Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

F downgrade on GUF via TA ticket - rights and expectations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F downgrade on GUF via TA ticket - rights and expectations?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Ticket was about £1500 total pp (like I say, great value for J purchase AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK-HKG-LHR-AMS). Thus the LHR-SIN leg (F using GUF), at 75% value, won't be a huge sum. But even if it's £100pp, I'm still due it.

Expenses were very simple: taxi from AMS to the hotel (that BA provided) and then 2x receipts for tea/beer/dinner. About £40. Not much. Totally ignored in my claim, not even addressed!

Late arrival won't apply as we ended up in BKK about 4hrs earlier than planned. That was one upside of it all I s'pose.

SIN hotel I'll try and get reimbursement from travel insurance. Separate issue there, which I've not mentioned to BA as it's not liable.
​​​​
Surely the F>J downgraded sector is worth more than £100?

The reinstatement of the voucher and a few k Avios would probably satisfy me, annoying as it is.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Will100

Surely the F>J downgraded sector is worth more than £100?

The reinstatement of the voucher and a few k Avios would probably satisfy me, annoying as it is.
I don't think that he believes it would only be GBP100 - just that he would want it even if it was only GBP100; at GBP1500 r/t , could be at least GBP500

I find it surprising that people would be satisfied with BA not meeting its obligations ? The airline should be reimbursing within 7 days - not playing some game to see whether it can con passengers into not getting reimbursed
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't think that he believes it would only be GBP100 - just that he would want it even if it was only GBP100; at GBP1500 r/t , could be at least GBP500

I find it surprising that people would be satisfied with BA not meeting its obligations ? The airline should be reimbursing within 7 days - not playing some game to see whether it can con passengers into not getting reimbursed
Well, I hope the value is as high as it possibly can be. Not looking for a handout, just what's owed as refund entitlement. Whether that's £100, 200, 500. It'll be twice as it's for two passengers on the one ticket.

Frankly it's money that BA will potentially see again on a future trip as we'll be booking Chicago this year. Although might force creative routing and AA/AY as a result of this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:22 pm

Well, I hope the value is as high as it possibly can be. Not looking for a handout, just what's owed as refund entitlement. Whether that's £100, 200, 500. It'll be twice as it's for two passengers on the one ticket.

Frankly it's money that BA will potentially see again on a future trip as we'll be booking Chicago this year. Although might force creative routing and AA/AY as a result of this.
As long as both were paid tickets, then indeed, will be 2 lots ; How much of the original journey was in 1st class? Was SIN-BKK in 1st or business?

Looks like AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK has GBP65.70 in taxes with the BKK-HKG-LHR-AMS being GBP64.62
If just downgraded for LHR-SIN part of journey, then the percentage downgraded ( if not rerouted ) would have been 86% of journey.
For a r/t fare of GBP1500 , assuming same value in both directions, then the fare excl tax is about GBP1370
one way comes at GBP685
85% of that is GBP589
75% of that is GBP441

which is the sort of amount I would expect it to be

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 31, 2018 at 10:31 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

As long as both were paid tickets, then indeed, will be 2 lots ; How much of the original journey was in 1st class? Was SIN-BKK in 1st or business?

Looks like AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK has GBP65.70 in taxes
Paid business ticket the whole way. Only BA metal was GUFd into First (LHR-SIN and HKG-LHR), the rest was CX metal in business... Although the substituted KL flight from AMS disrupted some of that, of course.

Completing itinerary today and tomorrow, will begin re-raising issues again after... Although I'm in the States for a week from Sat 5th which gets in the way a bit.

Cheers!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Looks like AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK has GBP65.70 in taxes with the BKK-HKG-LHR-AMS being GBP64.62
If just downgraded for LHR-SIN part of journey, then the percentage downgraded ( if not rerouted ) would have been 86% of journey.
For a r/t fare of GBP1500 , assuming same value in both directions, then the fare excl tax is about GBP1370
one way comes at GBP685
85% of that is GBP589
75% of that is GBP441

which is the sort of amount I would expect it to be
OK, so in the ballpark of £882 for the two of us. Seems fair, given what a J-F upgrade would be.

Thanks for this information. It's very helpful.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:36 pm

OK, so in the ballpark of £882 for the two of us. Seems fair, given what a J-F upgrade would be.

Thanks for this information. It's very helpful.
If you both booked fare at same price and both used upgrade vouchers to get to 1st class, then indeed would expect around double
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
The ticket was AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK / BKK-HKG-LHR-AMS.

As the first flight in the sequence was cancelled, getting to SIN was no longer a possibility as it would have resulted in also then missing the SIN-BKK flight as a knock-on. Plus we'd have no accommodation for the former. Ultimately was no option.

There was F tickets available from AMS-BKK on Emirates via DXB, Lufthansa via FRA and Thai Airways. However none was offered as bookable. I have screengrabs of what was still showing as available and, therefore, BA's resistance to buying a suitable F ticket.

As the itinerary wasn't hugely pricey compared to what it could have been I'm not expecting a large sum in return. Frankly, it's more the principle and the awful cut-and-paste reply received from BA. It's unacceptable to me.

Thanks all for input and happy 2019... It's a pain I'll need to waste time pursuing this, but pursue I shall!
It is a reroute not downgrade to get you to final outbound destination (BKK) on time, and in process avoid 2x EC261 600euro payments. On a reroute the airline will place you on a non-stop, and AMS-BKK only has KLM and EVA, neither having F.

So BA if rerouting your AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK (as next AMS-LHR flight causes missing LHR-SIN) as to get you to BKK, that is not a downgrade of your original route/ticketing, but a total reroute. It is only fair that BA is allowed to book you a direct flight AMS-BKK to avoid any indirect 1-2 stop routing making BA liable for 2x 600euro EC261 payments.

As such is not a BA refusal to book you AMS-BKK in F, neither is it BA's fault (or problem) that only direct flight is operated by KLM and there is no F on KLM metal. Thai Air do not fly AMS-BKK route, and even the Europe-BKK routes Thai fly are J only (though sometimes plane used has F and their elites get upped seats ).

BA could not even give you different BA flights AMS-LHR/LHR-BKK in F as BA LHR-BKK is a J only flight, though BA could have done that rather than pay $$$ to another carrier and a non-OneWorld partner to boot. I'd rather KLM J AMS-BKK than BA J AMS-LHR/LHR-BKK (Though ThaiAir direct LHR-BKK has F , very unlikely to be offered as non-OW partner)

o You should claim+get the EC261 %age for F->J downgrade based on prorata distance on LHR-SIN leg of AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK , on only part cost though of outbound part of your J ticket cost (minus taxes), which in effect covers loss of GUF upgrade on outbound. Once you knock off taxes, divide by two, prorate for distance, then only claim EC261 %age of that low figure, you might feel rather disapointed..
o You probably also need to claim ORC TPs/Avios .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.