Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
We OAPs can be very dangerous when roused!
you still get roused......?!

Sorry. I’ve already told myself off, but (no pun intended) I couldn’t help myself!!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Bellerina
... Older couple (at least 65+) boarded a couple minutes after me and threw and absolute FIT that someone had "taken their bin". ...

To be fair, they did get in and out of the bin multiple times during the flight to get stuff.
There we go, ageist again!!

Frequent-flying OAPs are far more organised, and get their books/magazines/medications out before sitting down. This can, of course, take up to 5 minutes for some - we usually take <30 seconds
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by PETER01
Bin space doesn't belong to one specific seat holder but I suppose in this case imagine if their bags were to the row in front of them and they were up and down many a time so for those passengers you probably done the right thing.

Was there no space in the central bins ahead of you?
Nope, not in the bin directly ahead of me. And either way I'd be taking someone's else bin (if you use the logic of this couple).
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Frequent-flying OAPs are far more organised, and get their books/magazines/medications out before sitting down. This can, of course, take up to 5 minutes for some - we usually take <30 seconds
Lol, as a millenial, I'm used to people grouping me into a bad bunch because of my age. *shrugs* But you're right, being a bit ageist. I should have said they seemed to loosely be with a large tour group (that was all senior citizens). There were people in the aisles ahead that were all talking about some cruise or something with them at one point. All of those Alaska cruises from Seattle, I'm used to lots of tourists.

They definitely did not strike me as frequent flyers. Not sure how many years it's been since they last traveled and whether there was different etiquette for bin space when the Wright Brothers flew
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
If the shoe fits. OAP with red trousers are the worst!

Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
From Twitter, Don't You Know S/He's a GC Holder?

EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by Row9
From Twitter, Don't You Know S/He's a GC Holder?

I do feel her frustration maybe travelling on 8th Sept- BA tells you the flight is ‘cancelled’. With that information she IMHO rightly cancels and gets refund and then hears it’s not and then try’s to get back on same flight and costs £500 - no idea what was the original fare- I also got a 8th Sept your flight is cancelled! And now it’s not cancelled. Fortunately I did not react as I am flying on a route that has multiple flights and options on the day. What a farce!! If the IAG execs put effort into running an airline group and not how to get the biggest bonus things may improve. I see Walsh is noticeable by his absence this weekend!!
frasier, nancypants and acucobol like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by fatmac70
What a farce!! If the IAG execs put effort into running an airline group and not how to get the biggest bonus things may improve. I see Walsh is noticeable by his absence this weekend!!
IAG has no incentive to make things better, they want customers to be miserable to the maximum extent of the law. The hope is that people say "Screw those pilots going on strike" instead of "Screw Walsh and the executives for collecting massive bonuses on the backs of the pilots."
Dover2Golf and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Today's dilemma... should I DYKWIA?

I need (want) to do a seat change - on phoning up the Gold Line a recorded message says they are very busy and if unimportant try again later, although it does then go on to the usual phone options after that. So far I've hung up a number of times since I don't want to deprive anyone of sorting out any rebooking. However, it would be nice to be able change my seat... .
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CKBA
Today's dilemma... should I DYKWIA?

I need (want) to do a seat change - on phoning up the Gold Line a recorded message says they are very busy and if unimportant try again later, although it does then go on to the usual phone options after that. So far I've hung up a number of times since I don't want to deprive anyone of sorting out any rebooking. However, it would be nice to be able change my seat... .
Ask on twitter.
T8191 and peter.r.erskine like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by megaloman
Ask on twitter.
Indeed, this was my sole reason for going Twitter. And it has proved rather useful - and efficient.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
"debark"?

Disembark, surely?
Debark is the operation to remove a dogs voice box surely? Just as to disgruntle is the operation to castrate a boar.
T8191 and harmacist like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:35 am

I had a a bit of a DYKWIA moment on the gold line yesterday, ranting about how I could not get through at the weekend when they had spirited away my booking for 9th. BA had sent me an email saying that their gold line was operating at all times, which strictly speaking was correct, though each time I got through and listened to all the blurb, their system cut the call.
The charming lady smoothed over the rough water with 5000 avois. I feel much better now.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:21 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rapidex
Debark is what stops the tree from dying.
debark is what the forum dog does when you say anything other than disembark to remove oneself from a plane or boat.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC
My wife and I were waiting at the gate to board our flight to INV when group 1 was announced. We were in CE so started moving but were pushed past by a middle aged lady. I asked if she was more group 1 than the rest of us which she replied to with 'Oh I didn't mean to barge past you' after barging and remaining in front of us.
She spent the rest of the walk trying to get a look at my wife's boarding card to see if we did belong.
Nowt queer as folk.
so3003, T8191, 1Aturnleft and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.