DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Old May 1, 19, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo View Post
I'm sorry but if cc was involved (and cockpit crew too) I think there is nothing to complain about, the greeter is just doing his job, same as you do.
Not too sure why apologies were needed to be honest.

Bottom line - VIPs usually don't wait at luggage belts, their entourage does so instead.
I once spent a very pleasant 20 minutes chatting to Patrick Lichfield whilst waiting for our respective luggage
flygirl68 and T8191 like this.
Old May 1, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius View Post

I once spent a very pleasant 20 minutes chatting to Patrick Lichfield whilst waiting for our respective luggage
Depends on the definition of VIPs I guess :-)
lhrpete and Dover2Golf like this.
Old May 1, 19, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo View Post
Depends on the definition of VIPs I guess :-)
I think he counted!
leftorupstairs and T8191 like this.
Old May 4, 19, 10:52 pm

Just had a BA silver jump straight to the front of the boarding queue. How do I know he is BA Silver? 2 bag tags on one bag... and card being waved in the air.

This is a Lufthansa flight. Swiftly sent back, economy with no status. How embarrassing.
Dambus, lhrpete, dcmike and 31 others like this.
Old May 5, 19, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Galleries South right now

Not quite a DYKWIA but a 30 something wandering round with headphones on and a mobile phone clamped to ear under the headphone.....wandering round with hands in pocket and TALKING REALLY LOUDLY. So much that you can see folk turning and looking at him cos hes THAT LOUD.

Eventually I give him a good long hard stare that stops him in his tracks - he looks and gives me the thumbs up and takes the hint and sits down.

With headphones on - you have no perception of how loud you are speaking.

Oh and by by the way - I am profoundly deaf and wear powerful hearing aids so that gives you some sense of how LOUD this guy was!
Old May 5, 19, 2:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FEMW View Post
Not quite a DYKWIA but a 30 something wandering round with headphones on and a mobile phone clamped to ear under the headphone.....wandering round with hands in pocket and TALKING REALLY LOUDLY. So much that you can see folk turning and looking at him cos hes THAT LOUD.

Eventually I give him a good long hard stare that stops him in his tracks - he looks and gives me the thumbs up and takes the hint and sits down.

Oh and by by the way - I am profoundly deaf and wear powerful hearing aids so that gives you some sense of how LOUD this guy was!
Just drop the 'WIA' and let autocorrect do the rest.
The_Bouncer and BAEC like this.
Old May 5, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner View Post
Just had a BA silver jump straight to the front of the boarding queue. How do I know he is BA Silver? 2 bag tags on one bag... and card being waved in the air.

This is a Lufthansa flight. Swiftly sent back, economy with no status. How embarrassing.
this is funny 🤣
Old May 5, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by FEMW View Post

There was one of those in the AENA lounge at ALC yesterday evening. Linen shirt, shorts, shades tucked in the shirt button, LV holdall, Yorkshire accent...

Conversation with the unfortunate on the other end started off with bragging about a deal with Ian Botham. Ian Botham. BEEFY!! Progressed to bragging of negotiating his next project and commanding a 'big lump of cash instead of a salary' and getting out to Monaco by PJ.

After the lounge attendant asked him to keep his volume down he made a few snide comments to his telephone audience about being told off and waltzed off to the toilets still in conversation. Came out a couple of minutes later still loudly talking but now with the shades on and left. Watched him out of the window board his Jet2 flight to LBA.... So much for PJ's to Monaco!
Old May 6, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
A DYKWIA moment witnessed yesterday before the short flight from Lyon to LHR.

The BA signs were up to direct the queues for CE & Priority / ET / Bag drop. After a while the queues had really started to build in all lines, before an agent wandered up and decided to move all of the markers for the queues. This simple act completely buggered the existing queues and meant those at the front (us!) were forced to join the back of a new line.

A panicking American woman mid-way in the original queue shouted, "I'm priority!", before attempting to limbo under the adjustable belt marking the boundaries of the queue. Unfortunately, she wasn't nimble enough to complete this feat and planted her face straight into the belt. She abandoned the limbo idea and instead crawled under on her hands and knees and pushed in front of about 10-12 of us at the back of the queue. She slowly clambered back to her feet and stood there shaking her head repeatedly, breathing heavily.

In all honesty, this was less of a DYKWIA moment than a (probably) inexperienced traveller having her temperature raised by the incompetence of the desk agent. But the immortal words, "I'm priority!" convinced me to share the tale.

Witnessing the farcical operation at Lyon, we belatedly decided to ditch the ill-conceived checked bag idea and take it all on board instead.
wrp96 and AAtticus like this.
Old May 6, 19, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by bigwalrus View Post
snip
The BA signs were up to direct the queues for CE & Priority / ET / Bag drop. After a while the queues had really started to build in all lines, before an agent wandered up and decided to move all of the markers for the queues. This simple act completely buggered the existing queues...
snip
Don't you think he did it just to watch the ensuing chaos for a bit of mid-shift entertainment?
bisonrav and Cotumely like this.
Old May 6, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Don't you think he did it just to watch the ensuing chaos for a bit of mid-shift entertainment?
Potentially! She did rather forcefully advise the CE / priority queue that they / we were all standing in the wrong place - even though it was clearly the right place 30 seconds earlier!

​​​​

​​​​​​
MADPhil likes this.
Old May 9, 19, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The Arrivals Lounge was a bit late opening a couple of days ago. This shouldn't have happened, and it was a bit frustrating.

But it did prompt a fairly full bingo card of DYKWIA behaviour from some of the queue: One person decided to photograph or video the catering staff, the departures screen by the baggage desk (presumably for the time stamp), and the sign outside the door stating the opening time - presumably with the intention of creating a forensically continuous evidence trail. Some banging on the glass doors - although presumably frequent flyers would know that it's not the catering staff's responsibility to decide on admission to the lounge. And a reasonably bag of words: in particular, "shambles" and "ridiculous" got deployed early on, and then I stopped listening.

It was only 20 minutes, at 5.00 am. With different winds, the flight could easily have taken 20 minutes more than it did, and nobody would have got that time back either.
nancypants and wanderingjock like this.
Old May 9, 19, 5:11 pm

BA823 DUB-LHR few days ago. Taxi after landing came to abrupt stop, after couple of minutes pilot announced that ATC has allocated a wrong stand (hope it is right term) which is behind us and they're trying to figure out the best way to get there. Not much of a delay in the end.
While deplaning I saw very agitated gentleman having a go at young female FA. Didn't hear the whole exchange, but as I walked past he was ranting "blaming ATC for your incompetence is unacceptable! This is shambles! I will not leave it like that!" But as I didn't hear him mention his status/importance/how often he flies then not sure if it's proper DYKWIA.
Probably not even worth mentioning a lovely lady who, while boarding in DUB, put her roller in front of me and said "I need you to put it up there!" while pointing at the locker.
Cotumely likes this.
Old May 9, 19, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
And a reasonably bag of words: in particular, "shambles" and "ridiculous" got deployed early on,
I hope there was some tutting for good measure too.
wrp96, alex67500 and Newbtravelle like this.
Old May 10, 19, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by flyslow View Post
Probably not even worth mentioning a lovely lady who, while boarding in DUB, put her roller in front of me and said "I need you to put it up there!" while pointing at the locker.
Last time that happened to me, I put my back out for the rest of the trip! My response now would be 'I am sorry that I cannot do that for you but it will put my back out - perhaps you should only pack as much as you can lift yourself' . Then I will have to prepare my self for the 'glare' in response!
flygirl68, orbitmic, T8191 and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread