Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:57 am
Suspended

Just to warn some people with the current offer of lower Avios.

I got quoted 35,000 for an upgrade from WT+ to CW on the website.
Did it over the phone instead and it was 31,500 due to the current 10% off J upgrades.

So deffo do it over the telephone
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by demolineux
Just to warn some people with the current offer of lower Avios.

I got quoted 35,000 for an upgrade from WT+ to CW on the website.
Did it over the phone instead and it was 31,500 due to the current 10% off J upgrades.

So deffo do it over the telephone
Got charged the regular Avios just hours ago because the agent over the phone couldn't figure out how to apply the current 10% off. But I needed to snag the reward seat so took it anyway. Any chance BA will refund the difference if asked?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
Just saved 6000 avios on a WT+ to CW one way upgrade for two to PKX which i was very happy with. Can i now ring back
and ask to upgrade the CW to F with additional avois? There are 3 seats currently available. I know you can only upgrade one cabin at a time!
sorry couldn't find the answer here.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ATCOlad
Just saved 6000 avios on a WT+ to CW one way upgrade for two to PKX which i was very happy with. Can i now ring back
and ask to upgrade the CW to F with additional avois? There are 3 seats currently available. I know you can only upgrade one cabin at a time!
sorry couldn't find the answer here.
If you UuA'ed a WTP cash fare to CW then you can't UuA again up to F. It's one cabin maximum.
ATCOlad likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: *A
Currently have a 2 for 1 booked, and am debating canceling to save on the miles (similar flights available). However, when I played around with changing the dates online, the system was showing a net refund. Is this because taxes have gone down over the past few months? LHR CPT, Y outbound, F inbound. Is there anyway to get the refund with preserving the current itin, or is a change necessary?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:47 am

Can i upgrade my dad's avios redemption from J to F?

He doesn't have enough avios for the upgrade and I do.

We are not in a household account together, but same address and surname.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by shadowline
Can i upgrade my dad's avios redemption from J to F?

He doesn't have enough avios for the upgrade and I do.

We are not in a household account together, but same address and surname.
If your father already has an avios redemption then technically you are not upgrading that redemption but cancelling and rebooking a new redemption in the higher class. You will run into problems trying to book an avios redemption from two different BAEC accounts that are not part of a HHA. Do you have enough avios in your account to do the complete F redemption? If not, in theory you could transfer avios to your father or you could crate an HHA.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Nov 10, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:54 am

Cancel reward seats, they become available again?

If I cancel a UaU reward seat, will that seat show up again as available as a reward?

We have a return journey in 6 weeks where we paid for 4 of us to return in WT+ (great price), plus there was 2 reward seats available in CW, so I took these for my wife and one of my sons (me and his twin will be in WT+). But have realised since that it seems kids in CW will be much cheaper than adults for paid tickets, so thinking if it is possible to cancel the sons reward seat, then take it myself, and pay for the boys to upgrade to CW? Obviously a lot of jiggery pokery, was hoping more CW reward sets come available but there has been nothing coming up for any dates in the last month or so.

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by jnoono
If I cancel a UaU reward seat, will that seat show up again as available as a reward?

We have a return journey in 6 weeks where we paid for 4 of us to return in WT+ (great price), plus there was 2 reward seats available in CW, so I took these for my wife and one of my sons (me and his twin will be in WT+). But have realised since that it seems kids in CW will be much cheaper than adults for paid tickets, so thinking if it is possible to cancel the sons reward seat, then take it myself, and pay for the boys to upgrade to CW? Obviously a lot of jiggery pokery, was hoping more CW reward sets come available but there has been nothing coming up for any dates in the last month or so.

Thanks!
For what I know there is no guarantee that a cancelled reward seat will be available again.
Too much of a gamble for my taste
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hello,

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong thread. But has anyone else had the following notice when they try and part pay with Avios?

"Sorry, we are unable to show you any Avios price options at this time. You can continue with your booking but won't be able to use your Avios towards the cost."

I have tried over the past two days. Is it something to do with the current 50% off redemptions promotion thing?

Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:13 pm

Fees for AKL - WAS on AA metal?

I searched here, but haven't found the answer: what can I expect for fees on a coach ticket from AKL to WAS? I had to call, as it was not showing as available on the website. All good, got the flights reserved but they could not give me the fees :confused. It is on hold for now, until I confirm after learning what the fees will be.They said to call back in 48 hours. Since this is a last minute trip, that won't work too well if it turns out to be expensive. In that case, I will burn United or (NOOO!!) American. Any recent experience or insight?

And, thanks for your patience!!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Avios Redemption In One World First Cabins

Does BA ever let BAEC member redeem reward tickets on other airline like Cathay or JAL? I currently have 1.4M in Avios plus 2 GU vouchers on my account. I would like to use the Avios in long haul first class on other airlines as I would like to bypass Heathrow.. Unfortunately even 1 year out, there never seems to be any availability. Any ideas? My travel dates and destination are always inflexible as I am typically ticketed in First on domestic and international travel upgrades are not applicable.

The above coupled with the frustration on navigating Heathrow an declining BA First product has made me decide not to go for Gold in 2022 as I have already qualified for Gold through March 2021. However, If at all possible I would like to use the Avios on other airlines. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Trixietrader
Does BA ever let BAEC member redeem reward tickets on other airline like Cathay or JAL? I currently have 1.4M in Avios plus 2 GU vouchers on my account. I would like to use the Avios in long haul first class on other airlines as I would like to bypass Heathrow.. Unfortunately even 1 year out, there never seems to be any availability. Any ideas? My travel dates and destination are always inflexible as I am typically ticketed in First on domestic and international travel upgrades are not applicable.

The above coupled with the frustration on navigating Heathrow an declining BA First product has made me decide not to go for Gold in 2022 as I have already qualified for Gold through March 2021. However, If at all possible I would like to use the Avios on other airlines. Does anyone have any suggestions?
BA lets BAEC members redeem Avios for First Class award seats on oneworld carriers whenever those carriers make First Class award seats available to partners. Those other carriers do not necessarily make First Class award seats available a year in advance. Some carriers might make those award seats available one week in advance rather than 355 days in advance. And AA, for example, does not begin to make any award seats available to partners or to its own program's members until 331 days before departure date; and AA does not necessarily release its "MileSAAver" award seats (the only type that AA makes available to partners) on particular flights at 331 days before departure.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 14, 2019 at 9:19 am
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:09 pm

I have used BA on Cathay (F) and American (J). Two things, however: 1) I had to call both times and 2) it was close-in.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question Lhr to Osl in CE using Avios

Just got a quote for the above and for two return tickets BA.com quotes 71,000 Avios plus Ł2 tax. Both dates are off peak as early March 2020. In the WIKI the redemption table
says 12,750 one way which would mean 25,500 round trip and therefore 51,000 for two tickets . Why is it not in accordance with the Standard Redemption tables?. Have they changed ?.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.