Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:59 pm

Checked CDG-DOH on QR,
show fees is $ 409.39, but if you click"i", it will show $114.39

so is it website glitches?

Taxes, fees and charges

Per adult

PZAV - Qatar

CAD 2.76

Passenger Service Charge (International) - France

CAD 43.98

Solidarity Tax For France And French Overseas

CAD 67.65

Total government, authority and airport charges*More information

CAD 114.39

British Airways fees and carrier charges

Total taxes, fees, carrier imposed charges per person

Per adult CAD114.39
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ecgz88

Checked CDG-DOH on QR,
show fees is $ 409.39, but if you click"i", it will show $114.39

so is it website glitches?

Taxes, fees and charges

Per adult

PZAV - Qatar

CAD 2.76

Passenger Service Charge (International) - France

CAD 43.98

Solidarity Tax For France And French Overseas

CAD 67.65

Total government, authority and airport charges*More information

CAD 114.39

British Airways fees and carrier charges

Total taxes, fees, carrier imposed charges per person

Per adult CAD114.39
The estimate on the bottom of the flight list page can sometimes be wrong - although not normally this much out! The accurate figure is usually shown on the next page showing the flight cost quote. You can always check taxes/fees/charges but looking at an equivalent cash booking on itamatrix.

Looking at your example itamatrix shows TFC for J CDG-DOH on QR is CAD$409.60 which seems to be your first figure. When looking at ba.com rewards for J CDG-DOH I get an estimate on the flight list page of 60000 avios + £235.50 and the same figure on the quote page. The TFC breakdown shows:

PZAV - Qatar GBP 1.60
Passenger Service Charge (International) - France GBP 25.30
Solidarity Tax For France And French Overseas GBP 38.90
Carrier imposed charge GBP 3.10
Carrier imposed charge GBP 10.10
Carrier imposed charge GBP 7.10
Carrier imposed charge GBP 149.40
----------------------------------------------------------
Total taxes/fees/charges per person GBP 235.50
ecgz88 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Bit of a cry for help here! I need to day trip to Germany on this Saturday (from any London airport, LCY, LHR, LGW) preferemces - on a RFS (or very cheap flight).

Anywhere - as I simply need to visit a pharmacy to get Superpep (an amazing travel sickness pill in chewing gum form that can't get anywhere else - and we need for long trips next week for my daughter).

So, I could go from any airport on Fri night or Sat AM - ideally back on Sat late, or evening Sunday late and i'll make a weekend of it!

I've only ever been to Berlin (albeit 14 times...) and most main destinations (NUE/DUS/MUC) don't seem possible on a RFS. Any bright ideas - or airports just over the border I can train it in from neighbouring countries? Inventive suggestions welcome!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Bit of a cry for help here! I need to day trip to Germany on this Saturday (from any London airport, LCY, LHR, LGW) preferemces - on a RFS (or very cheap flight).

Anywhere - as I simply need to visit a pharmacy to get Superpep (an amazing travel sickness pill in chewing gum form that can't get anywhere else - and we need for long trips next week for my daughter).

So, I could go from any airport on Fri night or Sat AM - ideally back on Sat late, or evening Sunday late and i'll make a weekend of it!

I've only ever been to Berlin (albeit 14 times...) and most main destinations (NUE/DUS/MUC) don't seem possible on a RFS. Any bright ideas - or airports just over the border I can train it in from neighbouring countries? Inventive suggestions welcome!
Is Amazon.de not an option?

Amazon Amazon
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Thanks - that was first place I looked, but if you translate to English (you may speak fluent German) then just above the price "We do not deliver to mainland Britain"
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus

Whilst I do not know about where you can go from there to get the specific product, you can go to LUX for £80 for the day on Sunday this weekend.

https://www.google.co.uk/flights#flt...974*2.GBP.7974

Or a £99 day trip to DUS on Saturday:

https://www.google.co.uk/flights#flt...894*2.GBP.9894

Or an £89 day trip to FRA on Saturday:

https://www.google.co.uk/flights#flt...894*2.GBP.8894
Sam Bee likes this.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Apr 30, 2019 at 12:07 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Whilst I do not know about where you can go from there to get the specific product, you can go to LUX for £80 for the day on Sunday this weekend.

https://www.google.co.uk/flights#flt...974*2.GBP.7974

Or a £99 day trip to DUS on Saturday:

https://www.google.co.uk/flights#flt...894*2.GBP.9894

Or an £89 day trip to FRA on Saturday:

https://www.google.co.uk/flights#flt...894*2.GBP.8894
Thank you, that's really helpful. I was trying to work through my stock of Avois so an RFS redemption would be ideal but I'll look at cash. Just realised its a bank holiday so can extend to Monday, but that's not overly helpful as everyone is having a long weekend away. Assuming all pharmacies aren't shut!

Don't mind a bit of adventure, trains, exploring. I get cheap hotels so open to suggestions!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:18 pm

Thanks! maybe it's BA CANADA Website glitch, I tried few other routes also have same problem........last time I booked HKG-PVG, and BA website email receipt just give a total fees $54.94, without item detailed make me impossible to file get HK Departure tax returned, I twitter BA and just got this reply: Unfortunately due to system limitations, we are unable to re-send a duplicate receipt for the transaction you require, but can confirm the following:For ticket number ***_******** booked on 28 October 2018 you paid taxes, fees and charges of CAD54.94, making a total paid of CAD54.94 and used 15000 Avios.

Originally Posted by KARFA
The estimate on the bottom of the flight list page can sometimes be wrong - although not normally this much out! The accurate figure is usually shown on the next page showing the flight cost quote. You can always check taxes/fees/charges but looking at an equivalent cash booking on itamatrix.

Looking at your example itamatrix shows TFC for J CDG-DOH on QR is CAD$409.60 which seems to be your first figure. When looking at ba.com rewards for J CDG-DOH I get an estimate on the flight list page of 60000 avios + £235.50 and the same figure on the quote page. The TFC breakdown shows:
Old May 1, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: QF WP, SQ & VA Gold, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond + BA, AA, CX
Thanks - that was first place I looked, but if you translate to English (you may speak fluent German) then just above the price "We do not deliver to mainland Britain"
Superpep is Dimenhydrinate isn't it? Dramamine and Gravol have the same active ingredient: https://www.discounthealthproducts.c...mine-original/

Failing that, there's eBay sellers which will deliver Superpep to Australia, so maybe try there?

Not trying to discourage a trip to DE of course!
Sam Bee likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by guesswho2000
Superpep is Dimenhydrinate isn't it? Dramamine and Gravol have the same active ingredient: https://www.discounthealthproducts.c...mine-original/

Failing that, there's eBay sellers which will deliver Superpep to Australia, so maybe try there?

Not trying to discourage a trip to DE of course!
Superpep is Dimenhydrinate - but only Superpep is in chewing gum form. A couple of german tourists gave us some in Thailand when my daughter was sick on a ferry, and it was incredible. It's only the chewing gum form that has such an incredible impact for some reason, I have Dimenhydrinate in pill form.

Most likely option - currently into Dusseldorf and out of either Dusseldorf or Cologne on Eurowings. Just couldn't make Munich work. but may wait to see if more RFS availability opens up tomorrow? Flights aren't packed, but i'm not sure how these things work.
guesswho2000 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Superpep is Dimenhydrinate - but only Superpep is in chewing gum form. A couple of german tourists gave us some in Thailand when my daughter was sick on a ferry, and it was incredible. It's only the chewing gum form that has such an incredible impact for some reason, I have Dimenhydrinate in pill form.

Most likely option - currently into Dusseldorf and out of either Dusseldorf or Cologne on Eurowings. Just couldn't make Munich work. but may wait to see if more RFS availability opens up tomorrow? Flights aren't packed, but i'm not sure how these things work.
BSL, FRA or MUC look possible if you go Friday evening.
Sam Bee likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:13 am

Retroactive 2-4-1 Application?

Has anyone had any experience or luck retroactively applying a companion voucher and getting half the Avios back?

I will earn it in a few months but would love to secure the booking now for travel in about a 11 months.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Surgee
Has anyone had any experience or luck retroactively applying a companion voucher and getting half the Avios back?

I will earn it in a few months but would love to secure the booking now for travel in about a 11 months.

Thanks!
I think it’s highly unlikely. If you aren’t waiting for a new card year, you can always bring forward the voucher by buying fully flex tickets, and then refund them as you build up to the £10k genuinely.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:45 am

Just a little follow up for those who passed on their recommendations. Ended up doing a Sat-Sun from LCY to Dusseldorf, not a city i'd normally consider going to. But a nice place for a last minute adventure with an 8 year old. Got a good rate at the Radisson Blu, and had 2 lovely days. Incredibly easy city to get around (once you work out which tickets to buy - the lack of being able to buy from a human at the airport really made it difficult - especially for kids tickets). But a surprisingly green and lovely city (rabbits running around the city centre, flowers around the tram tracks, lots of parks and green space along the Rhine).

Had to use the rather wasted Avios on CE from LCY, but worked perfectly except for dull delay on board on return due Belgian ATC staff shortages.

All in all, and not for the first time, discovering European cities last minute, and on the basis of RFS availability is it's best use IMO (also KRK, BRU, GLA). Oh, and I got a decent stock of (with lots of pharmacy freebies - is this normal?!):

Old May 8, 2019, 7:11 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

...f (with lots of pharmacy freebies - is this normal?!):
Glad you enjoyed Düsseldorf - and yes, this is normal for German pharmacies (which they usually get for freefrom different pharma companies as well).

P.S. Sorry for off topic
Sam Bee likes this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; May 8, 2019 at 7:12 am Reason: spelling ... and grammar ... and ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.