Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Old Mar 14, 19, 8:01 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 942
Last time I booked an Avios flight domestically, I could get my Avios refunded if I cancelled more than 24 hours out (just losing the 5.60 TSA fee.) Does that still apply if I'm flying from the lower 48 to Hawaii with Avios. Some verbiage I ran into stated "
  • Time/date changes permitted up to 24 hours before your first flight, subject to availability, for a service fee.
  • You can cancel this booking at any time up to 24 hours before outbound departure and receive a full refund, minus a service fee.
Seems somewhat ambiguous, can I cancel more than 24 hours of advance and get all my avois back and pay no "service fee" (other than the $5.60 TSA fee)?
DeltaNeutral28 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:00 pm
  #92  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,458
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
Last time I booked an Avios flight domestically, I could get my Avios refunded if I cancelled more than 24 hours out (just losing the 5.60 TSA fee.) Does that still apply if I'm flying from the lower 48 to Hawaii with Avios. Some verbiage I ran into stated "
  • Time/date changes permitted up to 24 hours before your first flight, subject to availability, for a service fee.
  • You can cancel this booking at any time up to 24 hours before outbound departure and receive a full refund, minus a service fee.
Seems somewhat ambiguous, can I cancel more than 24 hours of advance and get all my avois back and pay no "service fee" (other than the $5.60 TSA fee)?
The rule is that a cancellation incurs either the standard service fee or forfeiture of whatever fees/taxes/carrier surcharges were collected when the redemption ticket was issued, whichever is less. (BA policy is not to make any additional collection when the cash paid for the redemption ticket is less than the cancellation fee.)

The fact that your destination is Hawaii does not change the foregoing.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 19, 5:38 am
  #93  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
This is a really helpful thread, but somewhat jargon heavy for me, And mind boggling complex to get my head around. I have saved up 80k Avios. I have a silver BA card, and I've never found it advantageous to use avios because the fixed £ fees are always more than booking the cheapest flight i can find on SkyScanner/Expedia. Also I live in Belfast so any long haul flight requires a feeder flight into LHR and that makes availability really limited.

It's all so complicated and as far as I can see for no saving. Am I just being dense, or is this whole scheme a waste of time? What am I missing?

More practically, I'd be really grateful if someone could explian this to me in really simple tems: Dublin down the road has really cheap departure tax. How can I book a flight with my collected Avios direct from Dublin on whatever airline is going the way I want to go?
andypag is offline  
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:28 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 942
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
The rule is that a cancellation incurs either the standard service fee or forfeiture of whatever fees/taxes/carrier surcharges were collected when the redemption ticket was issued, whichever is less. (BA policy is not to make any additional collection when the cash paid for the redemption ticket is less than the cancellation fee.)

The fact that your destination is Hawaii does not change the foregoing.
Thanks for info!
DeltaNeutral28 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 19, 9:58 am
  #95  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,458
Originally Posted by andypag View Post
This is a really helpful thread, but somewhat jargon heavy for me, And mind boggling complex to get my head around. I have saved up 80k Avios. I have a silver BA card, and I've never found it advantageous to use avios because the fixed £ fees are always more than booking the cheapest flight i can find on SkyScanner/Expedia. Also I live in Belfast so any long haul flight requires a feeder flight into LHR and that makes availability really limited.

It's all so complicated and as far as I can see for no saving. Am I just being dense, or is this whole scheme a waste of time? What am I missing?

More practically, I'd be really grateful if someone could explian this to me in really simple tems: Dublin down the road has really cheap departure tax. How can I book a flight with my collected Avios direct from Dublin on whatever airline is going the way I want to go?
Well, it's not just the departure taxes; it's also the carrier surcharges that BA collects on many routes and many partners.

You can't redeem your Avios on just any airline that flies out of DUB, only on BA partners. Fortunately, Aer Lingus is a BA partner, and I believe that there are still low carrier surcharges for Avios redemptions on Aer Lingus trans-Atlantic flights.

To book Aer Lingus with BA Avios, you must call a BAEC Service Centre.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:30 am
  #96  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: DL, WoH, UA, AA
Posts: 921
I am looking for an itinerary that shows milesaaver economy availability on AA's website as well as shows on expertflyer, qantas, iberia, and alaskas websites, but does not show on the BA website.

It's the 759pm flight from CLT-TPA on American AA2202. I've called 3 times now to BA and reps have given me the "AA has not released availability for this flight to us." Is it possible that all other partners have availability except BA? Is there any workaround?
ricohitman is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 5:38 pm
  #97  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,661
Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
I am looking for an itinerary that shows milesaaver economy availability on AA's website as well as shows on expertflyer, qantas, iberia, and alaskas websites, but does not show on the BA website.

It's the 759pm flight from CLT-TPA on American AA2202. I've called 3 times now to BA and reps have given me the "AA has not released availability for this flight to us." Is it possible that all other partners have availability except BA? Is there any workaround?
What day?
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:10 am
  #98  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South East England
Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
Posts: 515
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Well, it's not just the departure taxes; it's also the carrier surcharges that BA collects on many routes and many partners.

You can't redeem your Avios on just any airline that flies out of DUB, only on BA partners. Fortunately, Aer Lingus is a BA partner, and I believe that there are still low carrier surcharges for Avios redemptions on Aer Lingus trans-Atlantic flights.

To book Aer Lingus with BA Avios, you must call a BAEC Service Centre.
You can check availability and even book Aer Lingus online via Avios.com (you’ll need to create an EI account and transfer your points). But at least one blog advises against this as they claim calling BA to book reveals better availability and lower taxes/charges than booking through the official EI route!

memesweeper is offline  
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:29 am
  #99  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 58
Anyone know of spending avios for car rental? Can't search for it online - any place I can email BA to get a quote?
kumarshah is offline  
Old Mar 17, 19, 8:47 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: DL, WoH, UA, AA
Posts: 921
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post

What day?
12/14
ricohitman is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 1:25 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Avios
Posts: 2
anybody canceled a flight bought in promotion last year for 50% avios? it shows me a 100% refund of avios; they correct it?
lukasz666 is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 3:24 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 99
Does the 36-month Avios expiration clock get reset, if an award ticket is booked and then subsequently canceled with the Avios miles redeposited?
acinchus is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:03 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Posts: 549
I am trying to book an Avios + Money ticket in Y (need the ability to cancel or change the ticket) for Mrs Wilsnunn to go to KUL/SIN in the summer, I called the BA silver line to book the following:

LHR-KUL (BA)
SIN-DOH-LHR (QR then BA)

Unfortunately they couldn't price this over the phone (or online) the booking is showing in my wife's account but they said they will get back to me about the cost, any ideas about how long this can take? And will they be able to do Avios + Money or will it be a standard Avios + taxes/fares/etc only as I am trying to minimise my Avios spend as we are hoping to use them for a trip in F somewhere with a 2-4-1.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Mar 21, 19 at 5:13 am
wilsnunn is offline  
Old Mar 22, 19, 7:56 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Scotland
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by kumarshah View Post
Anyone know of spending avios for car rental? Can't search for it online - any place I can email BA to get a quote?
You can do it online
anniegray is offline  
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:45 am
  #105  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
I've got almost 80K Avios and an upgrade voucher and I'm trying to think what's the best way to spend them?

My plan was to book Premium Economy with Avios and upgrade to Business (if possible?). I think I'll end up paying £800 to Mexico City which is a good deal imo. I'm trying to go as far as possible so if you know of better alternatives please shout!
dreamline is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread