k for a flight to Nigeria in World Traveller

this is great
At least, it seems that they are a good match...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Classic DYKWIA talk overheard on my commute tonight - this girl telling her companion she flies BA “at least 6 times a year” and is one of their most frequent customers (eh?) - and because of this, she is always upgraded (eh?) - and apparently BA work out upgrades based on who they need to move around to balance the plane’s centre of gravity - is this a hitherto unknown factor in the mysterious upgrade algorithm?
That's actually a pretty impressive mangling of how the weight and balance calculations sometimes lead to seat reallocation on small planes under special circumstances.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
[left]male companion is lapping it up - apparently he recently paid over 6k for a flight to Nigeria in World Traveller
6k HKD?
PrimaVista likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Just came across a post in another thread from a former AA Load Planner who talks about how in the old days, a light passenger count on an MD-80 would indeed lead to a good number of the passengers getting upgrades to first for weight and balance reasons-

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30786993-post12.html

Interesting stuff for any other geeks like me
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:04 pm

this is great
6000 Naira, maybe....
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Just came across a post in another thread from a former AA Load Planner who talks about how in the old days, a light passenger count on an MD-80 would indeed lead to a good number of the passengers getting upgrades to first for weight and balance reasons-

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30786993-post12.html

Interesting stuff for any other geeks like me
We have experienced seat-shuffling on a very lightly-loaded Jet2 737 to LBA. Most pax either down the back or in the front few rows. We lost our Exit row seats in consequence, leaving just one gentleman on each side by the emergency exits.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Blue Soon, HH Diamond, SQ PPS Solitaire, EK Plat,
When I worked on turboprops, playing cabin musical chairs and bringing bags up from the hold could be a feature of every leg of the day. I felt bad for the pax, many of whom were already terrified and/or miffed by the aircraft size and presence of propellers. Looking back perhaps it knocked the DYKWIA out of some potential offenders.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I encountered the seat shifters many times in the days of the 732s almost always late in the evening returning to LHR with a very light load and everyone would be seated from the back.

I haven't seen it for years though.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: B A Gold
Not BA but when Virgin flew their first flights LHR to EDI I bagged 2A & 2B on 3rd day of route ... got on to find us and only 20 others on there and so shoved 10 rows back or so for “balance “. Just did not believe it
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Just had my first example of this in 2019.
Going through JFK security in priority lane and woman infront of me with one of the biggest carry ons I've ever seen. TSA official understandably asks to check her bag in the sizer (less than a foot away from her).

Immediately get an earful of "flown with this bag thousands of times" in barely concealed rage. Last thing I hear as I walk past is "I want to speak to your supervisor"

Really makes me shudder to see people cause such a fuss for what should be a 5 second job...

Last edited by tilal6991; Feb 18, 2019 at 6:38 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: LH
On IB flight MAD-GRU yesterday. Boarding starts early so by the time we got to gate from lounge all groups were already boarding. There was a jam at the jetbridge with good 60 people waiting to get to the plane. Then it happened, one lady is pushing her way through the pile showing everyone her BP saying the magic word 'priority, business class' and pushing forward. Too bad she passed us on the wider section so I could not say anything to her. I hope it was worthy for her to get few minutes earlier to the plane.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Not sure if this is a pure DYKWIA, but just witnessed a funny attempt to blag entry into the EDI Lounge... some guy claiming to be a journalist working on a piece about airport lounges, travelling on Ryanair, and wanted to write about this lounge

Sent on his way but it made me wonder how often this trick works?!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Not sure if this is a pure DYKWIA, but just witnessed a funny attempt to blag entry into the EDI Lounge... some guy claiming to be a journalist working on a piece about airport lounges, travelling on Ryanair, and wanted to write about this lounge

How embarrassing. If he was one he should have had a PRESS card, and happily that still wouldn't have gained him access. Clearly a chancer who made it up on the spot. .
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Lucanesque

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
How embarrassing. If he was one he should have had a PRESS card, and happily that still wouldn't have gained him access. Clearly a chancer who made it up on the spot. .
It should be pre-arranged with whoever deals with BA media/press to gain accreditation.

Absolutely a chancer.
Dicksbits and Lucanesque like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.