Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi Partner Avios Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by etiene
Interesting - wonder if this is a YMMV/agent specific situation, as this is not the only place I have seen suggest that such backtracking was allowed on MP redemptions. I have been mulling adding to my current MPR to use the remaining available segments, but it is quite dependent on shifting personal circumstances so I will not be trying it for a few months yet if I do. Regardless, if anyone is able to weigh in with anecdotal evidence of "backtracking" that would be most welcome.
Back tracking is not allowed.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by teledude
Originally Posted by etiene
Interesting - wonder if this is a YMMV/agent specific situation, as this is not the only place I have seen suggest that such backtracking was allowed on MP redemptions. I have been mulling adding to my current MPR to use the remaining available segments, but it is quite dependent on shifting personal circumstances so I will not be trying it for a few months yet if I do. Regardless, if anyone is able to weigh in with anecdotal evidence of "backtracking" that would be most welcome.
Neither is adding segments to an existing booking
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Really? I'm surprised to hear that, as I have definitely redeemed one set of ticket as 2 separate round-trip in the past (HKG-TYO-HKG-Europe-HKG), and there seems to be no "No Backtracking" rule unlike Asia Miles.

My experience in booking multi carrier reward is to understand fully the rules, and manage your expectations before speaking to an agent, and when they are not reasonably following the rules, HUCA, or call another center altogether.

And for before departure, based on my experience, you can change, add or delete segment so long as the total distance remain within the ticketed band, subject to the change fee and tax.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Seems to be quite a bit of confusion here, all depending on who you talk to at BA
I actually asked if they had the rules in writing that could be shared for future reference. I was told there were no such thing, and I guess that would also explain the numerous different answers one can get. But hey, no fun without a bit of challenge! I am still waiting for a repricing that I asked for on Thursday, now I have two flights in my app, with the original one ticketed, but not the new one...as would be expected I guess.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by marcolau317
Really? I'm surprised to hear that, as I have definitely redeemed one set of ticket as 2 separate round-trip in the past (HKG-TYO-HKG-Europe-HKG), and there seems to be no "No Backtracking" rule unlike Asia Miles.
This rather seems to prove my point! In addition to the above, I have seen some report a restriction on only one "overland segment/open-jaw" and others who claimed to have redeemed MPRs with several.

Originally Posted by s1362083
Neither is adding segments to an existing booking
And for before departure, based on my experience, you can change, add or delete segment so long as the total distance remain within the ticketed band, subject to the change fee and tax.
Likewise, I have added segments - though in my case these were originally out of range which could be a special case. However, none of my conversations with the Gold Line agents suggested that one couldn't modify at will before the departure of the first flight [the difference between adding, deleting and changing segments being pretty much semantics]. I was assured that adding flights which changed the distance band wouldn't be an issue either, though in the end that didn't actually occur.

My experience in booking multi carrier reward is to understand fully the rules, and manage your expectations before speaking to an agent, and when they are not reasonably following the rules, HUCA, or call another center altogether.
Originally Posted by Knodde
Seems to be quite a bit of confusion here, all depending on who you talk to at BA
I actually asked if they had the rules in writing that could be shared for future reference. I was told there were no such thing, and I guess that would also explain the numerous different answers one can get. But hey, no fun without a bit of challenge! I am still waiting for a repricing that I asked for on Thursday, now I have two flights in my app, with the original one ticketed, but not the new one...as would be expected I guess.
Yeah - it seems that not only are these "rules" for MPR not published, the impression I get is that they are passed on solely by word of mouth at BA too...! The only rule that seems to be certain is "8 segments max". In light of that, I personally think it's entirely reasonable to ask for what one wants.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL
My own very recent experience in booking a multicarrier award was incredibly frustrating in terms of the complete inconsistency of advice i received, so HUACA is always an option if you dont like the first answer you receive (assuming you have the patience of a saint).

The final answer i received was that backtracking was not permitted. I wasn’t comfortable with this and spent a lot of time looking at potential multicarrier bookings through ba.com (ie round trip avios bookings with 2 non BA oneworld partners). Interestingly whilst many itineraries with backtracking could be selected they could not be priced online, whilst those without backtracking could be priced online, reflecting the appropriate application of the multicarrier pricing table.
Based on those findings I gave up on my original more aggressive itinerary.

I would also note that recent coverage of these redemptions in blogs eg HFP a few weeks ago presenting these redemptions as an opportunity to book 8 award flights without any constraints no doubt raises the number of queries coming into BA and the scrutiny around them.

A final word of caution, even if your discussion with the agent goes smoothly and the itinerary isnt challenged there is still a decent chance it will be rejected by ticketing. Given the time it takes to root out award availability this is particularly frustrating.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Fossiebear
A final word of caution, even if your discussion with the agent goes smoothly and the itinerary isnt challenged there is still a decent chance it will be rejected by ticketing. Given the time it takes to root out award availability this is particularly frustrating.
Yep, and this is why after spending too many hours on this a couple of years ago, I decided it's not worth trying to do anything remotely complicated if you value your time and sanity. Better to spend that time on earning more avios instead!
LCY8737 and etiene like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
The final answer i received was that backtracking was not permitted. I wasn’t comfortable with this and spent a lot of time looking at potential multicarrier bookings through ba.com (ie round trip avios bookings with 2 non BA oneworld partners). Interestingly whilst many itineraries with backtracking could be selected they could not be priced online, whilst those without backtracking could be priced online, reflecting the appropriate application of the multicarrier pricing table.
Based on those findings I gave up on my original more aggressive itinerary.

Fair point - I had not twigged that one might actually be able to price some of these online. When you say itineraries with backtacking, do you mean the likes of AAA-BBB-CCC-BBB-AAA would not price? [Without a stopover, I would personally argue this should not be classified as "backtracking"].

I would also note that recent coverage of these redemptions in blogs eg HFP a few weeks ago presenting these redemptions as an opportunity to book 8 award flights without any constraints no doubt raises the number of queries coming into BA and the scrutiny around them.
I'd forgotten about the HFP coverage, though my assumption with these rewards is that they will attract enough notice to be questioned at some point. On the one hand that wouldn't be the worst thing if it merely causes BA to actually publish the rules we're having to infer from anecdote - on the other it could result in the removal of some of the better features.

Yes - this is one of my concerns as regards changing itineraries. I would hope that existing ticketed flights would be kept until a revised itinerary is issued, such that if the new itinerary falls foul of one of the unseen rules one is still in possession of the original ticket.

More generally, I can't see that any of these rules would be difficult to implement in whatever tool the agents use to build the itinerary [and indeed they do seem to be built in to the website for simple round trips] such that one cannot have an itinerary accepted by the agent but rejected by ticketing.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL
[QUOTE=etiene;30745130]Fair point - I had not twigged that one might actually be able to price some of these online. When you say itineraries with backtacking, do you mean the likes of AAA-BBB-CCC-BBB-AAA would not price? [Without a stopover, I would personally argue this should not be classified as "backtracking"].

When i say backtracking i mean reversing the overall direction of travel (other than as the start of a return leg). So for example:
DOH to NRT return
Permitted routings (via QR/JL/CX) eg Hanoi, Bangkok, Shanghai, HK all no issue to price online.
However routings through London, for example, cannot be priced online.
As another example HKG-DOH return could not be routed through Tokyo.

By mapping out the flight paths on GC map i could discern the logic being applied.

This is a very strict interpretation, even preventing backtracking in the same continent. I dont believe that this is consistently applied in practise though.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC
My past experience in changing a booking was like this:
call UK centre to initiate changes. The agent will claim the change is made, but need to reprice manually. Usually this will led to dead end, no confirmation on new price, but if you head to MMB, all segments (new and old) will appear as a mess.

You then call India centre ask to complete the repricing, maybe 3-5 days after first call. This will take at least 15-30+ minutes waiting, but all manual repricing should complete in just 1 call. Mine case involves further changes and ended up taking 3 hours to complete,maybe shorter if things are going your way.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
I appreciate all the input we have had on this thread, and I think it adds value, even if we haven't reached a conclusion. So in the end I got my final flight changed, in an itinerary of 8 flights after have flown the first 6, and it took some time to change the last. I had 5 calls to make it happen, or 6, 7, 8 or such, with the ping pong transferred between different BA desks, and always treated like a new caller.

In the end, I suceeded to have the airline changed, the departure city changed, so all in, keeping to the rules of 8 segments, one open jaw, same milage. Still, it was messy, it took time, even to find the flights to start with. So if you do not have the time, or more important, the flexibility, then it will be a struggle.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Knodde
Still, it was messy, it took time, even to find the flights to start with. So if you do not have the time, or more important, the flexibility, then it will be a struggle.
Amen to that. On the face of it, it may look like a good deal. But once you factor in the time it takes to piece everything together it is much less so. And that is coming from someone with access to the GGL line and free changes. Doing this through the regular blue line I think I'd rather stay home.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but looking for some clarification:

I’m looking to book two CX flights for next spring, when they become available, then two JL flights approximately 3 weeks later. Availability seems good when the flights are released, but if I wait till they’re all available then the outbound CX flights might have gone. Can I book the CX flights as a standard redemption, then change it to a multi-partner redemption when the JL flights are released?

Once I have a multi-partner redemption is it generally possible to add on extra sectors (within the 8 sector limit)?

And are change fees currently waived under book with confidence for things like this?

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by omk298
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but looking for some clarification:

I’m looking to book two CX flights for next spring, when they become available, then two JL flights approximately 3 weeks later. Availability seems good when the flights are released, but if I wait till they’re all available then the outbound CX flights might have gone. Can I book the CX flights as a standard redemption, then change it to a multi-partner redemption when the JL flights are released?

Once I have a multi-partner redemption is it generally possible to add on extra sectors (within the 8 sector limit)?

And are change fees currently waived under book with confidence for things like this?

Thanks
I've booked these before, and the trouble is finding an agent (even on the GGL line) that understands it's a OW product and not subject to most of the normal avios rules. And that's before getting someone in ticketing who also does the same. I don't know the answer to all of the questions, but I would suggest:
-I don't think you can convert, but you might get to the same place by cancelling, the tickets being released back into circulation by CX and booking the new ticket.
- On the change to add additional sectors, it will be easier if you stay within the same mileage band for the pricing.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
That's a shame - looks like I need a backup option or two.

Thanks for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.