Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
You completely have a case. If you look at Uber prices EDI-ABZ they are quoting 163 to 218 for UberX and 250-333 for an XL
Add to this the fact that:
- Uber does not operate out of ABZ area, the local taxis are likely to be in the same or higher price range
- the last minute nature of your need and the off-peak hour of your call
then the price you paid seems fine.

BA does not normally pay for taxis over Ł50 where there was a public transport available, I suspect here they failed to look at the specifics of your case.

How much are they offering?

For now, I would go back to them using their webform, showing a couple of fares comparisons, and reminding them the only reason you took this is because the exact same taxi they had offered to you failed to materialise, and there was no public transport option. Keep it brief and to the point, there is never a need for recorded delivery or letters with them, and no need for MCOL yet in my view.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by april2018
If I am right in thinking I have a case, where do I go from here?
Should I send a recorded letter to the UK customer services, small claims or try this CEDR thing I read about?
Any other advice?
My advice would be to construct the very shortest possible reply to Customer Relations pointing out the requirement of EC261/2004 Article 8.3 (don't spell it out for them) and asking whether this is their final position? If so can they confirm that in order for you to take the matter to CEDR. Then follow the process but again stick to a very short submission based on 8.3 - no need to go into what was promised / didn't happen / should have happened. It's strict liability here.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
You completely have a case. If you look at Uber prices EDI-ABZ they are quoting 163 to 218 for UberX and 250-333 for an XL
Add to this the fact that:
- Uber does not operate out of ABZ area, the local taxis are likely to be in the same or higher price range
- the last minute nature of your need and the off-peak hour of your call
then the price you paid seems fine.

BA does not normally pay for taxis over Ł50 where there was a public transport available, I suspect here they failed to look at the specifics of your case.

How much are they offering?

For now, I would go back to them using their webform, showing a couple of fares comparisons, and reminding them the only reason you took this is because the exact same taxi they had offered to you failed to materialise, and there was no public transport option. Keep it brief and to the point, there is never a need for recorded delivery or letters with them, and no need for MCOL yet in my view.
Thank you, it's Ł50 they are offering
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My advice would be to construct the very shortest possible reply to Customer Relations pointing out the requirement of EC261/2004 Article 8.3 (don't spell it out for them) and asking whether this is their final position? If so can they confirm that in order for you to take the matter to CEDR. Then follow the process but again stick to a very short submission based on 8.3 - no need to go into what was promised / didn't happen / should have happened. It's strict liability here.
Thank you.
I will get back to them with that response and go to CEDR if needed.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
A bit of advice please.
  • Booked on the BA2709 BCN to LGW in CE on 22 March 2019 departing at 2020. Checked MMB and found the flight has been cancelled. This is the return leg of a booking under the IB codeshare on 075 IB ticket stock. I stupidly made the booking through ebookers.com as the IB site kept coming up with payment card errors.
  • Called ebookers and getting frustrated with the Indian call centre who keep putting me on hold and then promising a call back which never happens.
  • Emailed ebookers and requested an alternative BA flight to LHR the following day, as I can't leave BCN any earlier the same day and there are no later LHR flights. BA2709 to LGW is also cancelled on 23 March.
  • Ebookers now say they are "reaching out to the airline" and will contact me when they have an update. They say they are unable to reroute me until the airline offers them alternative flights.
It is more than 14 days in advance and understand I'm not entitled to compensation. As I can't leave BCN earlier the same day and will need to fly a day later, I have requested hotel accommodation. Am I entitled to this under EC261 and should this be arranged by BA or ebookers? Or do I need to arrange myself and submit a claim after?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by speedbird85
  • Ebookers now say they are "reaching out to the airline" and will contact me when they have an update. They say they are unable to reroute me until the airline offers them alternative flights.
It is more than 14 days in advance and understand I'm not entitled to compensation. As I can't leave BCN earlier the same day and will need to fly a day later, I have requested hotel accommodation. Am I entitled to this under EC261 and should this be arranged by BA or ebookers? Or do I need to arrange myself and submit a claim after?
The "reaching out" is a load of rubbish: once a flight is cancelled ebookers should have no problems rebooking you on to alternative services. Admittedly the IB ticket won't help one little bit, and this is a very good example why using OTA really ought to be avoided. They should offer you the 19:00 hrs departure to LHR - currently wide open - or indeed any of the 20 odd options for the next day.

The hotel issue is a grey area and there are 2 arguments. Clearly if you turned up at the airport without a resolved reservation, then the airline is on the hook for Right of Care accommodation. But if you negotiate a different arrangement with ebookers / Iberia which takes you to another day, it can be argued that you agreed to this changed reservation, worts and all. Under 2 weeks before travel would be different, as you indicate. The safest thing would be to take the LHR service, which only leaves an hour earlier than your booking, or look to your travel insurance.

The other alternative, seeing that it is a cancelled flight, is to ask for a full refund from ebookers, and use the money to travel on (e.g.) the easyJet services at 19:40 to LGW (Ł50); or to LTN at 20:50 (Ł42). or to SEN at 21:35 (Ł36).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The "reaching out" is a load of rubbish
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
The "reaching out" is a load of rubbish: once a flight is cancelled ebookers should have no problems rebooking you on to alternative services. Admittedly the IB ticket won't help one little bit, and this is a very good example why using OTA really ought to be avoided. They should offer you the 19:00 hrs departure to LHR - currently wide open - or indeed any of the 20 odd options for the next day.

The hotel issue is a grey area and there are 2 arguments. Clearly if you turned up at the airport without a resolved reservation, then the airline is on the hook for Right of Care accommodation. But if you negotiate a different arrangement with ebookers / Iberia which takes you to another day, it can be argued that you agreed to this changed reservation, worts and all. Under 2 weeks before travel would be different, as you indicate. The safest thing would be to take the LHR service, which only leaves an hour earlier than your booking, or look to your travel insurance.

The other alternative, seeing that it is a cancelled flight, is to ask for a full refund from ebookers, and use the money to travel on (e.g.) the easyJet services at 19:40 to LGW (Ł50); or to LTN at 20:50 (Ł42). or to SEN at 21:35 (Ł36).
Thanks CWS. I normally never use OTAs for flights and book direct with the airline. The IB site kept saying my card type didn't match when using visa or mastercard so I went with ebookers as the only site offering the same price. Clearly a mistake I won't make again!
I also thought the "reaching out" bit is rubbish and have said as much to them when I requested an alternative BA LHR service the next day. Ideally I'd take the 1900 LHR service the same day, but my plans were already tight with the 2020 flight and doubt I would make it.
I'll push for the accommodation under Right of Care and see what happens.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver

I can't recall an exact parallel here but this seems an inherent technical failure activity rather than exceptional circumstances, unless someone has been scattering tacks on the LAX runway. It doesn't seem much different to (e.g.) a cargo door not shutting properly. But I don't say that with a lot of confidence, it was pretty unlucky however you look at it.
BA response was a rejection of the claim saying
Your claim’s been refused because BA0268 on 11th February was delayed because of aircraft damage which wasn’t caused by us which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

Your flight was delayed as 4 tyres on the aircraft required changing following low pressure warning on taxi-out, this was caused by unknown foreign objects on the taxi-way. This caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight and we always consider if there are any operational options available before we make a decision. We’re very sorry the delay was necessary in this case.
I find this interesting because I've not heard of the 'aircraft damage that wasn't caused by us' excuse before. It sounds very convincing and it is very categorically stated. But I somehow doubt it is that straightforward - someone here probably has a better idea than me.

The question is should I reply and push back - and if so on what basis? - or should I just accept this answer?

They did pay for my hotel overnight though.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I find this interesting because I've not heard of the 'aircraft damage that wasn't caused by us' excuse before. It sounds very convincing and it is very categorically stated....
The question is should I reply and push back - and if so on what basis? - or should I just accept this answer?....
It’s just a way of saying ‘get lost, we really don’t want to pay you anything’ and they need to sound convincing. I think they would defend the case if you decided routes such as CEDR or MCOL.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Feb 18, 2019 at 11:46 am
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:18 am
Original Poster

I find this interesting because I've not heard of the 'aircraft damage that wasn't caused by us' excuse before. It sounds very convincing and it is very categorically stated. But I somehow doubt it is that straightforward - someone here probably has a better idea than me.
This is the scattering tacks on the runway position I suggested above. This excuse I have seen before, and usually my follow up to that would be "whodunnit?" since if it was done by an agent, contractor, supplier for BA then BA is still liable. In this case BA probably have a stronger argument, not least all the building work around LAX at the moment could mean any amount of FOD could end up there. Moreover whereas at European airports you can see when you take off or land that there are cars around checking the runways, it doesn't seem to be done with the same intensity in places like LAX, as an anecdotal observation.

You're not going to get BA to change this position. You could try CEDR or MCOL but since BA's explanation seems to tie in with what you observed on the day I don't think this is a strong case.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:39 am

The question is should I reply and push back - and if so on what basis? - or should I just accept this answer?

BA used this excuse against my claim back in October as the cargo door was damaged. They said ‘Not my fault guvnor’ as usual, thankfully CEDR disagrees and they paid out
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:15 am

BA have cancelled my flight next month. They’ve put me on an earlier service. They’ve not notified me of the cancellation. I have, however, received an email from BA notifying me of a seat change. It was only when I checked MMB that I saw the flight has changed. In fact, the original flight is still showing in my App - even after refreshing the page. It’s only when I clock through do I see the new flight details.

Do BA have to notify me of the change? What are the consequences to BA, under the Regulation, if they don’t notify me?

Palmer
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:39 am

Remember under EC261 the burden of proof is with the airline. So you could take it to CEDR and challenge them to come up with the evidence to support what they are saying.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Hi,

I wanted to confirm my understanding for a claim I'm currently making. My flight from London City was cancelled with 9 hours' notice, and I was re-routed on a flight from Heathrow.

The new flight was scheduled to arrive 1hr45 after the original flight. The new flight actually arrived 22 mins late, and so 2 hrs 7 minutes late in total vs the my original booking.

BA are saying this is EUR125 compensation at the reduced rate. My view is it should be EUR 250 as greater than two hour delay. The specific rationale given for using the reduced rate is that the regulation stipulates using the scheduled arrival time of the new flight, not the actual arrival time.

Grateful for any thoughts regarding the correct approach.

It occurs to me their next step might be to argue about the cause of the 22 minute delay to the new flight. Would that have have any mileage for them?

On a positive note, I asked at the time of rebooking if they would cover taxi to Heathrow and they said no problem just send in a receipt.

Many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.