DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Flights to/from NCE are always ripe for this sort of behaviour; today's came from a most surprising of passengers.
NCE is wonderful for all sorts of behaviour, my favourite being BA's group boarding being enforced and just how upset this makes entitled perfectly-turned-out French middle aged folk.

'Madame, maintenant c'est Groupes 1 et 2, vous tes Groupe 4' as the Gate Agent beckons me in my t-shirt and shorts. I've never heard harrumphing like it.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DocWatson
NCE is wonderful for all sorts of behaviour, my favourite being BA's group boarding being enforced and just how upset this makes entitled perfectly-turned-out French middle aged folk.

'Madame, maintenant c'est Groupes 1 et 2, vous tes Groupe 4' as the Gate Agent beckons me in my t-shirt and shorts. I've never heard harrumphing like it.
Be careful you dont give French border security ideas for bringing more Egalit to their post-Brexit plans for NCE!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
TPE - KUL on MH this week. On arrival, while waiting to deplane, some bloke struck up a conversation with the chief steward up front... Gold tag dutifully dangling from his cabin luggage... and declaring that I fly with you a lot (multiple declarations!) and ended with Im almost Concorde level with BA.

Perhaps BA should institute a test (like that of a membership pre interview) to weed out people who dont get the right terminology (theres no such thing as Concorde level!) before dishing out any status!
Could this vetting be extended to exclude those you use the hideous work "deplane" rather than the more elegant "disembark"?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by quakered
Could this vetting be extended to exclude those you use the hideous work "deplane" rather than the more elegant "disembark"?
I shudder when I hear that awful word.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jimmauk
I shudder when I hear that awful word.
Is it even a word, though? - it would imply that you "plane" when you get on board...

I too, cringe when I see that non-word used...!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: too many
But I am on deplane! :-)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Is it even a word, though? - it would imply that you "plane" when you get on board...
"Emplane", surely? Just like "embark" and "debark".

And never mind that the last is what you do to take the outer layer off a tree trunk. (Sorry, I think that last bit should be "take the outer layer off of a tree trunk".)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"debark"?

Disembark, surely?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
"Emplane", surely? Just like "embark" and "debark".

And never mind that the last is what you do to take the outer layer off a tree trunk. (Sorry, I think that last bit should be "take the outer layer off of a tree trunk".)
Debark is what stops the tree from dying.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:33 am

"off of"? On my poor English teacher must be spinning... that was her pet peeve.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
"off of"? On my poor English teacher must be spinning... that was her pet peeve.
Listen to the BBC any day and you will hear it endlessly!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
My favourite is the announcement on AA that we shall be taking off momentarily... I usually turn to the person next to me and say "I hope that they can do better than that!"
RoyalSwazi, T8191, BotB and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA silver,
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I still find less and fewer more annoying!
halfcape, nancypants, HGH and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:16 am

Oh there are many things I find more annoying ("should of" I'm looking at you!) but I just had a flashback to Mrs Searle when I saw that.
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
After reading the last few posts I am going for a lay down.

Forgive me for I have sinned.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.