Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: NA
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
"Wind speed out of our control"

If there had been a hurricane, then maybe...

Definitely go to CEDR with this one...

I wonder is there an easy way to see how BA logged the flight status: it was flight BA8491 LCY TXL on 19DEC2018 - what are the best tools to check?

EDIT: checked EUClaim and they siad no claim was possible.

These are the figs direct from BA:

Flight BA8491 from LCY to TXL.
Scheduled departure date and time: 19 December 2018 08:20 GMT
Actual departure date and time: 19 December 2018 11:18 GMT
Scheduled arrival date and time: 19 December 2018 10:00 GMT
Actual arrival date and time: 19 December 2018 13:00 GMT
Total delay: 180 minutes

and text 'can confirm your flight, BA8491, at 08:20(GMT) was delayed for 178 minutes before take off.' 'your claim for compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 has been refused.'

Bottononline suggests it might be possible, but want me to commit.

Is the delay calculated on arrival time, or flight departure delay?

Any other tools to check?

Last edited by luvadealme; Oct 23, 2019 at 2:53 am Reason: more info found
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by luvadealme
Dear all, I just received my BA response. My flight arrived exactly 3 hours after original intended time, as confirmed by them (180 mins Total Delay). However they claim 178 minutes is technical fault while 2 mins is due to 'lost time in the air' to quote their response 'Weather factors such as wind speed are outside of our control and therefore we are not liable to pay EU compensation in this case.'

<snip>..

Should I push back here?
Yes I would push back as others have already stated.

Under EU261 it is the time the doors are opened and passengers allowed to disembark that stops the clock not when a flight lands or arrives at the gate.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

It is the difference between scheduled and actual arrival times (plus see my immediate last post about doors opening and disembarking being the time under EU261 that counts as the arrival time)
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I wonder is there an easy way to see how BA logged the flight status: it was flight BA8491 LCY TXL on 19DEC2018 - what are the best tools to check?

EDIT: checked EUClaim and they siad no claim was possible.

These are the figs direct from BA:

Flight BA8491 from LCY to TXL.
Scheduled departure date and time: 19 December 2018 08:20 GMT
Actual departure date and time: 19 December 2018 11:18 GMT
Scheduled arrival date and time: 19 December 2018 10:00 GMT
Actual arrival date and time: 19 December 2018 13:00 GMT
Total delay: 180 minutes

and text 'can confirm your flight, BA8491, at 08:20(GMT) was delayed for 178 minutes before take off.' 'your claim for compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 has been refused.'

Bottononline suggests it might be possible, but want me to commit.

2 mins longer than scheduled gate to gate time would still need to meet definition of exceptional circumstances. They haven’t explained why 2 mins was exceptional so I’d hit them with this first and ask them on what basis this part of the delay is exceptional.

(if there were ATC or other issues that would be enough, so they may have a possible get-out)
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
From August's MAD A350 cancellation

BA465 - CEDR applied on 01/10/2019

I'm sorry yours and **** flight from Madrid was cancelled on 10 August 2019. I can appreciate how inconvenient this must have been for you both. Without admission of liability, we will give you compensation regarding the cancellation of BA465 of €250.00. Upon agreement of our offer we can arrange a bank transfer for Ł430.60 if you can provide us with your bank name, account number and sort code. We look forward to hearing from you, kind regards, British Airways
Swift turnaround and not a bad outcome

Last edited by mikeyfly; Oct 29, 2019 at 3:29 pm
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:00 am
Suspended

Luvadealme

Added: There could be two reasons for the claim of 'extraordinary circumstances', headwinds (which is simply not going to work) and ATC delay, which I'm dealing with by quoting recital 15 of EC261, below. I know that BA try it on by attempting to apportion short delays to ATC, but the recital is clear.

Have a look at recital 15 of EC261, which says "Extraordinary circumstances should be deemed to exist where the impact of an air traffic management decision in relation to a particular aircraft on a particular day gives rise to a long delay, an overnight delay, or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft, even though all reasonable measures had been taken by the air carrier concerned to avoid the delays or cancellations."

Then ask BA how a 2 minute delay can be deemed to constitute extraordinary circumstances.

If they still persist with this approach, ask them for a deadlock email and initiate CEDR proceedings - it was CEDR who adjudicated in my favour over a delay of 10 mins due to ATC on departure, 23 mins enroute due to headwinds and 20 mins holding into London, which caused a misconnect. They dismissed the headwind delay as inherent in airline operations and decided that the 30 mins delay due to ATC was not extraordinary in the context of recital 15.

Good luck.
DYKWIA likes this.

Last edited by Albert130j; Oct 23, 2019 at 8:08 am Reason: To clarify post
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to welcome you, Albert130j, to the BA forum and to Flyertalk, thanks for taking part since without participation there would be nothing to see here. I very much we will see more of you in the future.
James91 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Thanks to all for the useful information on this thread. I've filed a claim against Iberia for when there was an aircraft switch and ended up 3.5 hours late in to LGW. Reading online they say Iberia is notoriously difficult to get anything out, but I will deffo return to this forum for useful information.

Thank you
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Chalkie
I was on BA0085 LHR-YVR on 23 September. I submitted an EU 261 compensation claim and received the response below from BA:
"I’ve checked the details of your flight and can confirm your flight, BA0085, at
16:20 GMT was delayed for 216 minutes. I’ve included the details below for your reference.

Flight BA0085 from LHR to YVR
Scheduled departure date and time: 23 September 2019 16:20 GMT
Actual departure date and time: 23 September 2019 20:04 GMT
Scheduled arrival date and time: 24 September 2019 01:55 GMT
Actual arrival date and time: 24 September 2019 05:31 GMT
Total delay: 216 minutes.

I have looked into the reasons on why your flight was delayed and I can see that the flight was delayed for a total of 216 minutes. Unfortunately, 54 of these minutes were due to airport security staff issues which we're not responsible for. The remaining 170 minutes of your delay were due to technical issues on the aircraft. We're liable to pay for this type of delay, but as this is under 180 minutes, your claim for compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 has been refused."
I was also on BA85 on 23 September, and received Ł268.45 compensation based on a 3-4 hour delay, so at the very least the handling of the claims has been inconsistent.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
BA465 10/8 - received an offer of settlement via CEDR so looks like BA have finally folded.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
BA465 10/8 - received an offer of settlement via CEDR so looks like BA have finally folded.
Thats good to hear. BA continued to stand their ground on BA465 10/8 and I received their final position notice last week. I logged the claim with the CEDR last week so hopefully I may hear soon
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
My case settled today is 581289 if you need that information. Same text as reported by mikeyfly a few messages up, including not admitting liability
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:41 am

hoping this this is the reason my original payout for 464 hasnt been paid yet. 28/10 will be the 20 day compliance date for them to pay me. Also nothing from the earlier approved 465 via BA customer service. So added a note to the CEDR claim stating this as well...
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
Had a delay/rerouting back in May. The situation is tricky:
(1) AA operated BA ticketed flight ORD-BCN was delayed by ~2h
(2) I missed a connection in Barcelona (BCN-DME) operated by S7
(3) They re-routed me to a different airport in Moscow on SU (BCN-SVO). The total delay on arrival was 3h05min + the ground segment (~100km) that counts.

The entire ticket was issued by BA (DME-LHR-DFW-TUS TUS-ORD-BCN-DME) but there was in fact only one BA operated flight (DME-LHR).

Sent a request to AA back in June as they were the operating carrier. 100% ignored -- no response, no compensation.
Sent a request to BA about a week ago. No answer so far. Should I go to one of the Internet law firms (flightdelayed etc.) or is it better to wait?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by chil
Had a delay/rerouting back in May. The situation is tricky:
(1) AA operated BA ticketed flight ORD-BCN was delayed by ~2h
(2) I missed a connection in Barcelona (BCN-DME) operated by S7
(3) They re-routed me to a different airport in Moscow on SU (BCN-SVO). The total delay on arrival was 3h05min + the ground segment (~100km) that counts.

The entire ticket was issued by BA (DME-LHR-DFW-TUS TUS-ORD-BCN-DME) but there was in fact only one BA operated flight (DME-LHR).

Sent a request to AA back in June as they were the operating carrier. 100% ignored -- no response, no compensation.
Sent a request to BA about a week ago. No answer so far. Should I go to one of the Internet law firms (flightdelayed etc.) or is it better to wait?
They're a US carrier (or more specifically for the explanation, not an EU airline) so they're not liable on an inbound TATL sadly so I doubt there's a claim there. Plus the destination is not EU either which probably doesn't help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.