Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seychelles taxis

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
How many airports in the world do you think don't have taxis waiting?
Other than the excellent examples already given, Florence (FLR) had a large queue of people and no taxis when I was there over summer (it was an early Sunday evening). I was heading away from Florence city, so public transport was considerably less feasible.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:41 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

There are taxis in SEZ at most times of the day in which there are flights coming in or departing. Note that they don't use a metre and you haggle the price before getting on.

conversely, in TPE particularly, Taxis are often so in demand, that people wait for taxis, instead of taxis waiting for passengers. And the lines can get excruciatingly long at certain times.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Very helpful post...

For what it’s worth, I too can think of a lot of places where I have arrived only to find no taxis..
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
The balance of supply and demand is in your favour at SEZ. Most unlikely that there will be no taxis, but you could always book ahead if you want peace of mind.
Madinat likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK

Very helpful post...

For what it’s worth, I too can think of a lot of places where I have arrived only to find no taxis..
OK, but I can't think of a single airport I have every been to with no taxis. Trains stations, yes, Airports, no, and in the extremely unlikely event that ever happened one pick up of a phone or going to a desk would solve the problems. Taxi drivers lover airline passengers. Easy to take advantage of vs the locals
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:41 am

OK, but I can't think of a single airport I have every been to with no taxis. Trains stations, yes, Airports, no, and in the extremely unlikely event that ever happened one pick up of a phone or going to a desk would solve the problems. Taxi drivers lover airline passengers. Easy to take advantage of vs the locals
I've even been to LGW several times where there were no taxis, and calling one from the stand proffered a 60-90 minute waiting time.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Amex Plat, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry
We went to SEZ for our honeymoon in August, managed a good deal on a rental car with broker Creolepay. Drive on the left like UK, but some of the sheer drops off the bends on roads up the hills can be a bit hairy!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PointsPointsPoints
I would pre-book one. Look on trip advisor for recommendations, there are plenty to chose from.

Which Hotel are you going to, I could give you my best guess fro price.

Assuming you are coming in on the weekend flight there is no traffic around the airport.
Avani Barbarons. Any advice appreciated. I'm reluctant to hire a self drive as we hope to fly in a comfortable seat and will probably have a few drinks. Quite happy to take a local bus if one runs direct from the Airport to the west coast road. Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Jackophil
Avani Barbarons. Any advice appreciated. I'm reluctant to hire a self drive as we hope to fly in a comfortable seat and will probably have a few drinks. Quite happy to take a local bus if one runs direct from the Airport to the west coast road. Thanks.
I obtained a quote for a shuttle service from our hotel and the price appeared to be almost double what taxi's charge, any advise on pre booking taxi companies contact able online would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tilly71
I obtained a quote for a shuttle service from our hotel and the price appeared to be almost double what taxi's charge, any advise on pre booking taxi companies contact able online would be much appreciated.
I'm not sure what pre-booking would add, since as mentioned up thread there is no shortage of taxi drivers, a taxi desk by Arrivals and taxi agents authorised by the airport running around too. The arrival area is almost immediately next to the taxi rank, it's fairly congested half open area with a veranda on top. The airport authority mention on their website the following companies: Creole Travel Services, Mason's Travel, 7 Degrees South, Cheung Kong Travel.
http://www.seychellesairports.sc/ind...port/departing
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. I think we'll take pot luck on arrival. It all sounds pretty well organised.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC
INV if the last LHR-INV flight (in the days when it was operated by DAN AIR) was running a few minutes late - in fact most of the airport was shut down (arrival was scheduled for approx 22:00)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by Jackophil
Thanks again everyone. I think we'll take pot luck on arrival. It all sounds pretty well organised.
Having been "fortunate" enough to work there for a year, there are always plenty of taxis in the arrivals area. Haggle the price before the journey as they will always start high.

Avani is a nice little resort on the west coast. Have a great time!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Plenty of small, regional ones where they don't expect many people and/or they're all likely to be locals with their own cars or family picking them up. My particular experience of this has been in Scottish islands and also in the northern regions of Norway - just not many local cab drivers and once they're on a job you're out of luck. At Vadso there's a telephone to call one and thankfully everybody speaks English but you might wait for an hour or more for one of the couple of local taxis to be available to come to the airport, where you're waiting in a tiny room with two chairs or outside in sub-zero temperatures if it's the last flight of the night. At Kirkenes even in the middle of the afternoon we were told that there were no taxis, just not possible, sorry. Luckily we called our hotel and they found a member of staff about to go into town so they picked us up.

This even almost happened at LCY the night I flew back on a delayed service from GLA. We'd gone over the 10pm curfew and into the 30 minute grace period allowed a certain number of times per year. The crew even in the last few minutes were preparing for a last-minute diversion to Southend. We got wheels down at 10.29pm. In CE (an OpUp, I wouldn't usually bother) and with hand luggage only I was one of the first out to find only one black cab and he said he had been about to give up and drive off as he had assumed there would be no more arrivals since the curfew is so strictly enforced.

I've waited in a queue for 40-60 minutes at plenty of airports and train stations, which isn't the same as there being no taxi service at all but not exactly what you want after a long trip.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Whilst there is usually a taxi knocking around in some shape or form, the process of getting one is not always as easy as one might think, and sometimes it can require a very lengthy wait. I once had to wait ages at Linate late at night and to this day I cannot after several attempts I cannot fathom how the taxi "system" works at Sheremetyevo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.