Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nederlander79
I suppose my question is the redemption was 4000 +£17.50 for MAN/LHR and then 7750 +£25 for LHR/AMS leg. I think even if BA agreed to pay out the 30% back is such a pittance. I guess all I should be expecting is a refund of £7.50 tax and 3750 Avios for the difference between ET and CE on the second flight? Or am I missing something? Final arrival in Schiphol was 21.35 vs original planned 19.15 btw.
In that situation I would hope that BA would indeed just refund the delta between CE and ET as indicated, though strictly speaking they could follow the Mennens calculation, which as you indicate would not be worth pursuing. As it happens BA starts with the Involuntary Fare recalculation method first, which would work to your advantage here. Since you were less than 3 hours late, that is as far as it goes - you couldn't claim Article 7 compensation anyway. But you were over 2 hours late, so you could have claimed some Buy on Board so long as it was reasonable. Best to pay by Avios since that would be easy to refund. If you were in a lounge before the AMS service I suspect they would decline to pay that.
flyertalker00197 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:06 am
Suspended

Thanks so much - appreciate your time here
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I don't think that I am eligible for compensation under EC261, however I would just like to confirm.

- I flew on BA745 from ZRH-LHR on Friday last week (15-03-2019)
- Delayed departure time 19:57 (according to FlightRadar24) 1hr 52mins late; owing to late arrival of the incoming plane
- Landed at 20:44 (according to FlightRadar24), 1hr 54mins late
- We were still on the plane at 21:06 (from my noting down of the time) owing to a broken down jet bridge and waiting for a set of stairs
- My notes say that I was through immigration by 21:23

So we were not able to deplane until over two hours after our scheduled landing time.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
So we were not able to deplane until over two hours after our scheduled landing time.
Yes, it's always a 3 hours minimum for delays (any distance); 2 hours may have been relevant on shorter flights if there was a cancellation involved.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it's always a 3 hours minimum for delays (any distance); 2 hours may have been relevant on shorter flights if there was a cancellation involved.
Thank you, thought this was the case but people on the plane were saying that because it was 2 hours they would be claiming.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Mar 20, 2019 at 8:25 am Reason: Missed out quote
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Thank you, thought this was the case but people on the plane were saying that because it was 2 hours they would be claiming.
Well I agree it's confusing, there is quite a lot of publicity out there that says something along the lines of "after 2 hours you may be able to claim compensation", which is a completely true statement, it just doesn't apply to a bog standard delay of under 3 hours.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:07 am

Hi all,
A while I haven't been on the forum but I have a dilemma on a BA potential compensation. I'll try to make my case as clear as possible:

Last summer, I was on holiday in Morocco supposed to come back September 8th with the BA2669 RAK-LGW 18:20-21:45 booked on Avios.
On September 9th I had a TAP flight at 11:20 LHR-LIS-GRU (in J) for work. I would argue this is not a self-connection as the trips are different and there are over 13 hours between the first arrival and the second departure.

On the 8th at RAK airport the BA flight starts taxiing twice but we never get to take-off due to an engine-related problem. We get a night in a hotel and they say the flight will depart the following morning.
As the TAP flight were work-related, I managed to rearrange my itinerary with my travel agent for the following day from LHR-LIS-GRU to RAK-LIS-GRU (however I had to give up the J class to Y class...).
Obviously, I never board on the second flight as I am travelling to Brazil for work.
While I am not there, the BA flight gets delayed again and again until the night of the 9th and lands in LGW in the early hours of the 10th with over 24hrs delay. My girlfriend remained in RAK and boarded eventually that flights. She also claimed and got compensation with no question asked.

On the other hand, BA has refused to compensate me as: "
I have investigated the eligibility of your claim, and I'm sorry to advise that your claim for EU Compensation has been refused as you did not travel on the delayed flight. Under EU Regulation 261/2004, I'm afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation."

Is this true? I also want to point out that BA did not offer any alternative flight to get to London.

Thanks for your replies and knowledge! If I haven't been clear I can clarify!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
As you did not actually fly on the delayed BA flight then you simply don't qualify for EU261. Your partner did which is why she got it.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: BA
Update

It's not good to have a bus crammed like that, but to BA's credit, this is often the fastest way of switching aircraft, particularly a large one such as a 747. If you take people up the airbridge someone simply won't make it to another gate, even if it stayed in T5B. If it was T5C it becomes impossible. You then have to reshuffle all the baggage so that passengers and baggage are reconciled.

You are correct that BA are unlikely to agree to this, arguing that more than 25 minutes is due to weather / ATC, and that may be plausible. However you also have a point that the extra delays were caused by fundamentally an aircraft going tech - and I also think you have a plausible line on "all reasonable steps". So you need to look at post 171 for how to handle, and you just need to line your ducks in a row.

In that respect, you will find the following useful.
Hello CWS,

Just to update - BA have rejected my claim and offered me avios, just like you. They're stating the plane needed to be de-iced (it never was) and that caused the delay. I have replied correcting them, and informed them that I reject their offer, and I have also asked for confirmation this is their final decision. Additionally, I have asked them to list the reasonable steps they took to avoid the operational delay.

Just like you in 171, there was no mention of exceptional circumstances. I'll await a response, and escalate if they do not change their stance. Thanks for your help, if you have any further advice it would be great. Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikkelErikson
Just like you in 171, there was no mention of exceptional circumstances. I'll await a response, and escalate if they do not change their stance. Thanks for your help, if you have any further advice it would be great. Thanks!
The best advice I can give at this point is try to close down the lines of argument if you can, there is a risk that asking for them to list reasonable steps will give them another bite of the cherry. Hopefully not and they will give you the "our answer will not change". It's unusual - though not unprecedented - that BA change their minds once they have pronounced. On the other hand it was probably good to document that the aircraft wasn't de-iced. Apart from that, just get your timings listed and perhaps start researching CEDR.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GiPi
On the other hand, BA has refused to compensate me as: "[/color]I have investigated the eligibility of your claim, and I'm sorry to advise that your claim for EU Compensation has been refused as you did not travel on the delayed flight. Under EU Regulation 261/2004, I'm afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation."

Is this true? I also want to point out that BA did not offer any alternative flight to get to London.
That is correct, however they should have given you a refund on the unused sector of the ticket, plus Right to Care to the point where cancellation was inevitable.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:53 pm

That is correct, however they should have given you a refund on the unused sector of the ticket, plus Right to Care to the point where cancellation was inevitable.
Thanks a lot CWS. At least I will recover 6.4k miles (+40 quid)... better than nothing!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:18 pm

Are you sure about this? The way Article 5 is written, it sounds as you do not give up your rights under Article 7 regardless of which option you pick under Article 8.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Article 5 is about cancellations. The flight that GiPi was booked on wasn't cancelled but delayed.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Article 5 is about cancellations. The flight that GiPi was booked on wasn't cancelled but delayed.
It was delayed for more than three hours, which unless I'm wrong legally means that it was cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.