Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
But then read the entire post and it is clear it was the behaviour of the couple concerned that really irke the OP. The entire context matters not just the title.
And that behaviour could easily have been moderated by the OP having a quiet word with the CCR staff. If the issue was really one impacting others in the lounge no doubt the staff would have stepped in.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
ja - schadenfreude
I suggested the Germans might have a word for it precisely because they gave us Schadenfreude: such a useful concept. But Schadenfreude is taking pleasure from the downfall, failure or disappointment of others. It's what I guess our OP would have felt if the blaggers had been turned away; and pretty much the opposite of the feeling he did experience.

Something that encapsulates in one word GoreVidal's Whenever a friend succeeds, a little something in me dies is what we need.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I suggested the Germans might have a word for it precisely because they gave us Schadenfreude: such a useful concept. But Schadenfreude is taking pleasure from the downfall, failure or disappointment of others. It's what I guess our OP would have felt if the blaggers had been turned away; and pretty much the opposite of the feeling he did experience.

Something that encapsulates in one word GoreVidal's Whenever a friend succeeds, a little something in me dies is what we need.
Well, someone 'miffed at the good fortune of the blaggers' would surely take pleasure from their misery - at least based on your reference to the OP.
You are not looking for a description of situation but rather a classification of character and so to say I thought you were describing them as a type of 'schadenfreude person' seems reasonable.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737

German lesson 1/2019:

The German expression "Schadenfreude" consists of the two separate words "schaden" (damage) and "freude" (joy). It means deriving pleasure from someone else's misfortune.

In the situation described in this blog, the blagger got away with it - so no Schaden. The OP also got no joy out of it - so no Freude.

If anything, the blagger could have taken some Schadenfreude out of the OP getting upset, but that assumes that he'd have noticed or cared about the OP'S emotional distress.
As a fluent German speaker, I don't need a lesson.
I've explained my reasoning in another post.
Cheers.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Doesn't the English word envy cover this very well? Or does the fact that the first person also succeeded and isn't being deprived make a difference?
dajdavies likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't the English word envy cover this very well? Or does the fact that the first person also succeeded and isn't being deprived make a difference?
Yes it does. Their equivalent would be ironically be 'freudenschade'.
I think there's too much looking at OP, who I think, didn't do much, if anything, wrong.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think it plays a part, envy is born of admiration and has a drive to destroy. Here the blaggers get something we admire (access to CCR without paying for it), and there is envious hatred that wants them to be denied access or held to account. There are also strong Oedipal drives, with others receiving comfort (special treatment) or which is seen as undeserving, and these powerful feelings go right back in our childhood, even to infancy!
lhrpete and Ancient Observer like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:48 am

I think there's too much looking at OP, who I think, didn't do much, if anything, wrong.
Indeed it's something and nothing really.

The lounge agent clearly had some discretion and decided to let them in which was the end of it. A number of valid opinions expressed on the rights and wrongs of it but it appears the OP wasn't affected and life went on.
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended

Interesting how upset some people seem to be in this thread and how insistent some are that it 'just doesn't happen'. People saying you can't blag an upgrade on a UK train strike me as being a bit too naiive. The same for someone saying that flight crew 'refuse to upgrade anyone' as if they were stating an absolute fact. As I mentioned on another thread somewhere, I used to date an FA years ago and regularly got all kinds of 'perks' not only from herself but from other flight crew who knew both her and I. She didn't even need to be on the plane for crying out loud. I got seat upgrades, meal upgrades, a handful of those little mini bottles of booze, etc. without even having to 'blag' at all. I have no doubt whatsoever that others also got something they weren't 'entitled' to whether for similar reasons or simply because they 'sweet talked' an FA into it.

I think those being so insistent it can't or doesnt happen need to take a step back and realize that people are telling them it can and does happen and those people have no reason to lie about it.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I think it plays a part, envy is born of admiration and has a drive to destroy. Here the blaggers get something we admire (access to CCR without paying for it), and there is envious hatred that wants them to be denied access or held to account. There are also strong Oedipal drives, with others receiving comfort (special treatment) or which is seen as undeserving, and these powerful feelings go right back in our childhood, even to infancy!
Goes without saying there are different characters, opinions and so forth. Bringing childhood and these other unrelated concepts into it seems unnecessarily churlish.

It seems normal to me that people who enjoy something feel an air of protectionism. Everyone has a sense of rules and for some, when people breach these, they find it upsetting. This feeling may be increased when the presence of these pratagonists is unjustified (according to their own rules and those published rules, perks and conditions).
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:48 pm

Goes without saying there are different characters, opinions and so forth. Bringing childhood and these other unrelated concepts into it seems unnecessarily churlish.

It seems normal to me that people who enjoy something feel an air of protectionism. Everyone has a sense of rules and for some, when people breach these, they find it upsetting. This feeling may be increased when the presence of these pratagonists is unjustified (according to their own rules and those published rules, perks and conditions).
I really didn't mean to be churlish in any way. However I can assure you that the concepts I outlined are very much related, and where I agree with you, normal.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Maybe some passengers just want to protect their investment.
They paid up for a first class ticket. Then the lounge agent lets anyone in.
Also, I expect the beancounters at BA would want lounge staff to rigidly police their ticket class structure.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Interesting how upset some people seem to be in this thread and how insistent some are that it 'just doesn't happen'. People saying you can't blag an upgrade on a UK train strike me as being a bit too naiive. The same for someone saying that flight crew 'refuse to upgrade anyone' as if they were stating an absolute fact. As I mentioned on another thread somewhere, I used to date an FA years ago and regularly got all kinds of 'perks' not only from herself but from other flight crew who knew both her and I. She didn't even need to be on the plane for crying out loud. I got seat upgrades, meal upgrades, a handful of those little mini bottles of booze, etc. without even having to 'blag' at all. I have no doubt whatsoever that others also got something they weren't 'entitled' to whether for similar reasons or simply because they 'sweet talked' an FA into it.

I think those being so insistent it can't or doesnt happen need to take a step back and realize that people are telling them it can and does happen and those people have no reason to lie about it.
Dating cabin crew isn't the same as blagging though.

Last edited by Sealink; Jan 1, 2019 at 4:12 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Killian_S
I know that the gatekeepers are generally very strict around getting entry to the Concorde Room, maybe it was the time of the year!
Indeed...which is why I find it surprising the agent spoke in such a loud manner for you to hear clearly all that was said.
Could the blaggard have been a BA employee hence why the agent gave in so easily?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:47 am

One time on Emirates a guy tried to tailgate me into the lounge. Didn't get away with it. I had a chat with the staff how often they had to deal with such incidents and so on. Very professional, unlike it would appear here, BA staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.