Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold, M&M FQT
Thanks for your help guys. Sometimes there is a first flight from HKG to TPE, but I could not find a pattern. I'm trying to find something in June, but I think I'll go in business as getting two seats booked in first on my dates seems to be close to impossible...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:58 am

Couldn't really find a thread to use for this subject, and didn't want to create a new one.

Does anyone know if Lloyds Avios Upgrade vouchers can be used to upgrade revenue tickets, or is it only for reward tickets?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Couldn't really find a thread to use for this subject, and didn't want to create a new one.

Does anyone know if Lloyds Avios Upgrade vouchers can be used to upgrade revenue tickets, or is it only for reward tickets?
Reward only.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:31 am

Cheers. That's a couple of those that'll be going to waste then!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Cheers. That's a couple of those that'll be going to waste then!
You could use them to book the positioning flights (CE for ET cost) for your ex-INV flights
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:08 am

If I got the tier points for them I would.

Stupid world. lol
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by zen100
Does anyone know if this functionality is available in ExpertFlyer.
Yes it is. You need a premium subscription but it will allow you to search for reward availability in different fare classes (so Z for First or U for Club World) on specific flight numbers and on specific dates. If there is no availability on your chosen date right now you can set up an alert to email you when (and if) it is released sometime in the future.

A premium subscription is $9.99 per month or $99.99 for 12 months
zen100 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by grantsteve
Yes it is. You need a premium subscription but it will allow you to search for reward availability in different fare classes (so Z for First or U for Club World) on specific flight numbers and on specific dates. If there is no availability on your chosen date right now you can set up an alert to email you when (and if) it is released sometime in the future.

A premium subscription is $9.99 per month or $99.99 for 12 months
Thanks. I rushed to get one of the INV-LAS deals last week, but had to book on AA to make the midnight deadline, so no Avios upgrade possible. I'll bear this in mind for the future though. Thanks.
grantsteve likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Good Afternoon, I am flying LHR-JFK on 16th Jan on AA107 booked direct with BA under flight BA1510 - I have booked PE - is the UuA rate calculated as the BA rate or AA? If AA then the chart doesn't show the requirements for PE-J? Anyone with advice?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bagman55
Good Afternoon, I am flying LHR-JFK on 16th Jan on AA107 booked direct with BA under flight BA1510 - I have booked PE - is the UuA rate calculated as the BA rate or AA? If AA then the chart doesn't show the requirements for PE-J? Anyone with advice?
As I understand it you can't UuA a BA marketed & AA operated flight. It needs to be BA marketed & operated.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Hi. I am trying to get back from Sydney to London in business and I am thinking of using Avios. I have plenty as I find them so difficult to spend! The dates I am looking at are very busy and the best option I can see is SYD (QF) MEL (JAL) NRT (AY) HEL (AY) LHR. I've checked with AAdvantage and the taxes for that journey would be A$140.47 (say £80). I haven't yet checked with BA, but if I split the journey into two, online I get £169 in taxes and surcharges for SYD - MEL - NRT and £129 for NRT - HEL - LHR, so just under £300 per person or nearly four times as much. I assume that wouldn't be far adrift of the cost of the combined flight (am I wrong?). For now, I am not so worried about the Avios required as I would probably turn this into a multi-partner award (and so add more flights).

I was under the impression that BA charged huge surcharges for its own, AA and Iberia flights but lesser sums on other carriers. Seems I was wrong. Can anyone help with guidance as to which partners BA charge don't charge surcharges on, charge modest surcharges and charge high surcharges - or point me to where I might find this information. Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:48 am

Just a quick question re: Avios+Money cancellation. If I book a ticket that say is 11000 avios + $120, plus $25 in taxes/fees, and I have to cancel it, with the $55 cancellation fee factored in, will I get a full refund of the 11000 avios + $120 and just forfeit the taxes/fees? Or would I only get $90 back since the full cash component is $145 altogether minus the $55 cx fee?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Just a quick question re: Avios+Money cancellation. If I book a ticket that say is 11000 avios + $120, plus $25 in taxes/fees, and I have to cancel it, with the $55 cancellation fee factored in, will I get a full refund of the 11000 avios + $120 and just forfeit the taxes/fees? Or would I only get $90 back since the full cash component is $145 altogether minus the $55 cx fee?
for reward bookings where you pay extra cash to reduce the avios you actually would get two credits back to your card, one is the taxesfees/charges which is $25 in this case, and the other for the extra cash, so $120.

It seems BA can only debit the $55 cancellation fee from the TFC amount and not the extra cash amount so I would expect you will not get any of the $25 back, but the difference will not be taken from the $120 and you should get that back. Avios will be refunded in full too.

this is all subject to you cancelling more than 24 hours before the first flight of course.
flashware likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:00 am

That's perfect, thanks for clarifying.

For those of use that are relatively avios poor, this seems like a fantastic way to extend the life and value of avios since you can buy them at 1.3cpp easily using this method, and I value my UR and MR points significantly more than that.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
Quick question on price payable for an Avios 2-4-1 booking. According to BA, it would be:

LHR-AUH-LHR in F = £1,137 for 2 adults and one lap child.
EDI-LHR-AUH-LHR-EDI = £1,568 for 2 adults and one lap child.

£430 of a difference to add the EDI legs on. Am I right in suspecting something isn't right? The BA booking tool has been very temperamental, refusing to show dates that I know there is availability for (then shows after I re-run the query).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.