Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Trying to upgrade the first sector (ABZ-LHR) of a MIA trip to CE and they are quoting me Ł94 increase in taxes and fees. It is an up-gradable booking class.
They say it's probably due to the the way the ticket has been set up with the next sector on American.

Does that seem correct?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by w3andw4d
Trying to upgrade the first sector (ABZ-LHR) of a MIA trip to CE and they are quoting me Ł94 increase in taxes and fees. It is an up-gradable booking class.
They say it's probably due to the the way the ticket has been set up with the next sector on American.

Does that seem correct?
is this an upgrade with avios? You can only do those on ba tickets so I am not sure why aa would have been setting anything up?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

is this an upgrade with avios? You can only do those on ba tickets so I am not sure why aa would have been setting anything up?
Yes, avios upgrade. BA ticket.
There is car hire and hotel attached to it. Previously, the difference in taxes was Ł13.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by w3andw4d
Yes, avios upgrade. BA ticket.
There is car hire and hotel attached to it. Previously, the difference in taxes was Ł13.
Ł13 sounds right for just the domestic flight.

Is it possible carrier surcharge across the whole booking? UuA is a recalculation across the whole booking so any general increase would be captured by that.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
My wife would like to visit Japan in April 2020.

I imagine Tokyo is nigh impossible for 2-4-1’s, so is there a potential alternative? I am keen on using the bullet trains.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by botham
My wife would like to visit Japan in April 2020.

I imagine Tokyo is nigh impossible for 2-4-1’s, so is there a potential alternative? I am keen on using the bullet trains.
I wouldn’t say any route is nigh impossible: two J seats will be there at 1am BST, T-355 - you can have to be the quickest to click through. Read the 241 thread if you aren’t clear on the (expanded) options for adding the inbound leg later.

KIX is the only alternative in combination with the train. PEK is typically easier to book, and worth mentioning as its in a closer band, saving you soon avios for the connection to Japan.
botham likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I cannot seem to find any place where it says the award chart for US-Mexico, does anyone know if it is the same as US-US? Looking specifically SEA-CUN on AS, and wondering if it is the same 12500 that an entirely US flight would be. It is about 2600 miles distance.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I cannot seem to find any place where it says the award chart for US-Mexico, does anyone know if it is the same as US-US? Looking specifically SEA-CUN on AS, and wondering if it is the same 12500 that an entirely US flight would be. It is about 2600 miles distance.
It is the same. If it is a SEA-CUN nonstop or direct (through) flight, it will price at 12,500 Avios one way in Economy. If connecting flights are required, you will be charged for each flight flown, based on each flight's distance, subject to a minimum of 7,500 Avios per flight for travel within North America.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976
It is the same. If it is a SEA-CUN nonstop or direct (through) flight, it will price at 12,500 Avios one way in Economy. If connecting flights are required, you will be charged for each flight flown, based on each flight's distance, subject to a minimum of 7,500 Avios per flight for travel within North America.
Great, thanks for the help. I thought that would be the case, but was not sure as every think I could find just said US flights, nothing about Mexico. I didn't want to call and go through all the hassle until it is time to book. AS is such a fantastic use of points a lot of times. I did not know that about direct flights, I have always just ruled them out. Gotta love flyertalk, learn something new every day.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Avios to IPC?

Has anyone succeeded in redeeming Avios to fly to Easter Island IPC? I could not find evidence of this after some searching around this forum.

IPC is a long term travel goal of mine, so I am very flexible on when and how to get there.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by transportprof
Has anyone succeeded in redeeming Avios to fly to Easter Island IPC? I could not find evidence of this after some searching around this forum.

IPC is a long term travel goal of mine, so I am very flexible on when and how to get there.
Finding award flights to IPC is difficult. Lots of demand for precious few flights/seats. That said a number of people have been successful using Avios or AAdvantage miles. Here are a few posts:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30846251-post15.html
LAN availability with Avios?
You might want to just purchase the SCL-IPC flights through LAN as the prices often can be reasonable.
LATAM SCL-IPC-PPT BA vs IB vs QF Reward Availability
Avios bookings for LATAM flights within South America: has anyone ever succeeded?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
I'm trying to wrap my head around upgrading with Avios. If I book CPH-LHR-DOH-SIN through Qatar Airways, with the CPH-LHR-DOH all on BA metal (but a QR.com booked ticket/QR fare), can I upgrade the BA components using Avios? And what about cash? Or is my only chance of doing so at the airport?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:11 am

message deleted

Last edited by hjd36; Apr 2, 2019 at 10:23 am
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by nearlyheadlessian
I'm trying to wrap my head around upgrading with Avios. If I book CPH-LHR-DOH-SIN through Qatar Airways, with the CPH-LHR-DOH all on BA metal (but a QR.com booked ticket/QR fare), can I upgrade the BA components using Avios? And what about cash? Or is my only chance of doing so at the airport?
In terms of upgrading with avios it needs to be a BA 125-... ticket, So if you book with QR you can't do it. See this summary.

Upgrading Using Avios (UuA) & Gold Upgrade Vouchers (GUF)
A quick note on doing UuAs is that you can do these for exEU itineraries (or you can apply a GUF if you have any). The following restrictions for UuAs apply though:

Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios:
  • BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
  • Tickets issued on non-BA stock
The rules have previously said that the TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well. However, apparently this is not enforced consistently so hopefully this shouldn't be an issue. See these two posts for more information on that point https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29280847-post33.html & https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29282377-post38.html

A BA Holiday booking (flights & hotel) is UuA'able and treated as a TA booking, so a booking including non BA flights could not be UuA'ed. Also a BA Holiday booking which was made using a TA can not be UuA'ed.

Note that even if booked direct with BA on a 125-... ticket you can't UuA BA marketed and AA operated flight. The BA flight must be both BA marketed and operated.

There is more information on UuA'ing TA bookings here.
nearlyheadlessian likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have an Amex 2 4 1 voucher to use.

Can it be used on an open jaw ticket. I am wanting to go from INV-LHR-INN and return SZG-LGW + LHR-INV

I know it can´t be done online but can it be done by calling the call centre

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.