Wiki Posts
Search

Refundable or not?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Refundable or not?

I'm looking to book a USA-LHR-TLV return, and I'm trying to find out if the fare is refundable or not (for a fee). It's in club world in I class.

Booking on BA.com, after choosing flights it has the section for fare rules which says:

Your ticket conditions
Changes to your ticket
Changes permitted at any time within ticket validity for a change fee of USD 500 or upgrade fee of USD 500 plus any fare difference. All sectors may be repriced. Ticket retains value for future travel only if flight reservation is cancelled prior to ticketed departure time. Changes subject to availability.

Refunds
There are no refunds except for any refundable government and airport taxes.
Looking on expertflyer, I can find the exact same price for fare INNC05S5, and the fare rules say:

CANCELLATIONS

BEFORE DEPARTURE
CHARGE USD 450.00.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
REFUND PERMITTED WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY.
So which is it? Non-refundable, or refundable for a $450 fee? BA.com does not give me the exact fare basis code, so I can't be sure I'm looking at the same one, but on expertflyer this is the only one that matches the price.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This isn't so unusual. There will be two identical fares with slightly different change rules / fees and it's luck of the draw as to which one shows up online. For this you absolutely need to ring up, you can be sure that the fare rules you are seeing will be the ones applied to your ticket. Having said that, if you are a regular BA traveller then the fact that the first one has a retained value for cancellations - which is typical for USA issued tickets - may be good enough for your purposes. If you are trying to avoid the telephone fee I guess you could try booking the shown fare and then calling up, since within 24 hours you can make changes without additional fees, just fare difference, and a full refund is possible if it doesn't work out. Note also that ITA Matrix isn't foolproof, just because it's showing to you doesn't mean it is necessarily available. ITA won't show Private BA fares either.

[However since you are GGL, I'm not sure why you're asking here!]
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. BA controls its own tickets. So, the BA fare rules will prevail over anything any other channel says.
2. BA I fares are typically, although not always, fully inflexible and non-refundable. Thus, what you see on the BA site has the ring of truth.
3. Extrapolating the BA fare basis by comparing fares is no assurance.

Why not call BA and ask for the full fare basis?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks CWS and Often1. I'll call up and ask for it specifically and see what they say. This would be for a family member who isn't a regular traveler, so keeping the ticket for a different date wouldn't be useful.

I try to ask here before calling, as usually I learn a lot more from you guys than from BA directly .
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:46 am

Similar question:

I booked a ticket on the weekend, by poking around on Expedia and Expertflyer I was pretty sure that I was being offered on BA.com was likely INWT08S5, which according to the filed fare on EF carries a $200 cancellation charge but appears to be otherwise refundable before departure ?

Thanks to other helpful folks on this forum, I found that I have indeed been ticket on INWT08S5 for the outbound and INXT08S5 for the inbound, both of which appear to have the $200 cancellation charge. BA.com, as the OP, shows that the fare is non refundable. Which is correct ?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What does ITA say when you pull up the same fare as ba.com? (Remember to adjust for the GDS fee.)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
What does ITA say when you pull up the same fare as ba.com? (Remember to adjust for the GDS fee.)
I can't pull it up for the same dates on ITA, but on other dates it shows the same $200 cancellation charge that I pulled from EF.

Allow me to clarify as well, I made the booking through BA.com - only mentioned Expedia as I used it to price it out and view the fare rules and fare basis on offer (as on Expedia you can do that before actually purchasing a ticket).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.