Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday Times; 2019 exciting year for BA says Cruz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sunday Times; 2019 exciting year for BA says Cruz

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Regarding 10 abreast on the 77x's, not a design expert or anything, but how feasible is it doing 10 abreast throughout the majority of the cabin and 9 abreast in some part, perhaps offering these seats for money or for status PAX. Just a thought, but I'm sure there will be some good reason why it couldn't actually be in done in practice.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TTmex
Regarding 10 abreast on the 77x's, not a design expert or anything, but how feasible is it doing 10 abreast throughout the majority of the cabin and 9 abreast in some part, perhaps offering these seats for money or for status PAX. Just a thought, but I'm sure there will be some good reason why it couldn't actually be in done in practice.
How about 10 abreast part from some 8 abreast rows, where you can pay for a bit for space and slightly better service? You could call it Economy Plus maybe?

I'm surprised nobody has thought of this already!
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I very much doubt I'd book with a certain airline just for a free cup of joe.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As far as I know, the 777X will have a wider cabin than the current 777 to better accommodate the 10 abreast.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Premium economy is a step up from what I was thinking. Was more thinking just main cabin but with slightly more space. Kind of thing you'd pay an extra 50 quid for, not 250
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Premium economy is a step up from what I was thinking. Was more thinking just main cabin but with slightly more space. Kind of thing you'd pay an extra 50 quid for, not 250
Basically the United Economy Plus / Delta Comfort+ / AA Main Cabin Extra model - economy seat and amenities but 3-4 inches of extra legroom. As someone 6'2", always appreciate this on an economy fare, and it's one reason I tend to prefer AA over BA to the States in economy. (And worth noting that it is complementary for flyers with preferred status on these airlines, too.)

Nice thoughts from Cruz, but I'd like to see much more and better. Improve the EuroTraveller drinks/food sitaution and ClubWorld seats, as many others have said. Significant improvements to lounges (cleaner, nicer, better food offerings - and deal with some real duds, like O'Hare). Wifi.

Perhaps the one that irks me the most is ClubEurope. Pretty much a pointless product for many flights, with the terrible seat pitch, a cold meal quickly tossed on your tray table. I'd revamp this to make it a much better experience...or restore things taken away in recent years.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Thank you for posting. however, I don’t see any “revolutionary, ahead of its competition”changes, so doubt BA will jump to a much higher place in Skytrax rating.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DC Mike
Perhaps the one that irks me the most is ClubEurope. Pretty much a pointless product for many flights, with the terrible seat pitch, a cold meal quickly tossed on your tray table. I'd revamp this to make it a much better experience...or restore things taken away in recent years.
To be fair the food has improved recently, but agreed, it is still essentially a payment for incremental TP points - especially for elites - and nothing else.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I take some comfort from the implication that Sr. Cruz is reversing some of the earlier decisions that met with no favour from CC or Pax in CW.

I watch with interest, as we have a few l/h BA trips in prospect for 2019.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:32 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As far as I know, the 777X will have a wider cabin than the current 777 to better accommodate the 10 abreast.
Just to clarify this, it is a wider internal cabin by cutting down on / being more efficient with the insulation between the outer skin and inner cabin wall. IIRC it only gains about 50mm per side so is just 100mm wider than the original 777. So in round numbers, either this translates to slightly wider aisles or a measly 10mm extra seat width per pax (not even 1/2 an inch!!)

Personally this "777X has a wider cabin than original 777" is so insignificant (on a per pax basis) it is simply a marketing gimmick
dougzz likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by BOH
Just to clarify this, it is a wider internal cabin by cutting down on / being more efficient with the insulation between the outer skin and inner cabin wall. IIRC it only gains about 50mm per side so is just 100mm wider than the original 777. So in round numbers, either this translates to slightly wider aisles or a measly 10mm extra seat width per pax (not even 1/2 an inch!!)

Personally this "777X has a wider cabin than original 777" is so insignificant (on a per pax basis) it is simply a marketing gimmick
I had not closely studied it, so I guess I fell for the marketing spin as well.
BOH likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by bhbloke
On my Finnair flight in economy last week, everyone gets a drink as mentioned above.

As a OWE I was offered a newpaper pre-taxi, as well as a premium drink during the drinks run (CC encouraged me to have a champagne, and looked quite hurt when I declined )

I guess they must be used to us BA pax thinking the offer is a cunning plan to separate us from our hard earned cash!
On AA, even on the American Eagle (short haul operated by 3rd parties like Republic or Envoy), in Economy all MCE pax get free premium drinks and all Executive Platinum and OWE pax get a free premium drink regardless of seat. EVERYONE, regardless of fare class or status, gets free water/soft drinks/coffee/tea. Even on the 20 min flights. If even Discount Doogie gives a free cuppa (or multiple, on longer flights), one has to wonder why BA won't.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
I guess BA realized it can’t call itself a premium airline with the current ET service. All other legacies except IB and EI offer something for free to their passengers in SH Y. Let’s see what come out of this ET catering improvement. The most insulting for me was the free water from the tank.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:14 am

For the non/low status pax, ET offers the exact same experience as a LCC (actually arguably worse as one can play games with the FR/U2 check in times to get a better seat, pay a little more to be guaranteed overhead bin space, etc.).

Meanwhile other OW carriers manage to serve a beverage and a pack of snacks while still doing BOB well.

Also, for a time it was slightly more expensive to pay for on board wifi in pounds than in USD...Always thought that was strange for a British airline (:
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
When BA introduce BoB all the BA apologists stated that where BA led all others would follow.

It just hasn't happened apart from LX on GVA routes and all others offer something even if it's just a drink but the majors (LH & AF) continue to offer rather more so BA does look expensive and nasty in comparison.
allturnleft likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.