Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Not sure where is best to ask this, so I will start here (sorry if this is the wrong place);

I am looking at going to Punta Mita (to spend some Marriott Points) in December (1st or 2nd week) and I have a Lloyds Upgrade Voucher to use. I see Club award is available to MEX but not onwards to PVR. So I am looking at booking the redemption flight on the 2nd December LHR to MEX and then MEX to PVR return on a cash booking. I know transit and connection are not guaranteed. So am looking for advice on booking these two separate tickets, would you add a night stop in MEX (considering how late the LHR - MEX arrives) saves miss connection? Or would you leave say 2 hours between the two? On the return is not too bad due to the late departure and also freq of the PVR to MEX Route.

If I am not clear, please ask.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:25 pm

search PVG-LAX flight, AA and Qantas both show up AA direct flight but Avios only show up JAL Connection flight, is it normal ? do I have to call and BA will waive the phone booking fees?

Thank you!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Not sure where is best to ask this, so I will start here (sorry if this is the wrong place);

I am looking at going to Punta Mita (to spend some Marriott Points) in December (1st or 2nd week) and I have a Lloyds Upgrade Voucher to use. I see Club award is available to MEX but not onwards to PVR. So I am looking at booking the redemption flight on the 2nd December LHR to MEX and then MEX to PVR return on a cash booking. I know transit and connection are not guaranteed. So am looking for advice on booking these two separate tickets, would you add a night stop in MEX (considering how late the LHR - MEX arrives) saves miss connection? Or would you leave say 2 hours between the two? On the return is not too bad due to the late departure and also freq of the PVR to MEX Route.

If I am not clear, please ask.
I don't know the LHR-MEX or MEX-PVR schedules, but I would plan at least 3 or 4 hours between flights when it comes to separate tickets. So adding one night is surely on the safe side.
Moreover, when going back to catch the return TATL I would make sure to have at least one other flight available between the booked one and separate return ticket departure, just in case.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:48 pm

Apologies if this isn't the best place - quite new to redeeming. I need to get to Vienna next month, unfortunately there are no ET reward flights available for the dates I need. I have the option of either spending 35.5k Avios + £1 taxes with BA for CE or buying Austrian for £112 (both return). Is this a good use in people's opinion of the Avios or should I save for something better?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by shallowdrift
Apologies if this isn't the best place - quite new to redeeming. I need to get to Vienna next month, unfortunately there are no ET reward flights available for the dates I need. I have the option of either spending 35.5k Avios + £1 taxes with BA for CE or buying Austrian for £112 (both return). Is this a good use in people's opinion of the Avios or should I save for something better?
I'd book the flight on OS for £112.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
I'd book the flight on OS for £112.
Thanks! Given I have only about 100k avios, what would you suggest would be a good use of it by comparison? I generally do most of my longhaul in quite heavily discounted Economy.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by shallowdrift
Thanks! Given I have only about 100k avios, what would you suggest would be a good use of it by comparison?
I'd transfer to IB and look at something ex-MAD or BCN to east coast US or South America.
shallowdrift likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
I'd transfer to IB and look at something ex-MAD or BCN to east coast US or South America.
Thanks, did some research and brief calcs and it looks I could about achieve double the value based on this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
What is the best way to calculate the cash cost of an UuA? I am looking at a Premium Economy booking BCN-LHR-HKG-CGK and then return via the reverse route (with BCN-LHR and LHR-BCN in Economy). Each time the BCN-LHR and LHR-HKG legs are BA coded & on BA metal whilst the HKG-CGK legs are BA coded & on CX metal and the ticket will be 125- plated.

I would like to have an idea of the cost of upgrading either one or both of the LHR-HKG legs (if indeed it is at all possible?)

I tried to find the routing on ITA but wasn’t able to (most probably user error).

I know that the Avios cost would be 30,000 Avios per person per leg as I am looking at peak dates, but I would love to have an idea of the cash cost.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
A cash ticket with the BCN and CGK sectors in Economy and the LHR-HKG-LHR in Club will be prohibitively expensive (essentially summing BCN-LHR-BCN + LHR-HKG-LHR + HKG-CGK-HKG, with so-called end-to-end fares), which is why ITA isn't liking it.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:41 pm

The chart for AA awards needs updating. Band 1 (<651 miles) continues to price at the old level, 7500 miles. Band 2 now costs 9000.

No idea whether the same holds true for AS.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
I purchased a WT+ fare that was $100USD each way more than WT. I was unable to upgrade to Business class online however. I received a message that I had to call it in. I called in and there is availability on the legs. I do not want to upgrade all 4 legs as I wanted to try the business product on the LHR to TLV leg on the 350 (never been in business). Quoted $68 CDN plus 11250 points. First I assume this is a good use of points. However is the $68 including a call center fee or just taxes...I have not booked yet and if so I assume I should ask to have it waived as the system does not allow me to have upgraded when I purchased the fare or after without calling.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by testycal
However is the $68 including a call center fee or just taxes ...
I think that there should be no offline / phone fee in any event if you are upgrading using Avios. When you speak to the agent to do the UuA, just check with them that no offline fee is being charged.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Prospero

With all redemptions tickets, you will be charged all applicable taxes. fees, and surcharges in addition to the Avios points used to fund the ticket. These extras do add up to a significant sum. When estimating the cash extras, the general rule of thumb is your Avios points are used in place of the equivalent net fare, and so the airport fees, government taxes, fuel surcharges are all assessed as extras and must be paid in cash when you book your redemption.
For example, it now costs over £650 in taxes/fees/charges to redeem Avios for a Club World round trip from London to New York, or over US$1,420 for a Club World round trip from New York to London.
The ITA Matrix Airfare Search (Matrix - ITA Software by Google) is an excellent online tool for estimating the amount of taxes, fees, and surcharges that apply to your chosen routing.
Has anyone seen any sort of list or table that generally ranks BA taxes/fees/charges total by originating country?

For example, if its equally easy for me to fly ex-ZRH, ex-LYS, ex-MXP, or ex-MUC... which is likely to be most expensive vs least expensive? Similar comparisons to be made around Asia and possibly other regions.

If something like this doens't exist, perhaps some would be willing to compile such a rough guide with me? (DM if interested)
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Can someone explain this to me please?

How come a JFK-LHR is almost £100 less per person than JFK-LHR-EDI with only a three hour layover in LHR? A reward flight saver is only £17.50? Is it purely LHR taxes?

The original pricing page seem to price up correctly at £111 then jumps. The call centre confirmed the higher price. It would seem better to just buy a separate reward flight saver??

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.