Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Behaviour Guidance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Behaviour Guidance

Being somewhat outgoing and one who shares the love when he can I felt it best to ask my fellow FT'ers about this less i commit a faux paux or get a naughty mark against me for such behaviour.

Having recently hit Silver Mrs Clam and myself are soon( coach 06:40 from Brighton) to jump on a national express up to LHR for a rare NYE getaway( my 1st in 7 years where I wont be working). Flying to Hamburg and what with the new year fast approaching I was considering finding some randoms without status & flying economy and offering them the chance to sample the lounge as our guests as we have now have guesting rights.

Are such things frowned upon at LHR? At LGW staff there have been happy to confer with colleagues dealing with non business class travellers at check-in and made the offer on our behalf. Whilst we've only done it once there I appreciate LGW can be a bit more relaxed/ less formal/ stuffy ( all with no assertions cast). I just thought it would be a nice random act of kindness to treat those who might not have the means themselves. I do though understand that it may actually be frowned upon by BA themselves and that some here may think it stupid / uncouth so I wanted to put it out there as I'd rather avoid a 'heart in the right place but total a**' scenario which is something i'm capable of achieving easily enough without finding new ways to do it.
Dalo likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
I believe you just ride up and down the escalators outside the lounges until someone approaches you.

Asking to be guested in on the escalator
CaroFos, mikeyfly and gypsyjaney like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
As you know you can guest whoever you like into the lounge as long as they’re on a OW flight at Heathrow - entirely your prerogative. However this situation really does come across as a bit odd; you probably didn’t mean it but language like ‘don’t have the means’ is quite patronising, and if someone came up to me and made me feel like ‘the poor person in economy’ I wouldn’t be overly impressed.

Why not just enjoy your trip to the lounge with the wife before your flight? Have a great time in Germany, fantastic place to spend new year!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’m also one who would think of this as a false good idea. I mean if you sit next to a stranger on that coach, get along really well and end up saying “you know what, my wife and I are allowed a guest in the lounge, if you don’t already have access, would you like to join us so we continue our chat inside?” Then why not, but to just pick random people for the sake of it is both not really in the spirit of the guesting rules, unfair (you might pick the worst of the lot and leave out more deserving people by any criterion!) and could make them feel really awkward (including them wondering what you “really” want).

Ps: psychologists would also tell us that in either case our choice would never be truly random but would, instead, betray our prejudices. In fact, there are hundreds of psych experiments based on asking participants to ‘randomly choose’ among the strangers proposed...
1P, LTN Phobia, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Takes advice onboard and defers to it. Realise the 'means' part came across very wrong. I meant it in a better way but again concede it was indeed well meant but probably skip it

Thanks and I'm sure we'll have a great time
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Realise the 'means' part came across very wrong.
Definitely not "very wrong", you shouldn't worry. I think it's very clear the intention was a very nice one.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I’m also one who would think of this as a false good idea. I mean if you sit next to a stranger on that coach, get along really well and end up saying “you know what, my wife and I are allowed a guest in the lounge, if you don’t already have access, would you like to join us so we continue our chat inside?” Then why not, but to just pick random people for the sake of it is both not really in the spirit of the guesting rules, unfair (you might pick the worst of the lot and leave out more deserving people by any criterion!) and could make them feel really awkward (including them wondering what you “really” want).

THIS. Above all.

Imagine ‘guesting’ unknowns like the types who blagged their way into the CCR !
(No issue with the blagging per se - but a BIG issue with their behaviour, as observed, once allowed access).

Worth remembering that in guesting total strangers you are in essence assuming responsibility for their behaviour.
Dalo likes this.

Last edited by subject2load; Dec 30, 2018 at 12:40 am
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
I wouldnt have worried about what anyone else might think if its within the rules. I met an elderly solo lady traveller on the domestic to international bus connection last year at Sydney. Struck up a conversation and learnt that she was on QF Y ticketed flight to Japan to deal with some family problem daughters impending divorce apparently. I invited her into the QF F lounge. So a bit of a nice surprise for her before what was to be a very stressful trip!. Made me feel pretty good too. Got her fed and watered and even walked her to her gate and got her through a bit of a gate louse scrum to board (as she was not a seasoned traveller). These days if I meet someone who will engage in conversation (I hate talking to myself) I will always share the privilege of lounge access and offer an invite.

OF
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by OldFruity
I met an elderly solo lady traveller on the domestic to international bus connection last year at Sydney. Struck up a conversation and learnt that she was on QF Y ticketed flight to Japan to deal with some family problem daughters impending divorce apparently. I invited her into the QF F lounge. So a bit of a nice surprise for her before what was to be a very stressful trip!
Personally I see a meaningful difference between this and the OP.

In your case you had become aware of the traveller's circumstances beforehand.

The OP (even ignoring the rather insensitive language used) seems to involve approaching complete strangers.....regardless of the spirit of the guesting rules I find that a very odd way to behave.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Personally I see a meaningful difference between this and the OP.

In your case you had become aware of the traveller's circumstances beforehand.

The OP (even ignoring the rather insensitive language used) seems to involve approaching complete strangers.....regardless of the spirit of the guesting rules I find that a very odd way to behave.
indeed - the QF case vs the random guesting is almost literally the it’s one thing/it’s another distinction I was drawing above! Very different imho
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Simons1 - really couldn’t agree more ^
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:47 am

I have had the same thought to share with others in other lounges ..My only reluctance would be if I invited some one who behaved poorly . That I would regret .
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Be careful... you may guest somebody in, and then get stuck with them. Great if they're nice, but very unpleasant if they are weirdos.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:30 am

I'm a pretty friendly person and often I strike up conversation with strangers in queues and the like.

At airports I generally do so with the option of lounge guesting in mind. If the person is friendly and seems pleasant then at some point I bring up lounge access casually (along the lines of "I'm looking forward to getting to the lounge") and see how they respond. Most of the time they say the same, but if they say they don't have access then I offer no-strings entry as my guest. If we don't click then I don't do it.

Everyone has their own moral compass but this fits mine.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Don't know about others but I find this a bit weird.... approaching some random and asking if they want to come with you into an airport lounge......?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.