Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upcoming delay in Nassau - some advice please?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi All,

I'm due to fly Nassau-Heathrow on BA tomorrow (31 December) and my BA app states the flight is delayed by 4 hours.

The flight arrived today into Grand Cayman at 23.20 (due 19.15). This means it will be sitting in the airport most of the day tomorrow... so why do you think the flight is delayed? I assume it will be a different crew so is crew rest time ruled out?

BA can't put me on another flight/route unless the flight is 5 hours delayed so I plan to wait until tomorrow morning and see if there is any news. So far, no email from BA.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA: Silver. OneWorld: Sapphire
G-YMMA just left EZE with a five-hour delay, methinks that’s the aircraft you’ll be planned on. Due into LHR approx 1045.

Sit back and enjoy the LPGS and the EU261.
firstclasslad likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
Hi All,

I'm due to fly Nassau-Heathrow on BA tomorrow (31 December) and my BA app states the flight is delayed by 4 hours.

The flight arrived today into Grand Cayman at 23.20 (due 19.15). This means it will be sitting in the airport most of the day tomorrow... so why do you think the flight is delayed? I assume it will be a different crew so is crew rest time ruled out?

BA can't put me on another flight/route unless the flight is 5 hours delayed so I plan to wait until tomorrow morning and see if there is any news. So far, no email from BA.
The aircraft that arrived today left today and is flying back to LHR overnight tonight. Your aircraft for to,orrow is leaving LHR at around 2pm instead of 9.30am hence the late arrival into Nassau and late round trip. A new aircraft might be used so delay might reduce otherwise as per BA app, check in ontime unless told otherwise. If you are on a BA holiday then call the duty office to see if they can rebook via Miami with AA.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA "can't"? Rather, BA won't.

While BA is not obligated to rebook, it might do so as it might mean no EC 261/2004 compensation.

Otherwise, keep checking the app and do not delay your arrival time at NAS unless BA advises that you may do so. A bit of time made up into LHR, a quicker turnaround, and some favorable winds enroute NAS and that delay might drop by quite a bit.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Hi All,

Also due to fly out tomorrow on the 252 from GCM - indeed no comms from BA at all thus far. Good thing CheckMyTrip alerted me this afternoon.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Fingers crossed they swap in another B772 to get things back on schedule.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Lawro
Also due to fly out tomorrow on the 252 from GCM - indeed no comms from BA at all thus far. Good thing CheckMyTrip alerted me this afternoon.
And you'll still need to get to the airport at the usual time (unless you hear differently from BA).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
And you'll still need to get to the airport at the usual time (unless you hear differently from BA).
That’s not entirely correct: unless you are at an airport with a conformance cut-off, or there is a chance for the aircraft to be substituted at very short notice, there is no need to get to the airport at the scheduled time. This means no worries at most outstations.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The flight is awaiting the first available aircraft so hopefully the delay will be reduced.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

That’s not entirely correct: unless you are at an airport with a conformance cut-off, or there is a chance for the aircraft to be substituted at very short notice, there is no need to get to the airport at the scheduled time. This means no worries at most outstations.
At out posts BA might only have check in available for the 3 hours before scheduled time of departure and if a flight is 4 hours late they won’t always have check in open if you arrive 2 hours before the new time of departure. This is why the advise is please always turn up at the normal time unless BA contact you, Always be guided by BA and if you have a lengthy delay you can always pop offsite to a nearby hotel or restaurant once you have checked in.

Im current,y in Galleries First and the new departure for the flight out of LHR is 1400.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think that the flight will be around 2 hours delayed and hopefully less so into LHR.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:09 am

Just been announced in Galleries First further delay to 1500 on the outbound BA253.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Wow - thanks for all the replies guys!

I've been no motoring this on my BA app, the departure times have been fluctuating like a yo yo.

At the moment it's just over 3 hrs delayed. I'll arrive at airport on time.

Thanks again and hopefully things will work out. My travel buddy is flying on BA straight after to Rome on a separate ticket (.. I know, bad luck for him) which he'll miss. I'm Good so at least there will be some lounge access at Nassau, but I think it closes early tonight (Murphey's law).
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:31 pm

Looking at flight statuses on various sites, looks like BA has contracted Cayman Airways to operate the GCM tag in reverse, meaning that GCM-NAS-LHR passengers will be pretty much on schedule (the 777 turning round at Nassau).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Wow - thanks for all the replies guys!

I've been no motoring this on my BA app, the departure times have been fluctuating like a yo yo.

At the moment it's just over 3 hrs delayed. I'll arrive at airport on time.

Thanks again and hopefully things will work out. My travel buddy is flying on BA straight after to Rome on a separate ticket (.. I know, bad luck for him) which he'll miss. I'm Good so at least there will be some lounge access at Nassau, but I think it closes early tonight (Murphey's law).
Not sure if it’s too late for you, but I used to be a regular ex-NAS and my routine was this: drop bags as early as possible and then head to Compass Point for drinks and a bite to eat. If there was a delay you could track the a/c inbound and the BA station manager was usually contactable on their mobile.

If feeling particularly daring, you wait until you can see the BA a/c on its short finals (assuming an approach from the north) and then go hell for leather back to the airport. Not really to be recommended tbh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.