Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Old Jan 26, 19, 4:18 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post



In addition to Avios, you need to pay the differential in Government taxes and carrier charges.

So for example, let’s say you want to book a return from London to San Francisco, moving from World Traveller Plus to Club World. The basic fare is (say) £900 including taxes. Upgrading from World Traveller Plus to Club World. As this route distance falls into band 6, the upgrade cost will be 30,000 Avios for an off-peak date or 25,000 Avios for a peak date plus any upward adjustment in carrier charges.
Hi there seems to be an error in the table for the WT+ to CW column, The Peak and Off Peak numbers seem to have been swapped for some of the bands. Also repeated in the text (my bold).
mrandery is offline  
Old Jan 26, 19, 4:29 am
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 26,504
Originally Posted by mrandery View Post
Hi there seems to be an error in the table for the WT+ to CW column, The Peak and Off Peak numbers seem to have been swapped for some of the bands. Also repeated in the text (my bold).
That's correct. For band 6 the reward rates are

WTP
Off-peak - 32,500
Peak - 50,000

CW
Off-peak - 62,500
Peak - 75,000

The additional avios needed for a UuA is the difference between the reward rates for the cabin you are booked in and the one you want to upgrade to, so for WTP->CW it would be:

Off-peak - 62,500 minus 32,500 = 30,000
Peak - 75,000 minus 50,000 = 25,000

For some of the UuAs therefore you do get this situation where a peak UuA is fewer avios than an off-peak. It may seem somewhat counter-intuitive but it is correct.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jan 26, 19, 4:42 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 183
Thanks for that. I was confused about that. Tryying to do a UuA on a Band 6 flight right now.

Most helpful thread.
mrandery is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:49 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Flatland
Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Posts: 5,388
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
All flight redemptions are flexible, subject to availability, are valid for 12 months from the date of ticketing, and are pulled from specific inventory:
  • X class*: Economy
  • P class: Premium economy
  • U class†: Business
  • Z class: First

* When X class seats have been depleted, Gold members are given access to V class inventory
† UK Domestic redemptions are pulled from X and U class inventory. Note, if your domestic flight is in U class, it will still be economy class and there are no business class perks attached, such as lounge access or an additional baggage allowance (unless your ticket includes other flights in business or first)
Is this now slightly out of date? Now that UK Domestic is no more, and there is instead ET and CE on domestic flights, so I think the part with " if your domestic flight is in U class, it will still be economy class and there are no business class perks attached" isn't true any more - instead, a domestic CE reward from X inventory comes with the usual CE features of lounge, baggage, etc? If I'm not mistaken, would you (Prospero) mind editing the content a little?

Thanks!
flatlander is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 10:44 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,121
I'm flying to LA for work in PE in few weeks (end of February). I was hoping to upgrade my flight with Avios to C, but it looks like there's no availability for _weeks_ around my dates. Not a single seat.

Did I severely underestimate popularity of LAX-LHR and how fast direct C award seats disappear, or is there some glitch going on?
klausa is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 11:57 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Flatland
Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Posts: 5,388
It's a very status-heavy and premium-heavy route, and people with status who have a lot of Avios to spend on upgrading the fare that isn't a premium cabin (say, for example, because their workplace only pays for PE these days). Good luck.
flatlander is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:01 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,121
Makes sense. Thanks!
klausa is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:06 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
New poster here but long-time Avios user. I just ran into a potentially huge issue. We spend 600k avios for 4 nights at the Rosewood Phuket. Had to leave after one night due to medical emergency and flew back to NA only 20hrs after arrival. Hotel policy is one night penalty for cancellation but says since i booked with a "travel agency" i have to go through them. BAEC agent quoted me $8000 to get my 600k Avios redeposited. Any advice?
mike88m is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:19 pm
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 26,504
Originally Posted by mike88m View Post
New poster here but long-time Avios user. I just ran into a potentially huge issue. We spend 600k avios for 4 nights at the Rosewood Phuket. Had to leave after one night due to medical emergency and flew back to NA only 20hrs after arrival. Hotel policy is one night penalty for cancellation but says since i booked with a "travel agency" i have to go through them. BAEC agent quoted me $8000 to get my 600k Avios redeposited. Any advice?
welcome to ft!

if i do a dummy avios booking for this hotel these seems to be the conditions - which seem to show no refunds if cancelled beyond less than three days. is this the basis of your booking? I have no idea what the $8000 relates to, perhaps they are trying to quote for you to buy 600k avios? would your travel insurance cover any of this cost?

Avios Cancellation Policy:
Cancellations made within 3 days of Travel : No Refunds permitted
Cancellations made up to 3 days before travel : £35 administration fee + the Supplier Cancellation Fee as detailed below.

Suppier Cancellation Fee:
This reservation is non-refundable once booking is completed. Additional cancellation fees may apply.

Hotel supplied by Travelscape LLC
Travelscape LLC Terms and Conditions


(a) Cancellation Policy – The Customers agree that the accommodation booking made is subject to the cancellation policy set out in the booking page.
(b) Contracting Party – The Customer acknowledges and agrees that: (i) Travelscape, LLC is the supplier to the Customer in respect of any Hotel Room and (ii) that Avios is the supplier in respect of any other EAN Travel Products.
(c) Personal Data – The Customer agrees that Avios may transfer personal data belonging to the Customer and other persons on behalf of whom the Customer is making a booking of EAN Travel Products to EAN and/or its Corporate Affiliates for the purposes of facilitating the booking and providing after sales support (if any) of those EAN Travel Products.

View Travelscape LLC full T&C’s here

Cancellation Policy
This rate is non-refundable. If you choose to change or cancel this booking you will not be refunded any of the payment.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:23 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
welcome to ft!

if i do a dummy avios booking for this hotel these seems to be the conditions - which seem to show no refunds if cancelled beyond less than three days. is this the basis of your booking? I have no idea what the $8000 relates to, perhaps they are trying to quote for you to buy 600k avios? would your travel insurance cover any of this cost?
Since there was no cc used to book and it was all on points I'm not sure what travel insurance would apply
mike88m is offline  
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:30 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Posts: 171
Hi all

Looking at an avios redemption from MIA to SJU (San Juan, Puerto Rico). Lots of availability but its showing as a hand baggage only fare - no checked baggage... Which doesn't sound right. As BA's IT is not renowned for its accuracy, I thought I would check with the people that actually might know. I am Gold, although I could well only be Silver by the time of travel - I recall reading that the increased baggage allowance provided with status can not be utilised on a HBO fare?
Keep it Riel is offline  
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:12 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,501
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel View Post
Hi all

Looking at an avios redemption from MIA to SJU (San Juan, Puerto Rico). Lots of availability but its showing as a hand baggage only fare - no checked baggage... Which doesn't sound right. As BA's IT is not renowned for its accuracy, I thought I would check with the people that actually might know. I am Gold, although I could well only be Silver by the time of travel - I recall reading that the increased baggage allowance provided with status can not be utilised on a HBO fare?
That is correct however Avios redemptions aren't HBO so will always include baggage.

Edit: for BA. For AA if you have elite status then bags are fee regardless of whether it's "basic economy" or not, so you should be fine.
flashware is offline  
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:59 am
  #43  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,458
Originally Posted by flashware View Post
That is correct however Avios redemptions aren't HBO so will always include baggage.

Edit: for BA. For AA if you have elite status then bags are fee regardless of whether it's "basic economy" or not, so you should be fine.
Correct. But it's worth pointing out that Avios redemptions for Economy Class on AA book into regular Economy, not Basic Economy. However, on domestic (U.S.) and some international routes, AA regular Economy fares do not include a checked-bag allowance. Passengers with oneworld status will still be able to check one or more bags for free on those flights, and can select "Main Cabin Extra" (extra legroom) seats without charge (Emerald and Sapphire at time of booking; Ruby at 24 hours before scheduled departure time).
guv1976 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 19, 11:52 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Correct. But it's worth pointing out that Avios redemptions for Economy Class on AA book into regular Economy, not Basic Economy. However, on domestic (U.S.) and some international routes, AA regular Economy fares do not include a checked-bag allowance. Passengers with oneworld status will still be able to check one or more bags for free on those flights, and can select "Main Cabin Extra" (extra legroom) seats without charge (Emerald and Sapphire at time of booking; Ruby at 24 hours before scheduled departure time).
Thanks
Keep it Riel is offline  
Old Feb 4, 19, 4:41 am
  #45  
Formerly known as pmcgurk
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Essex, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Posts: 546
I hope this question isn't too OT for this thread.. but I am seriously hacked off with the awful availability of reward seats in F to LAX. I know there are no guarantees... but it seems to me that even a day or two before travel, with revenue seats still being sold, there is zero avios availability. I am trying to get 2 seats for a special birthday trip (next year but will be booking this year as soon as it opens up). I've been advised to book in J and keep trying, which I will do, but I was wondering if anyone had any anecdotal evidence of reward seats in F opening up last-minute? Or will they "fly air" as others put it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

OB
OxfordBlue is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread