Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by citygourmande
A few years ago (before I knew of FT otherwise I would have shared it then) I was waiting to board for LGW-RAK, the ground staff had arranged for a tour group to board before they announced boarding for priority/CE/ET etc. I started queuing with other priority/CE passengers on the assumption that boarding process will begin soon. Lady queuing behind me started moaning why this tour group was allowed to board before CE, ground staff simply responded that they were in a large group.

I don't know how this lady missed it because it was obvious that most of tour group were visually impaired and were accompanied by friends/carers who were assisting them. Lady continued to moan to me (or other people in the vicinity) so I just said "I think they just needed some assistance in boarding." Either she just didn't notice or she didn't care.
This reminded me of an individual I saw the other day who was so absorbed in his smartphone that he walked straight into, and practically kicked away, the white cane of a visually impaired person. He did have the bare minimum of grace necessary to look mortified by his boorish behaviour, although presumably this was lost on his unfortunate victim. My contribution was to say "nice" in a sarcastic way.
jah718 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by djbenedict
This reminded me of an individual I saw the other day who was so absorbed in his smartphone that he walked straight into, and practically kicked away, the white cane of a visually impaired person. He did have the bare minimum of grace necessary to look mortified by his boorish behaviour, although presumably this was lost on his unfortunate victim. My contribution was to say "nice" in a sarcastic way.

With a real DYKWIA they will have assumed you to be a prol who could not pronounce the name of your destination correctly....
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, EK Skywards Silver
I used to be ground staff at EDI and my favourite incident wasn’t really a DYKWIA, but a nice illustration of the two kinds of frequent flyer:

Back when we were borrowing QR planes to make up for shortfalls, I was guarding the wing during boarding one of those flights. The QR crew weren’t really used to our turnaround times and took longer than expected to give us clearance, meaning I was holding the passengers in the tunnel (the usual reason behind FT’s favourite activity) when the first person in the queue tapped me on the shoulder and started quizzing me about why it was QR rather than BA.

After explaining that we’d leased another aircraft rather than cancelling, she shot back that “QR were terrible, we should have cancelled the flight”
I wasn’t totally sure how to respond to that, but someone a few places back the line summed it up nicely by shouting “don’t be so bloody dramatic!”

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
There's a few entitled wallopers amongst the GLA-LHR regulars I've come across over the years, but nothing like the city plums on the peak time EDI-LCY services. Flying off-peak definitely reduces the number of DYKWIA incidents I witness.
The EDI-LCY flights were at times traumatic to board and disembark due to the level of abuse staff could receive at the gate, but the nightstops on remote stands were another ball game. There were times that I had call in the police meet a coach at the gate due to passenger’s behaviour on a number of occasions, even had a passenger run across the taxiway in front of an aircraft rather than board a coach!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by djbenedict
One in a similar note happened to me about 2 years ago. Off the train from LHR T5 C gates to A and up in the lift. On exiting the lift I'm first off and go straight to the corner of the lift exit and the corridor to turn left. This guy, dragging a big heavy cabin max bag (EG TUMI), sprints from behind, cuts the corner, and his heavy bag goes right over my foot (yes the one that had just had a toenail ripped off in a sporting incident) and I voiced Ouch.

He turned and gave me a stare like how dare my leg be in the way of his bag as he barged past. I said, "you just whacked into me with your bag". He then said angrily " you should have looked and you should have got out of MY way, I'm in a hurry to get to beat the queue". What at 4.55 am.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by chinagrove
The EDI-LCY flights were at times traumatic to board and disembark due to the level of abuse staff could receive at the gate, but the nightstops on remote stands were another ball game. There were times that I had call in the police meet a coach at the gate due to passenger’s behaviour on a number of occasions, even had a passenger run across the taxiway in front of an aircraft rather than board a coach!
Well I'm sure I won't be alone here when I say it's much nicer if you get to disembark via a jetbridge than faff around with a bus. One of my grudges against LH is when the late Friday evening LCY-FRA planes get parked as far away as possible from the terminal so you get a 10-15mn bus ride back which negates the time you gained by using LCY rather than LHR...
​​​​​​
Not to the point of trying to leg it though 😂

But sometimes you get to a stand+bus with BA and see Easyjet or Wizz at an airbridge and fell like the LCC thing has been a bit too far..
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:06 pm

Who "owns" armrests

Not exactly DYKWIA, but I've seen that subject discussed quite heatedly across FT.
Correct answer is - to the person sitting behind you. In current case, to lovely gentleman in 12C on BA799 today. I wouldn't even had minded that much if wasn't accompanied by overwhelming aroma bouquet.

And what also puzzles me is how is that comfortable? I physically wouldn't be able to do that even if I wanted to.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:18 pm

Holy cow, that is alarmingly poor behavior Too bad security makes you hand over sharp items...
PAL62V likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:37 pm

That foot photo brought back memories of when I brought my old man to Israel to see long-lost relatives.

We were on one of those green Egged buses and I had my elbow resting on the armrest when it was nudged away by something. That something was the naked foot of the babushka sitting behind who, in a very Soviet-zero-f**ks-given-way, had decided that she had to fashion a footrest out of where my arm had been lying. Class.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyslow
Not exactly DYKWIA, but I've seen that subject discussed quite heatedly across FT.
Correct answer is - to the person sitting behind you. In current case, to lovely gentleman in 12C on BA799 today. I wouldn't even had minded that much if wasn't accompanied by overwhelming aroma bouquet.

And what also puzzles me is how is that comfortable? I physically wouldn't be able to do that even if I wanted to.
At least nobody was sitting in 11C. It happened once to my wife when she was sitting in 11C (it was another seat number but it makes it easier to have a number for the whole story). Passenger in 12C put his feet on her armrest. I was on the other side of the aisle so she started gesturing to me about the smell (pinching her nose). Wife of passenger in 12C was on the other side of the aisle in Row 12. She noticed my wife's behaviour so she was the one that told her husband to remove his feet. It's good because the next move of my wife would have been to "inadvertently" whack that smelly feet.
Nickl, wrp96 and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:42 pm

I hope those same socks weren't walking in the toilet earlier.....
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
One in a similar note happened to me about 2 years ago. Off the train from LHR T5 C gates to A and up in the lift. On exiting the lift I'm first off and go straight to the corner of the lift exit and the corridor to turn left. This guy, dragging a big heavy cabin max bag (EG TUMI), sprints from behind, cuts the corner, and his heavy bag goes right over my foot (yes the one that had just had a toenail ripped off in a sporting incident) and I voiced Ouch.

He turned and gave me a stare like how dare my leg be in the way of his bag as he barged past. I said, "you just whacked into me with your bag". He then said angrily " you should have looked and you should have got out of MY way, I'm in a hurry to get to beat the queue". What at 4.55 am.
Short of 2 years ago, a falling accident left me with 3 fractures on the left side, foot (5th metatarsal), wrist (scaphoid) and shoulder (glenoid). So, one week before a 16 day trip OTP-PHX r/t, with EU positioning to/from OTP, some domestic US positioning flights together with a nested JFK-LHR-MCT return, I faced travelling reality with an uncomfortable partial armour of a plastic boot, a custom made plastic cast for the arm leaving little movement of the fingers and covering the elbow, together with the same arm package in a sling around the neck.

Coming back from a B2B to OTP, I had just picked up my bag at T5 Left Luggage, on my way to an elevator to access the Tube, I got a phone call, and having only one usable hand, I stopped to answer. Along comes a man, soon to be my Mr DYKWIA man of the year. He is half-sprinting with a phone in his right hand, talking loudly into that, and also almost screaming to other people to "Move away, I need to check in for a flight!" In his left hand a seemingly heavy loaded black plastic roller, wiggling behind him as he zig-zags between all living obstacles he's facing on his way. Making a leftish turn just in front of me, he manages to run over my right foot, bag wriggles out of his hand, falls over to the front and slides about half a meter.

Mr D turns around to pick up bag, an is now rather close to where I'm standing. Was expecting an excuse, but got abuse, starting when he saw the bag (surely by co-incidence, also a TUMI) and found scratches on the front. "What the h-ll do you think you're doing? You have damaged my expensive bag!" My reply of "So sorry for your inconveniance, but I was standing still, when you ran your bag over my undamaged foot" encouraged him to step close up to me and say "In case you don't recognise me, better have a good look, so the next time you better get the f-ck out of my way". Before I had the possibility to counter with "Thank you, I wish you the same", he had run away and was about to enter the elevator.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by onobond
Short of 2 years ago, a falling accident left me with 3 fractures on the left side, foot (5th metatarsal), wrist (scaphoid) and shoulder (glenoid). So, one week before a 16 day trip OTP-PHX r/t, with EU positioning to/from OTP, some domestic US positioning flights together with a nested JFK-LHR-MCT return, I faced travelling reality with an uncomfortable partial armour of a plastic boot, a custom made plastic cast for the arm leaving little movement of the fingers and covering the elbow, together with the same arm package in a sling around the neck.

Coming back from a B2B to OTP, I had just picked up my bag at T5 Left Luggage, on my way to an elevator to access the Tube, I got a phone call, and having only one usable hand, I stopped to answer. Along comes a man, soon to be my Mr DYKWIA man of the year. He is half-sprinting with a phone in his right hand, talking loudly into that, and also almost screaming to other people to "Move away, I need to check in for a flight!" In his left hand a seemingly heavy loaded black plastic roller, wiggling behind him as he zig-zags between all living obstacles he's facing on his way. Making a leftish turn just in front of me, he manages to run over my right foot, bag wriggles out of his hand, falls over to the front and slides about half a meter.

Mr D turns around to pick up bag, an is now rather close to where I'm standing. Was expecting an excuse, but got abuse, starting when he saw the bag (surely by co-incidence, also a TUMI) and found scratches on the front. "What the h-ll do you think you're doing? You have damaged my expensive bag!" My reply of "So sorry for your inconveniance, but I was standing still, when you ran your bag over my undamaged foot" encouraged him to step close up to me and say "In case you don't recognise me, better have a good look, so the next time you better get the f-ck out of my way". Before I had the possibility to counter with "Thank you, I wish you the same", he had run away and was about to enter the elevator.
A definite contender for c**k of the year.
lhrpete, toothy, estate and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by chinagrove

I'd be interested to know who;s responsibility it is to arrange the buses when there is a nightstop at a remote stand? I always feel sorry for the crew as it seems like the airport isn't expecting the plane and I've experienced waits of up to 20 minutes on board which the crew has to try and explain away.
copperfield27 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by onobond

Not trying to excuse the behaviour - which is appalling - but I wonder what was going on in his head at the time. Is this how he behaves with everyone, day to day, or is it genuinely brought on by being under pressure to make his flight?

Or is just an utter d*ck?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Get a piece of rolled up paper and tickle the sole of his foot. I bet it will freak him out and won't do it again
Cotumely and TWCLAM like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.