Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I got the distinct impression it was because of the bar - he was complaining they would just have to bring him drinks all the time.
To be fair, the QR bar is superb. I was used to the VS one before, but that one on the A380, just knocks your socks off. I'd like to try it heading east once, I saw it on the way back from Sydney and its wasted on a night flight. All those little canapes sitting out untouched...

For those who've not seen it before, I'd estimate about 6 rows of J was removed to make it, at least. A380 QR Bar
Dover2Golf and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Smid
To be fair, the QR bar is superb. I was used to the VS one before, but that one on the A380, just knocks your socks off. I'd like to try it heading east once, I saw it on the way back from Sydney and its wasted on a night flight. All those little canapes sitting out untouched...

For those who've not seen it before, I'd estimate about 6 rows of J was removed to make it, at least. A380 QR Bar
I can attest to the bar being wonderful. Although it was a bit empty and soul-less when I was in there. Would've been nice to have a few more people, and perhaps the football on the telly......
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I can attest to the bar being wonderful. Although it was a bit empty and soul-less when I was in there. Would've been nice to have a few more people, and perhaps the football on the telly......
Is there a dart board?

Doc Copper
PAL62V, T8191, alex67500 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unless it's a bunch of drunken Finns crowding the rest of us out with their vocal bonhomie...

It's OK, I wanted to sleep anyway guys GRRRRRRRR
PAL62V likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:39 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Try MAN-DXB on EK... Empty and soulless it won't be
PAL62V, twincheeks and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Try MAN-DXB on EK... Empty and soulless it won't be
*silently crosses off EK DXB-MAN off list of options for flying to see dying relative in Leeds*
DYKWIA, PAL62V, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by nancypants
…I can’t decide if there’s lots of high level frequent flyers who don’t know basic stuff like that being a frequent flyer doesn’t make their discount economy ticket become magically fully flexible etc…
This - I would get lots of this on the phone in reservations. "But I'm Silver!" they would protest. Yes, you are, and that has various lovely benefits; but that doesn't make your ticket changeable/refundable/upgradeable/include hotel accomodation…"
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Smid

It's like Arnold used to say: "No pain, no gain"
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
This one is actually an "un-DYKWIA" story, but good nonetheless!

I arrived from the lounge at MUC this afternoon to find gate C10 had a long queue. Reckoning that this was because boarding had already started, I went to the front to enquire about Group 1 priority boarding. The answer I received took a while to digest: I was told tha they had finished with Group 1 and were now boarding the rest, so I had to go to the back of the queue! There were 2 other passengers with me and both thought this quite bizzare. so we decided to have a little joke with the gate agent. We waited at the front until all the others had boarded and then I went up to the agent and asked if this was now the boarding for "Group 7". Well, she didn't get the joke, but the 3 of us (all strangers) had a good chuckle ...
estate, u01sss3, timma1971 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by mikebg
Well, she didn't get the joke
There's a clue here:

Originally Posted by mikebg
I arrived from the lounge at MUC this afternoon
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have to report an opposite of DYKWIA. On my recent BA flight, the chap in 2F was stowing his bag in the overhead locker. Upon seeing me (from 1F) look up to the overhead locker for some space to dump my handbag, he pushed his bag rearward to give me space for it as smiled to me.

Of course I thanked him, but it felt it wasn't quite enough, because it really made my day that someone was paying attention to what other people were doing, and being ever so considerate, and the fact that he realised going further back to retrieve one's bag is a pain...

How lovely was that??? I know it's a DYKWIA thread, but can we start reporting the opposite, good examples as well? Maybe people will start to realise that a little random act of consideration is really appreciated by some and start acting like this lovely young chap?
Wong Jnr, SKT-DK, estate and 16 others like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 14, 2019 at 5:32 am
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I know it's a DYKWIA thread, but can we start reporting the opposite, good examples as well?
A WAKWWA thread? We Already Know Who We Are
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I know it's a DYKWIA thread, but can we start reporting the opposite, good examples as well? Maybe people will start to realise that a little random act of consideration is really appreciated by some and start acting like this lovely young chap?
I did not search for one, but you could always start a "random acts of kindness" one yourself.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I exchanged 1K for 2K on a 744 so a couple could sit together. Walked off the flight with an unopened bottle of LPGS for being so understanding.

Two acts of kindness in one reply has to be the record to beat?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have to report an opposite of DYKWIA. On my recent BA flight, the chap in 2F was stowing his bag in the overhead locker. Upon seeing me (from 1F) look up to the overhead locker for some space to dump my handbag, he pushed his bag rearward to give me space for it as smiled to me.

Of course I thanked him, but it felt it wasn't quite enough, because it really made my day that someone was paying attention to what other people were doing, and being ever so considerate, and the fact that he realised going further back to retrieve one's bag is a pain...

How lovely was that??? I know it's a DYKWIA thread, but can we start reporting the opposite, good examples as well? Maybe people will start to realise that a little random act of consideration is really appreciated by some and start acting like this lovely young chap?
Nice. But isn’t it sad that you found this notable rather than normal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.