DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Old Dec 9, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: QF WP
I was on an Airnorth flight the other day and the bloke in front of me had not one but 2 qantas silver (=OWR) tags on his qantas branded laptop bag (I wasn’t quick enough to get a picture)

the next day he just happened to be on my DRW-MEL sector (somewhere up the back), came forward to use the J toilets where the [CSM?] was doing sterling work sending everyone to the back. About 3 hours later he made a further attempt but for the avoidance of doubt brought the laptop bag and 2 tags with him. [CSM] not impressed by this 😂😂
Old Dec 9, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
We had a shouty one at GRU on Saturday night.

Brazil apparently has a law giving priority in many areas to people over 60.

GRU interprets this as "board with specials" i.e. before Group 1. I am not joking if I say that probably 100 pax fell into that category

Now, we found this quite funny as we were going to be sat in CW , so no lack of bin space etc. Mr Shouty Tool though felt the need to get into it with one of the GAs and display his lack of Brazilian legal knowledge and overall tool-ness at top volume...

When we were eventually all on, he was also in CW so his rant was utterly pointless.

As a final point of amusement, the second the seatbelt sign went off @ LHR, he grabbed his bag and legged it to 1L (yes, straight through First). The aisles then filled up behind him. Then there was a problem with the jetbridge which after several minutes led to it being repositioned at 2L - where we happened to be standing So he ended up being 25th or something off the plane. Ahhh, mini-Karma is a beach
Old Dec 9, 19, 3:34 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Wasn't on a BA flight, but still ...

We're loaded and ready to close the doors and go. A few minutes later here comes a late arrival, a lady with three fairly large bags plus her coat. Overhead bins are all full, but the late arrival opens a few anyway and decides to try rearranging things. She pulls out several bags belonging to other people, puts her own stuff in the bin, then sits down and gets settled in, leaving the bags she extracted sitting in the aisle.

Thankfully the flight attendants watching this performance stepped in before things got ugly. Original bags were replaced in the bins, Ms. Newcomer's bags got checked in spite of her loud objections, and she continued fuming for the rest of the flight about how she has never been treated this way, she'll have their jobs for this, how dare they, yadda yadda yadda.
percysmith, estate, T8191 and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 4:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Now that really is unbelievable. What makes people think they can act like that.
Old Dec 9, 19, 6:09 pm

Ah! The real DYKWIA thread is finally back on track.
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
Wasn't on a BA flight, but still ...

We're loaded and ready to close the doors and go. A few minutes later here comes a late arrival, a lady with three fairly large bags plus her coat. Overhead bins are all full, but the late arrival opens a few anyway and decides to try rearranging things. She pulls out several bags belonging to other people, puts her own stuff in the bin, then sits down and gets settled in, leaving the bags she extracted sitting in the aisle.

Thankfully the flight attendants watching this performance stepped in before things got ugly. Original bags were replaced in the bins, Ms. Newcomer's bags got checked in spite of her loud objections, and she continued fuming for the rest of the flight about how she has never been treated this way, she'll have their jobs for this, how dare they, yadda yadda yadda.
I was on the receiving end of something similar a couple of years back. I may have even mentioned it in the DYKWIA thread at the time? Can't remember now, but I'll share again.

Boarded with group 1, bag in the overhead and settled in - can't remember my exact seat, but for arguments sake, lets say I was in 5A. Towards the end of boarding, a guy comes along, pops open the overhead where my bag is, pulls it out and asks whos bag it was.

Erm, mine, why?

"I'm just going to move it back there (pointing to somewhere around row 10 where the nearest space was), so I can get my bag in here"

NO, you'll put MY bag back where it was and put YOUR bag back there.

Cue a lot of moaning from him, but he did put his bag back there without too much protest before plonking himself down in 5D.

I remember him being the kind who seemed like he is used to getting his own way, by telling people what he wanted rather than asking. Sorry, that doesn't wash with me, especially when you're being a....
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:37 am

Programs: Mucci - Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
One for the year-end (apologies for the long post)…

At the CX lounge in BKK waiting for the CX750 (11:40am flight) to HKG a week or two ago, a guy (I am deliberately not using the term gentleman, as that is the last thing he could be called) decides it is appropriate to blast some tv show out on max volume from his phone whilst laughing loudly at it. Most people around are looking at him in disbelief, and so I decide to calmly go and say “excuse me, would you mind using earphones as you are disturbing everybody around you?”.

Guy laughs and says “okay”, and the (true) gentleman two seats down gives me a thumbs up on my way back to my seat.

Fast-forward one or two minutes, it sunk into his thick head that someone had dared stand up to him, and he comes over clearly seeking confrontation (he is a big guy, I am not). I half-way ignored him and just looked in disbelief while he threatened me, questioning “do you often do that? – approaching people you don’t know like that? You’re nothing, you’re nobody. Who are you to decide who is disturbed? Who is disturbed by me”… Cue, I gesture to the guy two seats down who chips in saying "you are disturbing me, this is supposed to be an executive lounge with peace and quiet for people to work".

Loud guy then steps up his threatening behaviour and says sternly to me “don’t ever do that again” while moving closer to me. Then walks off, seeing nobody will give him the pleasure of succeeding in his bullying.

Funniest part for me was immediately afterwards, when a third guy comes up to me saying he just wanted to applaud me for standing up to people like that, that the world needs more people doing that, and that “the bullies like that seem to always be of a certain nationality, wearing mismatching suits and ugly socks”

I saw the guy in the priority queue for boarding, but then he turned right – so hope he enjoyed his Y class seat…

So, "gentleman two seats down", if you are reading this - thanks for the support! ^
flygirl68, T8191, _kurt and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
One for the year-end (apologies for the long post)…

At the CX lounge in BKK waiting for the CX750 (11:40am flight) to HKG a week or two ago, a guy (I am deliberately not using the term gentleman, as that is the last thing he could be called) decides it is appropriate to blast some tv show out on max volume from his phone whilst laughing loudly at it. Most people around are looking at him in disbelief, and so I decide to calmly go and say “excuse me, would you mind using earphones as you are disturbing everybody around you?”.

Guy laughs and says “okay”, and the (true) gentleman two seats down gives me a thumbs up on my way back to my seat.

Fast-forward one or two minutes, it sunk into his thick head that someone had dared stand up to him, and he comes over clearly seeking confrontation (he is a big guy, I am not). I half-way ignored him and just looked in disbelief while he threatened me, questioning “do you often do that? – approaching people you don’t know like that? You’re nothing, you’re nobody. Who are you to decide who is disturbed? Who is disturbed by me”… Cue, I gesture to the guy two seats down who chips in saying "you are disturbing me, this is supposed to be an executive lounge with peace and quiet for people to work".

Loud guy then steps up his threatening behaviour and says sternly to me “don’t ever do that again” while moving closer to me. Then walks off, seeing nobody will give him the pleasure of succeeding in his bullying.

Funniest part for me was immediately afterwards, when a third guy comes up to me saying he just wanted to applaud me for standing up to people like that, that the world needs more people doing that, and that “the bullies like that seem to always be of a certain nationality, wearing mismatching suits and ugly socks”

I saw the guy in the priority queue for boarding, but then he turned right – so hope he enjoyed his Y class seat…

So, "gentleman two seats down", if you are reading this - thanks for the support! ^
I had a similar experience in the T5 Sofitel lounge earlier this year. A guy in his late 50's was watching a loud TV show on a tablet while guzzling glasses of wine like they were going out of fashion, disturbing those around him. Another customer asked the lounge attendant to do something about it and she did go and say something to him but he ignored her.

I very politely asked him if he'd mind turning it down a bit. His response was lots of swearing and shouting. His basic message was "who are you to tell me what to do" I reminded him I was making a polite request and he muttered a few more expletives but turned the device off. Obviously use to getting his own way. I do think in these situations if one can continue to be calm and speak quietly it often works much better than rising to the bait.
flygirl68, _kurt and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:03 am

Programs: Mucci - Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller View Post
I very politely asked him if he'd mind turning it down a bit. His response was lots of swearing and shouting. His basic message was "who are you to tell me what to do" I reminded him I was making a polite request and he muttered a few more expletives but turned the device off. Obviously use to getting his own way. I do think in these situations if one can continue to be calm and speak quietly it often works much better than rising to the bait.
These people are sadly everywhere these days... I was ready to point out to him that he should consider very carefully what he would do next, as an airport is swamped with CCTV cameras...
argonath likes this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:06 am

I applaud those of you that do stand up to the phone loudspeaker brigade. I did it only once to a guy in T3 arrivals (who was literally screaming his card details over the phone) and almost got a Glaswegian in return...
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
I applaud those of you that do stand up to the phone loudspeaker brigade. I did it only once to a guy in T3 arrivals (who was literally screaming his card details over the phone) and almost got a Glaswegian in return...
I have experienced the same in the Aspire lounge at MAN T1 - guy sitting directly in front of a "Quiet zone" sign with his wife (who became clearly embarrassed) blasting out loud music, when I walked over asking him politely to respect that sign - he goes ballistic, walking to my table threatening to put me in the ground multiple times. Had I had enough time on my hands (or been willing to miss the flight), I would have gone to the reception asking them to call the police, but figured I would rather get home. So I let him rant and ignored him.

Had he been on my flight, I would have had a word with the captain though - sadly he was not..

But well, it was MAN after all, so the clientele is a bit.. ehm.. mixed
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Good to see you standing up. I usually ask Lounge Manager to intervene first. On friday flying out of FRA in JAL First Lounge .... gentlemen was on the phone having a meeting with his colleeagues, just then the lounge manager (whom i know well) was walking through the lounge and heard him, she took one look at me and then picked up the notice sitting next to him about no mobile phone usage (there is a phone room at JAL for this purpose). He did look quite embarrased as she didn't say anything, just showed it to his face and then put the sign back down next to him. He was off the phone immediately.
SKT-DK, flygirl68, estate and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Did you ask him for his postcode? Now you had the rest of the card details, you might as well
dpfs likes this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by deboyzoned View Post
Good to see you standing up. I usually ask Lounge Manager to intervene first. On friday flying out of FRA in JAL First Lounge .... gentlemen was on the phone having a meeting with his colleeagues, just then the lounge manager (whom i know well) was walking through the lounge and heard him, she took one look at me and then picked up the notice sitting next to him about no mobile phone usage (there is a phone room at JAL for this purpose). He did look quite embarrased as she didn't say anything, just showed it to his face and then put the sign back down next to him. He was off the phone immediately.
Ahem, this is a DYKWIA thread, not one for stories of people who immediately acknowledge when they are in the wrong and change their behaviour!
fartoomanyusers and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 View Post
Did you ask him for his postcode? Now you had the rest of the card details, you might as well
Funnily enough, that’s when I piped up. Chappie had given his Amex number, 4-digit number and expiry date. As he readied himself for the address details I went over to him to let him know the entire Giraffe café was listening and could potentially nick his card.

He took it very badly, starting throwing abuse, stood up at my level, then something must’ve kicked in his brain and moved on. My colleagues arrived for our meeting as the guy was basically in my face and asked me to stop picking up random people at a bar on office hours!

Search this Thread