Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:39 am

No reply as yet from BA from my claim on 15/9, however I got a "confirmation of changes" email yesterday from manage my booking. Think somebody at BA has been having a look and something will be imminent?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by bbbear
No reply as yet from BA from my claim on 15/9, however I got a "confirmation of changes" email yesterday from manage my booking. Think somebody at BA has been having a look and something will be imminent?
I think you may be well down the queue. BA is rather swamped with claims at the moment. Check again in about 3 weeks.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Avios
Flight

Originally Posted by bbbear
I've PM'd you. It's good news.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Avios
Update on my cancelled LA flight on 13th September, which led to a later flight which was then delayed etc. We were all a bit wondering if it was trent issues. I called and was put on hold while they checked the reason for cancellation. They haven't told me the reason, but have confirmed it's eligible.

Thank you so much to everyone on here who helped and supported, and help others on here on a daily basis. It's very much appreciated.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: BA
BA2789 02OCT2019 delay length and cause

Hi everyone... have tried looking on expertFlyer but suspect I’m being obtuse. My folks were delayed last night on BA2789 by (according to ba.com) *exactly* 3 hours. Am trying to work out if EU261 is due. Could anyone look up the delay length and cause for me please? The flight is BA2789 BOD-LGW on 02 October 2019 -STA 21:35. Actual (on BA.com) 00:35+1

thanks!!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by LC12345
Update on my cancelled LA flight on 13th September, which led to a later flight which was then delayed etc. We were all a bit wondering if it was trent issues. I called and was put on hold while they checked the reason for cancellation. They haven't told me the reason, but have confirmed it's eligible.

Thank you so much to everyone on here who helped and supported, and help others on here on a daily basis. It's very much appreciated.

Superb. Thanks for the update.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Herts81
Hi everyone... have tried looking on expertFlyer but suspect I’m being obtuse. My folks were delayed last night on BA2789 by (according to ba.com) *exactly* 3 hours. Am trying to work out if EU261 is due. Could anyone look up the delay length and cause for me please? The flight is BA2789 BOD-LGW on 02 October 2019 -STA 21:35. Actual (on BA.com) 00:35+1

thanks!!
Thank you for asking so soon after the flight, and providing all the relevant details, that makes my life a lot easier! They are blaming weather (WE) but it would also be interesting to pitch that against what the captain said in his/her pre-boarding annoucement, which tends to be far more informative than two letters of the alphabet. That said, from all I read, weather was indeed a bit of a problem yesterday. Personally I don't think this is a plausible claim based on this.

DOBA2789/02OCT
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA2789 -1 WE 02OCT19
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

BOD ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2345
LEFT THE GATE 0000
TOOK OFF 0012
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0040 LGW
LGW AIRCRAFT LANDED 0026
ARRIVED 0035
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA2789 -1 WE 02OCT19
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
BOD 2100 WE JCDRI/M YB/G 320 1:35
HKMLVNOQSGX/G
LGW 2135 WE 1:35

Attached Images  
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
BA464 10/8 - no communication from BA CS, but the CEDR case has been updated to say a cheque is being sent. I would normally have expected them to call me for bank details, and they haven't answered the question about whether they are prepared to settle BA465 without CEDR. So I guess it's CEDR time again.

Extremely tiresome.
florens likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BA
Thanks CWS. The flight crew said the delay was because the air conditioning was not working on the LGW-BOD outbound and so they had to wait for it to be fixed - hence the aircraft spending 4+ hours on the ground in BOD before returning to London.

on that basis, do you think EU261 is worth a punt or will BA rely on the “weather” argument? - unless they mean the weather *inside* the cabin, of course 😂

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thank you for asking so soon after the flight, and providing all the relevant details, that makes my life a lot easier! They are blaming weather (WE) but it would also be interesting to pitch that against what the captain said in his/her pre-boarding annoucement, which tends to be far more informative than two letters of the alphabet. That said, from all I read, weather was indeed a bit of a problem yesterday. Personally I don't think this is a plausible claim based on this.

DOBA2789/02OCT
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA2789 -1 WE 02OCT19
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

BOD ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2345
LEFT THE GATE 0000
TOOK OFF 0012
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0040 LGW
LGW AIRCRAFT LANDED 0026
ARRIVED 0035
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA2789 -1 WE 02OCT19
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
BOD 2100 WE JCDRI/M YB/G 320 1:35
HKMLVNOQSGX/G
LGW 2135 WE 1:35

Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Herts81
Thanks CWS. The flight crew said the delay was because the air conditioning was not working on the LGW-BOD outbound and so they had to wait for it to be fixed - hence the aircraft spending 4+ hours on the ground in BOD before returning to London.

on that basis, do you think EU261 is worth a punt or will BA rely on the “weather” argument? - unless they mean the weather *inside* the cabin, of course ��
Yes, I would claim on that basis. You will also have to make the case that though the aircraft arrived exactly 3 hours late, that it took a minute or two more to get the doors open. However it is "3 hours or more" so at 3 hours the claim is ok. They may say that some of the delay is ATC or weather however.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
BA have confirmed they want me to go through CEDR for the 10/8 BA465 claim.

Has anyone got an active CEDR for this flight?
Brainless69 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
BA have confirmed they want me to go through CEDR for the 10/8 BA465 claim.

Has anyone got an active CEDR for this flight?
will it be sufficient to just say you have ruled in my favour for 465 so give me the money? Or does it need to be more in-depth?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brainless69
will it be sufficient to just say you have ruled in my favour for 465 so give me the money? Or does it need to be more in-depth?
I fear that if we have to go through the rigmarole again, then from CEDR's perspective we need to start from the beginning. However you could look at the CEDR ruling above, change a few details and save everyone time. By all means reference the existing CEDR reference number in the very first line.
Brainless69 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:12 pm

i've just sent a message to BA so will await their reply before launching another CEDR case...hoping that their CS will be their consistently inconsistent selves and give me the refund..
florens likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think the answer to this is ‘the regulation wouldn’t apply’, but want to check.

My parents were flying LHR-DOH-NRT on Qatar. My mum is allergic to nuts, when they boarded the DOH-NRT and told the cabin crew they refused to let them fly and kicked them off the flight. Ended up having to get a doctors note to say she was fit to fly (ridiculous given she’d already flown the LHR-DOH leg).

My guess is that as they were delayed only on the DOH-NRT leg the compensation wouldn’t apply?

thanks for your advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.