Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by fotographer
Hi guys,
just wondering if I and my wife are due anything.
BA LHR to Philly, delayed due to mechanical, around 3+ hours, sitting on the plane...
while on the plane, a medical issue with one of the passengers.. not sure what happen

Arrived Philly too late to make connection to ATL,
spent the night at hotel (BA provided)

Booked on AA the following day..
so arrived at our final destination about 26 hours later

thanks in advance
It is delay on arrival that matters (difference between actual and scheduled) not departure

BA will try and allocate the total delay to (a) the mechanical issue and (b) the medical issue. You would need the delay caused bu the tech issue to be over the EU 261 limit as the medical delay would be excluded from the delay time.

If you give the date of the flight and it's in the last week or so the actual times will be on sites like flight radar.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Downgrade and delay in replying
What is supposed to happen if it takes them more than 7 days, or if it takes them more than 7 days to reply to my complaint?
I suppose I should be entitled to additional compensation but if so, how much?

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased,
it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse...
lol no additional compensation

TBH nothing happens to BA. You could complain to the CAA who would do absolutely zilch despite being the regulator responsible for enforcing E U261.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It is delay on arrival that matters (difference between actual and scheduled) not departure

BA will try and allocate the total delay to (a) the mechanical issue and (b) the medical issue. You would need the delay caused bu the tech issue to be over the EU 261 limit as the medical delay would be excluded from the delay time.

If you give the date of the flight and it's in the last week or so the actual times will be on sites like flight radar.
Thank you for the reply
will check
Old May 16, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Could someone let me know if my thinking is correct that I could be due either 300 Euro or 600 Euro due to the delay I’m experiencing today.

Ticketed with BA but on AA metal all the way. DUB - CLT - DFW - ICT

My flight leaving the EU (DUB to CLT) was on time but my flight from CLT to DFW was delayed 2 and a half hours which meant I missed the DFW to ICT leg. The CLT DFW delay started small, then got bigger. As soon as the estimated arrival time was after the scheduled departure of my DFW to ICT leg I spoke with the lounge agent who re ticketed me on the later flight.

The original flight to ICT was scheduled to arrive at 1959. The new flight (currently at DFW for it) is scheduled to arrive at 2347.

I think I’m entitled to EU261 as this is a through ticket from Ireland and I’m on a EU ticket (BA 125) although travelling from the EU I’m not sure that’s even relevant.

On a side note, even if the trip is eligible, I’ve no idea for the delay other than being told it’s due to a late inbound aircraft. How to I check the reason?
Old May 16, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by kingcole974
On a side note, even if the trip is eligible, I’ve no idea for the delay other than being told it’s due to a late inbound aircraft. How to I check the reason?
It's eligible in that you departed from the EU, but the (root) cause of the delays that affected you might be a factor. Also, requesting a reroute can complicate matters. That said, if you're delayed at your final destination, which it sounds like you will be, I would claim EC261 compensation and see what AA say, then decide based on their response how to proceed.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by armouredant
It's eligible in that you departed from the EU, but the (root) cause of the delays that affected you might be a factor. Also, requesting a reroute can complicate matters. That said, if you're delayed at your final destination, which it sounds like you will be, I would claim EC261 compensation and see what AA say, then decide based on their response how to proceed.
Thanks. Your response suggests I claim off AA. Would it not be BA as my tickets are BA (125’s) ?

The delayed flight was AA665 on 16/5 if anyone knows how to look up a reason for a delay.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks. Your response suggests I claim off AA. Would it not be BA as my tickets are BA (125’s) ?

The delayed flight was AA665 on 16/5 if anyone knows how to look up a reason for a delay.
You always claim from the operating carrier not the ticketing one.
armouredant likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BA GGL

thanks. Your response suggests i claim off aa. Would it not be ba as my tickets are ba (125’s) ?

The delayed flight was aa665 on 16/5 if anyone knows how to look up a reason for a delay.
Code:
clt 301p c19
dfw c26 c c29 453p 603p c c6
clt b b14 936p
7clt/auto reaccom dly flt completed see n*p3aa0665clt16may *1342*crcymg
3clt/etd1729 lat-late arrv a/c due to prior air traffic delays *1603
4clt/out1737 off1746 *1646
5dfw/flt 0665 stub orig pln dep dfw etd 1803 -- dfw .rmks ftwdp dunning *1403
3dfw/etd1815 mtr-delay due to a/c maintenance *1809
4dfw/out1811 off1827 *1827
2dfw/in1912 *1912
2clt*/in2135 *2035
Old May 17, 2019, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Downgrade and delay in replying
What is supposed to happen if it takes them more than 7 days, or if it takes them more than 7 days to reply to my complaint?
I suppose I should be entitled to additional compensation but if so, how much?

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased,
it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse...
I think that you should look at national law for that, not EU law. What happens if you don't pay your bills on time, like paying your electricity bill a month late? Usually you'd have to pay late payment fees and interest, and I'd imagine that an airline which doesn't reimburse the customer within seven days gets dinged with the same fees and interest.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm after some advice on how best to proceed with a claim I'm making. Details as follows:

Date: 5th May 2019
Flight: BA208 (MIA to LHR)
Scheduled departure time: 20.40
Scheduled arrival time: 10.25 (6th May 2019)
Actual departure time: 01.24 (6th May 2019)
Actual arrival time information:
Wheels touched down: 14.15 (6th May 2019)
On the stand: 14.22 (6th May 2019)
Jet bridge attached: 14.26 (6th May 2019)

Actual delay on arrival time: 4 hours, 1 minute.

I know this is the time the jet bridge was attached as I was watching it from the upper deck while checking my iPhone which has it's time automatically synchronised.

As I disembarked from the plane, I spoke to the CSM asking for confirmation from him what time the jet bridge was attached, and he claimed "by my watch it was 5 minutes ago" approximately 2 minutes after disembarking began. It seems clear as day that BA have done this on purpose to avoid paying the full €600 pp compensation.

I've followed standard protocol and raised a case with customer relations and was pleasantly surprised with the initial response as BA didn't try and claim the delay was out of their control. They have however as expected, disappointingly tried to claim the delay was under 4 hours. They have said they will pay the reduced compensation amount of €300 pp (as per eu261 guidelines).

I've gone back to them to re-iterate that as the jet bridge wasn't attached and the door wasn't opened in time, the full compensation is payable but am sure they will just deny it.

Firstly, please can someone confirm my understanding of the delay regulation/compensation amount is correct, and should be €600 pp in this case?
And secondly, any advice on how best to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

BizBoy

Last edited by bizboy; May 17, 2019 at 4:26 am Reason: Corrected times
Old May 17, 2019, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bizboy
I'm after some advice on how best to proceed with a claim I'm making. Details as follows:

Date: 5th May 2019
Flight: BA208 (MIA to LHR)
Scheduled departure time: 20.40
Scheduled arrival time: 10.25 (6th May 2019)
Actual departure time: 01.24 (6th May 2019)
Actual arrival time information:
Wheels touched down: 16.15 (6th May 2019)
On the stand: 16.22 (6th May 2019)
Jet bridge attached: 16.26 (6th May 2019)

Actual delay on arrival time: 4 hours, 1 minute.

I know this is the time the jet bridge was attached as I was watching it from the upper deck while checking my iPhone which has it's time automatically synchronised.

As I disembarked from the plane, I spoke to the CSM asking for confirmation from him what time the jet bridge was attached, and he claimed "by my watch it was 5 minutes ago" approximately 2 minutes after disembarking began. It seems clear as day that BA have done this on purpose to avoid paying the full €600 pp compensation.

I've followed standard protocol and raised a case with customer relations and was pleasantly surprised with the initial response as BA didn't try and claim the delay was out of their control. They have however as expected, disappointingly tried to claim the delay was under 4 hours. They have said they will pay the reduced compensation amount of €300 pp (as per eu261 guidelines).

I've gone back to them to re-iterate that as the jet bridge wasn't attached and the door wasn't opened in time, the full compensation is payable but am sure they will just deny it.

Firstly, please can someone confirm my understanding of the delay regulation/compensation amount is correct, and should be €600 pp in this case?
And secondly, any advice on how best to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

BizBoy
Welcome to FT!

I just want to check you mention Scheduled arrival time: 10.25 (6th May 2019) and Wheels touched down: 16.15 (6th May 2019). Isn't that already over 4 hours late regardless of how quickly you got on to the stand and the doors were open?
Old May 17, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT!

I just want to check you mention Scheduled arrival time: 10.25 (6th May 2019) and Wheels touched down: 16.15 (6th May 2019). Isn't that already over 4 hours late regardless of how quickly you got on to the stand and the doors were open?
Thanks KARFA,

Apologies - I had scribbled times down and on typing up in 24 hour format, made mistakes. I've editted my post above to correct the mistakes.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. Email sent to AA
Old May 20, 2019, 3:57 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I'd be grateful for advice/pointers on the following.

Earlier this month, BA took us from FRA to JFK without any problems. However, the first flight of our return journey from IAH was cancelled after the incoming plane was damaged. BA's IAH team was very good about letting us know what was happening and also quickly arranged a hotel and bus. ^ (They must have been having a challenging day, as BA's earlier LHR-IAH-LHR rotation had also been cancelled).

As of the following morning, BA had not offered us new flights. That's not surprising, as it was a very heavy travel day on all carriers. So we made our own alternative arrangements (UA miles: IAH-ORD-FRA).

My understanding is that a plane being damaged by airport is not an extraordinary circumstance, so EC261/2004 should apply. I'm guessing that we should ask for this and a partial refund for the cancelled segments in the same message, correct?

Can anyone point me to guidance on calculating the refund due? Our receipt only shows the total price for the return journey. Thanks.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:16 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by IMH
I'd be grateful for advice/pointers on the following.

Earlier this month, BA took us from FRA to JFK without any problems. However, the first flight of our return journey from IAH was cancelled after the incoming plane was damaged. BA's IAH team was very good about letting us know what was happening and also quickly arranged a hotel and bus. ^ (They must have been having a challenging day, as BA's earlier LHR-IAH-LHR rotation had also been cancelled).

As of the following morning, BA had not offered us new flights. That's not surprising, as it was a very heavy travel day on all carriers. So we made our own alternative arrangements (UA miles: IAH-ORD-FRA).

My understanding is that a plane being damaged by airport is not an extraordinary circumstance, so EC261/2004 should apply. I'm guessing that we should ask for this and a partial refund for the cancelled segments in the same message, correct?

Can anyone point me to guidance on calculating the refund due? Our receipt only shows the total price for the return journey. Thanks.
For a return ticket, just half it and let BA argue it - there really can’t be much in it. There’s no question, given the length of the delay, that you’ll be entitled to a refund under article 8.

However, in terms of compensation under article 7, this does become more difficult if you don’t actually take the delayed flight (and you need to determine if this was really a cancellation, and not just a delay). You’re probably then into arguing that the delay was long enough to count as a cancellation and that BA didn’t take all reasonable measures to get you home - leaving you no option but to make your own arrangements. You’d have to give more, pretty precise, details before anyone could even give an opinion on that. Even then, you would certainly have to go to court and I’d expect BA to defend it rather than settle - so be prepared to have to spend half a day or more in court, and that you might well lose.

If you have evidence from BA that they did actually cancel the flight then article 7 sounds like it’s in scope and you’ll have no issue with the 600 Euros.
IMH likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 20, 2019 at 4:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.