Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bluegreen2
Apologies for cutting in here. Please can someone correct me if I'm wrong with regards to avios upgrades:
  1. I check that there is reward availability on the days I wish to travel
  2. If yes, I then purchase my flight on BA.com in the cabin below the one I wish to travel in
  3. Then I upgrade using my avios (online?)
If you know that there is award availability on your desired flights, the simplest route is actually to do it online in one go by using the Book flights with Avios page and using the "Book and upgrade" tab. If it works, then everything will be sorted out in one transaction.

However, if you do this, then I would advise that before you book, you price a straight (non-upgrade) cash fare in the cabin for which you wish to pay (the lower cabin). Only then use the Book and upgrade function. If that throws up a fare that is substantially more than the cash fare you first got, then you have hit a known bug and you shouldn't proceed further with this method.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:52 am

Ok, thanks.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
JER-LGW-TPA one-way in CW has taxes of Ł249
LGW-TPA one-way in CW has taxes of Ł414

On attempting to book an award by phone for JER-LGW-TPA where JER-LGW is only available as WT but LGW-TPA is as available as CW, they told me that the total taxes would be Ł420 - is that right? Thanks
Old May 22, 2019, 12:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888

On attempting to book an award by phone for JER-LGW-TPA where JER-LGW is only available as WT but LGW-TPA is as available as CW, they told me that the total taxes would be Ł420 - is that right? Thanks
No it doesn’t sound right. What do you get if you price it on ba.com?
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888

There may be a glitch in their calculation because of the mixed classes but you should escape the APD if you are continuing in under 24 hours even if it was on separate tickets and I would assume any levies on the JER-LGW leg would be lower in WT so the total should come out lower than Ł249.
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mict
Is anyone having issues booking AA reward flights?

I get "Sorry, we have been unable to complete your transaction at this time." after I submit my credit card details.
YES!

I also tried paying by PayPal too, just in case. Same 'sorry' error.

Of course, the call center is also closed today (Holiday) and I transferred 62k UR Chase points for this! I HOPE the flight doesn't sell out, or isn't available for some reason. I only transferred them due to the 30% Avios bonus with UR transfers and I triple checked the flight availability before transferring! Now I transferred,, go thru checkout and get "Sorry, we have been unable to complete your transaction at this time." Call center reopens at 730am tomorrow. I HOPE they can purchase this flight for me or I'm out 62k UR points
Old May 28, 2019, 6:03 am

Complete scam.

I should've known something was up when UR was offering 30% Avios bonus. They don't just do that.

I called and was told that even tho the website is showing availability, it's not actual availability.what does that even mean? Executive Club not really helpful, they can't give me back my UR points or book the flight.

Now, I can't even book with United (My original plan) since my points are with BA. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Submitting a BBB complaint, we'll see if they do anything, doubt it.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
Complete scam.

I should've known something was up when UR was offering 30% Avios bonus. They don't just do that.

I called and was told that even tho the website is showing availability, it's not actual availability.what does that even mean? Executive Club not really helpful, they can't give me back my UR points or book the flight.

Now, I can't even book with United (My original plan) since my points are with BA. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Submitting a BBB complaint, we'll see if they do anything, doubt it.
what are you trying to book? Is ba.com showing reward availability for the flight?
Old May 28, 2019, 6:52 am

yes, BA.com is showing reward availability.

9/26/19 EWR to RENO, 2 pax, first class.

once going thru checkout and entering credit card info for the $11.20, I get: "Sorry, we have been unable to complete your transaction at this time." I just called BA and they're saying the site is incorrectly showing availability. complete scam.

Old May 28, 2019, 6:56 am

Have you cross checked with what aa.com is showing?
Old May 28, 2019, 7:06 am

AA.com shows paid and 45k mile seats available.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:09 am

what type of reward does it show? Does it show milessaaver availability? If so it should be bookable. Unfortunately if it’s not working online you will just have to call to do it.

btw paid seating availability is not relevant.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I just called BA and they're saying the site is incorrectly showing availability. complete scam.
If AA is showing 45,000 mile seats available, those cannot be booked through BA using Avios. AFAIK, awards at that level can only be booked using AA miles.

The problem here is that AA is using married sector availability. From what I can see, EWR-DFW booked on its own has 2 saver seats available, and DFW-RNO booked on its own has 3 saver seats. If you ask AA for EWR-DFW-RNO, there is no availability. That is probably why AA refuses to confirm your reservation, even though it's showing BA that there are available seats at that price level.

The AA website itself says that there are no available seats at the required price level.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:43 am

If I book the first segment with Avios, EWR to DFW, and then the 2nd segment either with cash or Avios, can AA merge the reservation together so I don’t need to check in again for the 2nd leg?
Old May 28, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: BA
this question isn't really specific to BA i guess, but how are flight cancellations handled when you book with Avios for a flight on a partner airline like AA?

ORD-LGA nonstop in business class (15k Avios) was cancelled due to weather. they wanted to put me on an economy flight the next day. Would I contact BA and get a refund of the Avios difference? or is it a "tough luck" situation? or does the operating airline provide compensation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.