Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by quakered
Could this vetting be extended to exclude those you use the hideous work "deplane" rather than the more elegant "disembark"?
I once stood on a Sri Lankan train, third class, hanging to the handrail next the exit, for four hours. All I had at eye level was a hand-painting note that invited passengers to 'exercise caution when entraining and detraining". It was a thing of beauty.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, we are wildly off (of ) topic here - perhaps we might return to DYKWIA tales?

/mod
BadgerBoi, PAL62V, THO and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Folks, we are wildly off (of ) topic here - perhaps we might return to DYKWIA tales?

/mod
i know it’s frowned upon to comment on moderator posts but you could have added “don’t you know who I am?” either before or after “mod”
NWIFlyer, so3003, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
For the purpose of helping out my fellow moderator, I shall post this tale even though it is somewhat boring as far as a DYKWIA tale goes.

This morning, a passenger behind me in what appears to have been perceived as the priority queue (which wasn't actually a priority queue because nothing was marked as such at the gate*, but it just happened to be a queue that contained a number of priority boarding passengers by coincidence) complained to me (why me, not sure) that people were barging in and boarding.

In reality, those who were "barging and boarding" were those who were called for pre-boarding, e.g. people requiring assistance, those with infants etc. I had to point that out to this DYKWIA lady... She just went "Oh... I don't mind them, but random people seem to be boarding", which I told her that they seemed to be travel companions of those who were requiring assistance. She was getting quite agitated about the whole thing, which seemed quite odd.

I have no idea what was going through her mind not to have noticed that they weren't 'non-priority boarding people queue barging'!

*QF flight, not BA, although it was one with a BA codeshare flight number!
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 23, 2019 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:37 am

I will also help you out by nominating myself and the man in front of me in the business class check in queue the other day, he was called out for “pushing in” and I followed him (as we transferred our queue from the business class check in desks to the (empty) PE line and thus caused a delay to economy passengers being called by the PE check in desk lady)

(I mean why would you staff the business class check in desk, eh? Ridiculous &#128521

i was going to go and make a snarky comment to the supervisors who were chatting down the other end, but I thought better of it as that would DEFINITELY have been DYKWIA
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
For the purpose of helping out my fellow moderator, I shall post this tale even though it is somewhat boring as far as a DYKWIA tale goes.

This morning, a passenger behind me in what appears to have been perceived as the priority queue (which wasn't actually a priority queue because nothing was marked as such at the gate*, but it just happened to be a queue that contained a number of priority boarding passengers by coincidence) complained to me (why me, not sure) that people were barging in and boarding.

In reality, those who were "barging and boarding" were those who were called for pre-boarding, e.g. people requiring assistance, those with infants etc. I had to point that out to this DYKWIA lady... She just went "Oh... I don't mind them, but random people seem to be boarding", which I told her that they seemed to be travel companions of those who were requiring assistance. She was getting quite agitated about the whole thing, which seemed quite odd.

I have no idea what was going through her mind not to have noticed that they weren't 'non-priority boarding people queue barging'!

*QF flight, not BA, although it was one with a BA codeshare flight number!
QF priority boarding is abysmal, and frankly anyone worth their salt would have known that and therefore made no comment about people pushing in. Was she a tourist?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by DocWatson
perfectly-turned-out French middle aged folk.
See, us French can do stylish *and* comfortable, you Brits on the other hand...

The biggest tantrum I've seen so far on a NCE-LCY was badly-turned-out British OAPs who had a complete hissy fit because following a plane swap from an E170 to E190, their seats (in ET) had been changed - by 1 row - Neither their original nor their new seats were exit rows so

On a LCY-NCE a couple of years ago, some more badly-turned out British OAPs almost came to blows about who should be ahead in the priority queue - it was hilarious. Luckily that rabble were in CE so I didn't have to put up with their shenanigans for long...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We OAPs can be very dangerous when roused!
Scots_Al, wrp96, Tobias-UK and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by T8191
We OAPs can be very dangerous when roused!
Flick of the finger and they would have toppled like dominoes
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
Flick of the finger and they would have toppled like dominoes
oooh, brave call!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
oooh, brave call!
One of them was almost apoplectic when he realised that the Captain was *whispers* female - imagine, a woman, flying a plane
David_Doyle, T8191, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
These other stories remind me of a DYKWIA story from my last flight (sort of I guess).

I was on a BA flight SEA-LHR in WT in something like the 2nd to last row (seat D, the middle aisle seat). That far back on the 747, there wasn't an overhead bin directly above me. So I put my bag in the bin over seats A-C (of which there were only A and C since it narrowed down to 2 seats by that row). It was a small bin as it was the last one. Older couple (at least 65+) boarded a couple minutes after me and threw and absolute FIT that someone had "taken their bin". When I piped up that it was my bag and that there was no overhead for me they just went on about how they had specifically booked seats for just two and their overhead bin. They were trying to flag down a FA to resolve. Honestly, there was plenty of space in the bin in front so I had no idea what the big deal was. I didn't REALLY want to give in because I wasn't in the wrong, but I didn't want to have to deal with their drama anymore so I just gave in and offered to move it to the bin on front.

To be fair, they did get in and out of the bin multiple times during the flight to get stuff.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond
Originally Posted by PAL62V
So I'm not the only one who does this then.
My usual response to those dreadful calls about the accident I’ve had in the past three to five years is that I have indeed had an accident. I play along for as long as possible until asked to describe it. I go on to say how I caught my “thingy” in my zipper and it bled like hell. After a few seconds pause, sometimes a giggle, they hang up. Makes me feel a lot better
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Bin space doesn't belong to one specific seat holder but I suppose in this case imagine if their bags were to the row in front of them and they were up and down many a time so for those passengers you probably done the right thing.

Was there no space in the central bins ahead of you?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond
Goodness knows what happened there.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.