DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Get a piece of rolled up paper and tickle the sole of his foot. I bet it will freak him out and won't do it again

​​​​​​Before or after accidentally spilling half a bottle of water on it?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by onobond
Making a leftish turn just in front of me, he manages to run over my right foot, bag wriggles out of his hand, falls over to the front and slides about half a meter.
I often wonder what it is with such people. Coming into LGW last week over the North Terminal bridge some guy in a sand coloured track suit came surging down the escalator, missed the bottom step and went flying across the floor with his hand bag.

Dusting himself down he again set off again at a trot. About 5 mins later he was stood at baggage reclaim as we waited on the bags and he was still there 10 mins later when I collected my bag and exited the hall. All that was achieved was about a dozen people looking at him and thinking 'what a kn*b'.

Great entertainment though.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Well I'm sure I won't be alone here when I say it's much nicer if you get to disembark via a jetbridge than faff around with a bus. One of my grudges against LH is when the late Friday evening LCY-FRA planes get parked as far away as possible from the terminal so you get a 10-15mn bus ride back which negates the time you gained by using LCY rather than LHR...
​​​​​​
Not to the point of trying to leg it though 😂

But sometimes you get to a stand+bus with BA and see Easyjet or Wizz at an airbridge and fell like the LCC thing has been a bit too far..
Or seeing empty jet-bridges at the terminal while you're waiting to disembark on to busses at a remote stand.

Yes we've probably all been there and done that.
Understanding the semantics that the aircraft has been directed there by the airport because the aircraft is nightstopping and not because the airline is too tight to shell out a few more Euros for a jetbtidge and is not the fault of the cabin crew. Saw one guy berate a crew member about this at Milan once at which point the crew member turned to him and say "and in other news hundreds of people died in the earthquake not too far from here last week". Not the most professional response I would say but it was sobering enough to shut remote stand complainer up and into touch.
jctech likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
Or seeing empty jet-bridges at the terminal while you're waiting to disembark on to busses at a remote stand.

Yes we've probably all been there and done that.
Understanding the semantics that the aircraft has been directed there by the airport because the aircraft is nightstopping and not because the airline is too tight to shell out a few more Euros for a jetbtidge and is not the fault of the cabin crew. Saw one guy berate a crew member about this at Milan once at which point the crew member turned to him and say "and in other news hundreds of people died in the earthquake not too far from here last week". Not the most professional response I would say but it was sobering enough to shut remote stand complainer up and into touch.
You're right about the overnight piece, except... In HEL last weekend on a TP run, the plane which was overnighting was at a jetbridge gate, but the plane turning around at 4pm was stand+bus. So I can't really get a logic here.

Anyway, mini-rant over. And you're right, there are much worse problems in the world, this one is very much a #firstWorldProblem . I actually like that answer from the FA, puts things into perspective.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:47 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by bigwalrus
Or is just an utter d*ck?
This.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by alex67500
You're right about the overnight piece, except... In HEL last weekend on a TP run, the plane which was overnighting was at a jetbridge gate, but the plane turning around at 4pm was stand+bus. So I can't really get a logic here.

Anyway, mini-rant over. And you're right, there are much worse problems in the world, this one is very much a #firstWorldProblem . I actually like that answer from the FA, puts things into perspective.
The afternoon flight leaves in the middle of the longhaul wave and due to the ongoing constructions and amount of flights, HEL currently has not enough nonschengen gates for all these flights. Even longhaul flights (AY, QR, JL) leave from remote stands right now.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards

Mr D turns around to pick up bag, an is now rather close to where I'm standing. Was expecting an excuse, but got abuse, starting when he saw the bag (surely by co-incidence, also a TUMI) and found scratches on the front. "What the h-ll do you think you're doing? You have damaged my expensive bag!" My reply of "So sorry for your inconveniance, but I was standing still, when you ran your bag over my undamaged foot" encouraged him to step close up to me and say "In case you don't recognise me, better have a good look, so the next time you better get the f-ck out of my way". Before I had the possibility to counter with "Thank you, I wish you the same", he had run away and was about to enter the elevator.
What you could have said is that you are shortly to make him famous of Flyertalk....
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
"In case you don't recognise me, better have a good look, so the next time you better get the f-ck out of my way".
I'm itching to know who this DYKWIA/thug was. Did you recognise him?
Ronnie Pickering?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:41 am

Me too. Because it would be even better if you didnt.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by AirNurse
Holy cow, that is alarmingly poor behavior Too bad security makes you hand over sharp items...
Cold water can be brought on board from the terminal, or procured from helpful onboard crew members, and sometimes one's grip on the container may become weak while it is being held over such feet...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Former England cricketer Alan Lamb having a bit of a meltdown in his twitter about BA first class bag delivery having arrived on BA12 this morning...

It’s a series of tweets, I’ve just linked the first one.

Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Former England cricketer Alan Lamb having a bit of a meltdown in his twitter about BA first class bag delivery having arrived on BA12 this morning...

Not really a DYKWIA... BA always manage to get the crew bags off first, so why not First bags (or any priority bags for that matter).
VSLover, wrp96, florens and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc

https://twitter.com/allanlamb294/sta...908503553?s=21
Nice of him to also share a picture of his bag tag with the PNR on it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Not really a DYKWIA... BA always manage to get the crew bags off first, so why not First bags (or any priority bags for that matter).
interesting question.
Qatar Airways likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Pads
I'd be interested to know who;s responsibility it is to arrange the buses when there is a nightstop at a remote stand?
There isn’t really any arranging to be done, the system that controls all the flight information automatically “requests” buses if an aircraft is assigned to a remote stand. We just had to give the drivers’ office a call and arrange where to meet the bus and that was it. I can only speak for the airport I worked at (EDI), I imagine bigger airports have a more sophisticated system.

However, there wasn’t always enough buses to go around... that being said, there were just as many times that I’d picked up my bus and had to wait 10 minutes after the aircraft was on stand for the ramp to produce some steps!
Stez likes this.

Last edited by chinagrove; Jan 28, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.