Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
so I think the 1466 is the nightstopper which departs LHR around 2030 and it’s that aircraft which is used for the first flight down the next day. Now I am not saying don’t claim, but on the basis ba didn’t want an aircraft and crews stuck up at INV for two days since they couldn’t depart on the strike day I fully expect ba to deny the claim since the cancellation was due to the next days ATC strike.
Originally Posted by armouredant
I think that's tenuous; they COULD have run the flight, but in their own interests, they did not. I don't think "reasonable measures" were taken by the airline here.
An alternative reasonable view is that BA could have run the LHR-INV flight as normal but then returned it back that evening (empty if necessary) to LHR if it didn't want the plane and crew stuck in INV for a couple of days.

Heck if they pulled their fingers out they could have offered it to pax due to depart INV on the next days cancelled morning flight the chance to leave INV a day earlier.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
An alternative reasonable view is that BA could have run the LHR-INV flight as normal but then returned it back that evening (empty if necessary) to LHR if it didn't want the plane and crew stuck in INV for a couple of days.

Heck if they pulled their fingers out they could have offered it to pax due to depart INV on the next days cancelled morning flight the chance to leave INV a day earlier.
That was my thought and why I filed. In my eyes, the only cancellation should have been July 21. By cancelling July 20, they chose to push the inconvenience to me as a customer, rather than bearing it themselves. If my claim gets denied, is there an appeal or escalation process that I could read up on?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chongl
If my claim gets denied, is there an appeal or escalation process that I could read up on?
If you mean an appeal against BA's own reply to your claim, then you should consider CEDR, of which there is a ton of material upthread. You can also then appeal that to whatever small claims court process exists in your part of the world. In some places you can do both, try CEDR and then go to a small claims court, in other places you may be constrained to go to small claims if CEDR have ruled unless there is a material error in CEDR's outcome.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:24 pm
HRE

Programs: BA
BA1399 MAN-LHR delayed 08/08

So an interesting one this after all the chaos of yesterday... seemed to be plenty of people with onward connections who hadn’t flown yesterday and been rebooked today only to be hit with another delay! A few people had missed their flights for a second time This one was due to a faulty fuel sensor on the aircraft, which they eventually fixed.

Anyway, back to the point of my question... we were 2hr 54mins delayed according to the flight stats but we sat on the tarmac for a good 10 minutes waiting for the doors to open because the buses weren’t available, so could I please check what we would be due under EU261? Am I reading it right at 250 EUR?

I assume I will get into a lengthy debate about whether the delay was 3 hours or more with BA as they don’t seem to have acknowledged the slow door opening!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HRE
Anyway, back to the point of my question... we were 2hr 54mins delayed, so could I please check what we would be due under EU261? Am I reading it right at 250 EUR, as the threshold is 2 hours when <1500km?
It's 3 hours for delays, 2 hours if there was a cancellation and you were rebooked. More details in the EC261 thread available via the BA Forum Dashboard.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 8, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and yes it's not just the time the doors are opened that matters it's the time the doors are opened AND passengers are able to leave the plane.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:27 am

Hi All I have an outstanding claim for 2 separate flights for 2 people which were badly delayed and then cancelled, I submitted the claim on 31 Jul 2019 and I recieved an automatic reply with a case reference number. Since then I have heard nothing at all.

The email states " We are currently experiencing exceptionally high volumes and aim to get back to you as soon as possible"

Any idea how long these things are taking at the moment and is there anything I can do to chase?

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wytco0
Any idea how long these things are taking at the moment and is there anything I can do to chase?
I think you need to wait a month if you don't have status, and perhaps a couple of weeks if Gold. I can well imagine they are overloaded at the moment, and we tend to get reports of swift service to Golds in November rather than from Blue cardholders in August.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think you need to wait a month if you don't have status, and perhaps a couple of weeks if Gold. I can well imagine they are overloaded at the moment, and we tend to get reports of swift service to Golds in November rather than from Blue cardholders in August.
Thanks CWS, please note I do have status, I am a VIP Bronze so I expect Alex himself is dealing with my case ;-)
rapidex, patersoj and hotel_user like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:55 am
HRE

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Gosh a month to respond to a claim. BA really don’t help themselves with customer satisfaction do they!?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wytco0
Thanks CWS, please note I do have status, I am a VIP Bronze so I expect Alex himself is dealing with my case ;-)
As one of our valued Bronze cardholders, I'm sure Álex is right on top of the matter.
rapidex and tynmar like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Theoretically speaking.. let's say my AA domestic flight was delayed for whatever reason and I missed my BA transatlantic connection to LHR meaning (and I missed the last flight of the day and had to overnight), who would be responsible for arranging a hotel?

Or would I just be out of luck because its AAs "fault" and they don't give out hotel vouchers?

BA issued ticket FWIW.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
Theoretically speaking.. let's say my AA domestic flight was delayed for whatever reason and I missed my BA transatlantic connection to LHR meaning (and I missed the last flight of the day and had to overnight), who would be responsible for arranging a hotel?

Or would I just be out of luck because its AAs "fault" and they don't give out hotel vouchers?

BA issued ticket FWIW.
Ticketing doesn't help here, either way. But as the law currently stands, it would be AA responsible, and that tends not to go well. That said, it's a bit of an urban myth they never hand out vouchers, and having status on a transatlantic service may get you a Hampton Inn booking, with varying degrees of good grace. Failing that a special irrop code, which at least caps the room rate. I can see a scenario a few years down the line where BA could be held responsible if the AA service was a BA codeshare. Best to insure or self-insure in the mean time.
Schwann likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GGL

BA issued ticket FWIW.
AA would never give you a voucher on the ground; but if you called BA or approached a BA desk they might sort it.
Schwann likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA issued ticket FWIW.
It would depend on the reason. It it was AA's fault e.g. tech problem then they would.

It is was weather then you would and then claim from your travel insurance.

As as the AA flight is within the US then EU261 does not apply so you're under AA policy.

And it's not down to BA to sort you out either
Schwann likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.