Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's certainly interesting the lengths they have gone through here, and you seem to have found some holes in there logic anyway.

I would query whether (a) having 6 spare aircraft - actually 1 in reality - is intolerable (you are correct, that phrase comes from CEDR rulings) - is this not inherent in their operations? And one working aircraft for a large and profitable airline at their global hub hardly seems overkill (b) maybe if they had taken more care with their fleet they would not be 5 / 10 aircraft down on one day. (c) what evidence is there that they looked to other carriers to rebook passengers? (d) what evidence is there that they didn't operate their other French services to do a second stop (e.g. ex CDG or NCE?).

We are in the "all reasonable measures" game here, and I'm not seeing that proved here.
Brilliant arguments c-w-s ! I did not think of some of those arguments in my draft reply... Thank you very much !
I will keep this forum posted of any decision.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Cancellation of Flight on 7th Sep

Have had a dialog with BA, latest reply saying they wont reply to me anymore and suggesting CEDR, which I will be doing in the next few days.

Doing a little research on "TheBAsource", I'm assuming if a flight doesnt appear in the Flight Tracker or Route Tracker it didnt go, presumably cancelled. Looking at the LHR-EWR route, which is the one I was cancelled on, there have been 12 cancelled flights in July-September. There are two daily flights on this route plus numerous flights to JFK. I checked at random the routes to Calgary (BA103), Chennai (BA35), Pittsburgh (BA171) and Rio (BA249) all of which have only one flight per day served by B787 and strangely there has not been one cancellation on these routes over the same three month period.

Would seem to me that BA are scheduling aircraft such that they only ever cancel on a route with multiple flights which certainly does make these "extraordinary circumstances"!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA
Claim approved

Update - BA have responded today to day the claim is approved and so €250 each (Ł equivalent) is due.

Thanks again for all your help!

Yes, I would claim on that basis. You will also have to make the case that though the aircraft arrived exactly 3 hours late, that it took a minute or two more to get the doors open. However it is "3 hours or more" so at 3 hours the claim is ok. They may say that some of the delay is ATC or weather however.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: NA
Dear all, I just received my BA response. My flight arrived exactly 3 hours after original intended time, as confirmed by them (180 mins Total Delay). However they claim 178 minutes is technical fault while 2 mins is due to 'lost time in the air' to quote their response 'Weather factors such as wind speed are outside of our control and therefore we are not liable to pay EU compensation in this case.'

I cannot remember any adverse weather the day of our flight, and to be honest, they could have put their foot down and flown a bit faster to make up time.

It does not seem to be an extreme enough event in my mind, am trying to claim the 250€ compensation and also I had to purchase another return flight (with them), as I was unable to get back in a timely manner for my original inbound leg (as I arrived 3 hrs late to start with!) - they have offered to refund the original unused leg, but I believe it is not compensation enough....

Should I push back here?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: BA
potentially push back I’d say - see CWS’ really helpful response to my query re a delay of exactly 3 hours. Make the point that by the time the doors opened, it was 3hours-plus-a-few-minutes, taking the compensation-liable delay to 3 hours+.

Originally Posted by luvadealme
Dear all, I just received my BA response. My flight arrived exactly 3 hours after original intended time, as confirmed by them (180 mins Total Delay). However they claim 178 minutes is technical fault while 2 mins is due to 'lost time in the air' to quote their response 'Weather factors such as wind speed are outside of our control and therefore we are not liable to pay EU compensation in this case.'

I cannot remember any adverse weather the day of our flight, and to be honest, they could have put their foot down and flown a bit faster to make up time.

It does not seem to be an extreme enough event in my mind, am trying to claim the 250€ compensation and also I had to purchase another return flight (with them), as I was unable to get back in a timely manner for my original inbound leg (as I arrived 3 hrs late to start with!) - they have offered to refund the original unused leg, but I believe it is not compensation enough....

Should I push back here?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:50 am

It's certainly interesting the lengths they have gone through here, and you seem to have found some holes in there logic anyway.

I would query whether (a) having 6 spare aircraft - actually 1 in reality - is intolerable (you are correct, that phrase comes from CEDR rulings) - is this not inherent in their operations? And one working aircraft for a large and profitable airline at their global hub hardly seems overkill (b) maybe if they had taken more care with their fleet they would not be 5 / 10 aircraft down on one day. (c) what evidence is there that they looked to other carriers to rebook passengers? (d) what evidence is there that they didn't operate their other French services to do a second stop (e.g. ex CDG or NCE?).

We are in the "all reasonable measures" game here, and I'm not seeing that proved here.
I’m not a lawyer, but one counter argument to your point b) would be, from BA’s point of view, “if we hadn’t been this scrupulous with safety then we could’ve glossed over faults and dispatched faulty aircrafts, but we’re safety first and so we’d rather use our spares”. Having said that, depending on the problems, one could argue that some faults are not BA’s. Bird strikes, lightning strikes, planes being damaged by ground staff at outstations just to name a few. In my experience the latter two are fairly common, with the latter being endemic especially in those outstations handled by Aviapartner... but I digress.

Your point a) is interesting. 6 frames on a day, for a fleet of approx. 140, is more or less 5%. I don’t think there’s a mandatory minimum set legally, or an industry-recognised average. Perhaps there ought to, but in this case it should apply to trains and other industries too? (I’ve recently taken to commuting on Overground and I’ve just learned that a train could be “on time” but not have stopped at half its stations, which is hilarious...).
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 13901
I’m not a lawyer,.....depending on the problems, one could argue that some faults are not BA’s...., planes being damaged by ground staff at outstations just to name a few. In my experience the latter two are fairly common, with the latter being endemic especially in those outstations handled by Aviapartner... but I digress....
Would a lawyer know about principal-agent relationships? I’d hope so.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Oct 22, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft
Would a lawyer know about principal agent relationships? I’d hope so.
The point I was trying to make here is not that somebody carelessly bumping into their planes excuses BA from EC261. I have my feeling about EC261 being applied to tech delays, which I fear can lead to unsafe conduct, but that's not the case. A plane damaged by somebody is still EC261-kosher, regardless of the tabard worn by the fella who damages it.

What I was trying to say, instead, is that - in the context of a dwindling reserve of standby planes - there are factors outside of BA's control. Being damaged by a third party is, in my opinion, one of those.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 13901
..... in the context of a dwindling reserve of standby planes - there are factors outside of BA's control. Being damaged by a third party is, in my opinion, one of those.
IANAL. Is a ground handling agent who BA have a contract with a third party?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No they are regarded as being within BAs control and so damaged caused by them when working for BA is not an extra ordinary circumstances.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No they are regarded as being within BAs control and so damaged caused by them when working for BA is not an extra ordinary circumstances.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar

Should I push back here?
I mean... What? Who in their right mind wouldn't call B... on this one?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Hi,

I've just become aware I may be eligible for copensation for a delay back in 2016. At the time I had no idea, but talking with a friend today, I mentioned how we'd waited hours for a delayed flight due to technical reasons.

Is there somewhere where I kind find historical flight information, particularly arrival times from that far back? It was an Iberia flight

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
Is there somewhere where I kind find historical flight information, particularly arrival times from that far back? It was an Iberia flight

If you know your date of travel, flight number or route and departure time, you should be able to put your details into the free checkers EUClaim or bottonline to check they both say compensation due then contact Iberia
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

"Wind speed out of our control"

If there had been a hurricane, then maybe...

Definitely go to CEDR with this one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.