DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Old Mar 10, 19, 8:57 am
  #151  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,235
Originally Posted by Barnaby100 View Post
Seven- no idea and even seeing a photo didn't help.
Eight.

I barely recognise any 'celebs' at all. I've only managed to recognise Sir Bob Geldof, Sir Norman Lamont and a few ballet dancer so far.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:12 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Posts: 4,992
Make it nine of many thousands of FTers ... and this will become a long thread unless we get back to real DYKWIA moments!
Scots_Al, onobond and wrp96 like this.
antichef is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:25 am
  #153  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,490
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Eight.

I barely recognise any 'celebs' at all. I've only managed to recognise Sir Bob Geldof, Sir Norman Lamont and a few ballet dancer so far.


A clue to a former career, having met you a couple of times?
wrp96 and Tobias-UK like this.
T8191 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 2:43 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
A clue to a former career, having met you a couple of times?
Nah, just easy to recognise due to the way they dress... 😋
T8191, wrp96, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Knodde is online now  
Old Mar 10, 19, 3:13 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 521
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Eight.

I barely recognise any 'celebs' at all. I've only managed to recognise Sir Bob Geldof, Sir Norman Lamont and a few ballet dancer so far.
On a recent flight in CW to KIN, I was in 1F, Usain Bolt was in 2G (ie right in front of me), he was however swathed in a hoodie, a scarf and sunglasses and promptly reclined his seat and went to sleep; I had no idea who he was (I vaguely guessed he might be some form of musician)...
firstlight is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 3:51 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 46
Had some worries about looking like a DUKWIA tonight while trying to find the group 1 - the 4/5 group was spread out and did ask as worked forward to find that the group 1 has just one other person in it.

I think rest of CE came down from lounge slightly later, or got held up at passport control, which seemed slow, i.e. just one person and no auto gates working. This was delayed BA419 LUX to LHR

Did have trouble finding lounge, as some signs in airport send you to a closed escalator and lift, not until I'd studied a better map did I find it was down an unmarked corridor by security.
FlyingGarden is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 4:47 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: West Sussex
Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by Agneisse View Post
The interview officers have questionable knowledge of non-citizen/LPR entry requirements. I was also told erroneous information by mine, which took quite some effort to correct.
travelling through US preclearance in Dublin the other day, I have a CBP officer stamp my passport.

This is despite having GE. When asked he replied “because you not a US citizen”

I informed him that in the last 6 years since getting GE this was the first stamp I got. His face was priceless, as he was convinced he was right.

Last edited by BillyBleach; Mar 10, 19 at 5:03 pm
BillyBleach is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 5:19 pm
  #158  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,235
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
[/B]
A clue to a former career, having met you a couple of times?
Oh no. I am just a keen (non-DYKWIA!) member of the audience.

Speaking of celebrity unawareness, I was once on a BA flight to OTP where someone was getting inordinate amount of attention from crew and passengers. Curious, I asked who he was (I had no idea). The crew member (who was a bit of a well-known character himself) told me it was Ilie Nastase. Now you might think, being a bad boy of tennis (I knew his name, I didn't know his face), he might be DYKWIA. He wasn't. He kindly even picked up my bag for me off the carousel when he saw it was rather large when I was about to pick it up .

Ah, and Sir Bob Geldof was rather non-DYKWIA. He was waiting at the carousel with everyone else. He didn't even have the sunglasses on for some time, and was very chatty to whoever he seemed to be travelling with.

My apologies for turning the thread into an almost counter-DYKWIA and IDKWYA (I Don't Know Who You Are).
dcmike and T8191 like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 10, 19 at 5:25 pm
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:20 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold
Posts: 579
Originally Posted by BillyBleach View Post

travelling through US preclearance in Dublin the other day, I have a CBP officer stamp my passport.

This is despite having GE. When asked he replied “because you not a US citizen”

I informed him that in the last 6 years since getting GE this was the first stamp I got. His face was priceless, as he was convinced he was right.
It must have been the same officer who insisted I present my GE card if I indeed have GE. He did not accept that these are not issued to non-US residents and there was no much point in arguing with “I work here so I know” argument...
wmaciej is offline  
Old Mar 11, 19, 1:18 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Brexile in ADB
Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Posts: 5,909
Originally Posted by wmaciej View Post

It must have been the same officer who insisted I present my GE card if I indeed have GE. He did not accept that these are not issued to non-US residents and there was no much point in arguing with “I work here so I know” argument...
Triple negative?
Worcester is offline  
Old Mar 11, 19, 1:37 am
  #161  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,575
Originally Posted by SaturdayKid View Post
Not a BA instance but as we seem to all enjoy general DWKWIA and I have not seen this posted previously I thought the group might enjoy. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-...attle-hansson/ Mods please delete if it has been posted before
That story is curated from what was undoubtedly a different interaction. In other words, invented.
krispy84 likes this.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Mar 11, 19, 1:45 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by FlyingGarden View Post
Had some worries about looking like a DUKWIA tonight while trying to find the group 1 - the 4/5 group was spread out and did ask as worked forward to find that the group 1 has just one other person in it.

I think rest of CE came down from lounge slightly later, or got held up at passport control, which seemed slow, i.e. just one person and no auto gates working. This was delayed BA419 LUX to LHR

Did have trouble finding lounge, as some signs in airport send you to a closed escalator and lift, not until I'd studied a better map did I find it was down an unmarked corridor by security.
I was on this flight!
braiden9 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 19, 1:47 am
  #163  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,575
Originally Posted by firstlight View Post
On a recent flight in CW to KIN, I was in 1F, Usain Bolt was in 2G (ie right in front of me), he was however swathed in a hoodie, a scarf and sunglasses and promptly reclined his seat and went to sleep; I had no idea who he was (I vaguely guessed he might be some form of musician)...
Odd seat configuration!
LondonElite is online now  
Old Mar 11, 19, 10:32 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 685
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
A genuine IKWYA (I know who you are) (perhaps belongs in celeb) anyway flying SIN back to LHr on the BA12, Prof Brian Cox and party of three attempted to jump the queue at the security check to the gate area (A380, long premium queue of F, CW and BAEC/OW status pax). The Singapore agent had none of it and sent them to the back of the queue saying ‘there all premium passengers, the back of the queue is that way.

He was prob in CW as wasn’t in the F cabin.
Originally Posted by DeathSlam View Post
For some reason I am more forgiving of 'our Brian' trying it on.
I met ‘our Brian’ at the buffet in the exec lounge of a hotel in Sydney a few years ago. I told him knew his face but I just couldn’t place him. He said “I’m Brian” (obviously a You Should Know Who I Am). I still couldn’t place him - he could have been one of our postmen for all I knew - so I asked what he was doing in Sydney. He said he was giving a lecture in the State Theatre around the corner. I still had to Google him, then for a while afterwards he seemed to be on TV every time I turned it on, just like Dr Michael Mosley.


WickedStepMother is online now  
Old Mar 11, 19, 4:23 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: BA (silver)
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post


That story is curated from what was undoubtedly a different interaction. In other words, invented.
How do you know? It’s an except from her book.
groovy_dhruvy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread