Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SurreyTig
I agree that LHR can be rubbish but I don’t think I cam blame them in this case as nobody from BA requested that they return to the original aircraft in order to assist the move to the replacement. This is despite us sitting on the original aircraft for a substantial time while the arrangements were made to “move us all, the baggage and catering as quickly and safely as possible” to quote the Captain
i would disagree and as an ardent critic of BA would defend them on this matter.

Notification of an aircraft change is automatically broadcast via multiple systems to all the agencies at LHR. It is simply bad management or a lack of resources that means you are left till last or simply ignored. Those responsible for your journey through the airport to the aircraft should have reacted to the change as everyone else did.

things won’t get better if you don’t complain
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Had to fly into Mad vs Bcn due to strike

Wondering if we are entitled anything. Ticket was Lax-LHR on AA then AA/BA code share onto BCN all in Biz
Morning of departure got notice BCN was cancelled due to strike . Interesting only flight of the day was cancelled and all others but ours operated
due to our afternoon AA arrival the only option was into MAD so I agreed and we had to fly there and drive 5 hrs to pick up our itinerary that next day
was a huge inconvenience but now that AA posted some flight incorrect and got me thinking of this was eligible for anything
This was end of August it occurred
Maybe it’s too late
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depending on reason for cancellation, you may be entitled to EUR250
You are entitled to reimbursement of any expenses incurred getting to Madrid
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Depending on reason for cancellation, you may be entitled to EUR250
You are entitled to reimbursement of any expenses incurred getting to Madrid
bcn ground strike
original flight was into BCN and we had to fly to Mad
quite a diversion 5 hrs away
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by binman
i would disagree and as an ardent critic of BA would defend them on this matter.

Notification of an aircraft change is automatically broadcast via multiple systems to all the agencies at LHR. It is simply bad management or a lack of resources that means you are left till last or simply ignored. Those responsible for your journey through the airport to the aircraft should have reacted to the change as everyone else did.

things won’t get better if you don’t complain
When merited I quite happily bash both BA and LHR and would agree that complaint is the best way to drive improvement
BA has now (since your reply) accepted responsibility for the delay and mobility assistance problems so LHR are off the hook
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Executive Club
I had a seemingly rare positive experience with BA following the diversion of yesterday’s BA8731 to Southend on account of fog closing LCY - we were advised to ‘pay and claim’ by the flight crew but given the total lack of BA ground presence at SEN very little info as to the limits of BA’s generosity and general lack of clarity on passenger rights during a diversion.

We decided to chance it and hopped on a cab home to London (£127!) rather than endure a two hour train ride. I submitted my claim in the evening and woke up this morning to an email from BA saying a cheque for £127 is in the post!

I know it’s not strictly EU 261 related (as I don’t think weather related diversions are covered?) but thought worth sharing as a positive anecdote, especially re Q.21 (Can I make my own arrangements and charge back BA?).

And finally to note, credit to the flight deck for keeping us well informed throughout!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Welcom the flyer talk

Good it got sorted. It is EU261 related as it comes under the 'duty of care' provisions even if the delay is caused by weather or factors that would deny compensation for the delay.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by L1011UL
I know it’s not strictly EU 261 related (as I don’t think weather related diversions are covered?)
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum L1011UL, BA seems to have moved very swiftly in your case.

The right to care is always in place for EC261, though there have been frequent reports of BA capping the taxi payments at £50 per person. So I'd probably steer people to the train service rather than leave them out of pocket by assuming this is available, right to care does not explicitly say that taxi use is ok. But thanks for reporting back on your case.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by L1011UL
I had a seemingly rare positive experience with BA following the diversion of yesterday’s BA8731 to Southend on account of fog closing LCY - we were advised to ‘pay and claim’ by the flight crew but given the total lack of BA ground presence at SEN very little info as to the limits of BA’s generosity and general lack of clarity on passenger rights during a diversion.

We decided to chance it and hopped on a cab home to London (£127!) rather than endure a two hour train ride. I submitted my claim in the evening and woke up this morning to an email from BA saying a cheque for £127 is in the post!

I know it’s not strictly EU 261 related (as I don’t think weather related diversions are covered?) but thought worth sharing as a positive anecdote, especially re Q.21 (Can I make my own arrangements and charge back BA?).

And finally to note, credit to the flight deck for keeping us well informed throughout!
Glad you got your taxi refunded and rightly so, to be fair to BA, despite the moans you get from a few on here, they do generally do quite well in this regard.

I’d agree with @corporate-wage-slave, I’m sure there are times when it would be unreasonable for an airline to pay for a taxi, and appreciate it can be challenging when there are no ground representatives to ask, so would always add a note of caution to at least consider whether there are reasonable cheaper alternatives or potentially giving BA a quick call to check.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Large threads in this forum are refreshed annually for housekeeping purposes and efficient data loading, so this 2019 thread is now closed. Please see this thread for the current 2020 thread.
The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.