Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Of course if they misbehaved they should be kicked out, but I suspect the OP was also a bit oversensitive and over-observant of their behaviour as he knew they had blagged their way in.
I think you have a point there - I was perhaps being oversensitive to this as I knew that they had sweet talked their way in. Fair enough, but I bet if you had paid £4.5k out of your own pocket for the ticket, it would have been challenging for you also not to get a little frustrated by this.

In response to my initial post, a lot of people here are talking unnecessarily about the class system, entitlement, etc. etc.. but this is actually nothing to do with that. I lived in a council house up until 5 years back! Like many of you on here, I have worked extremely hard, with many sacrifices, to be able to afford these things, and I thought it was unfair that others with the gift of the gab are able to have *partly* the same offering, at much less price. That's really it! Nothing to do with the less-privileged being given entry, etc. etc., that's just being silly.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by navylad
Can’t say I notice anyone playing music on speakers today (or yesterday I guess Uk time) in the CCR; I personally find it much more enjoyable not to worry about what others do, but clearly the OP took great pains to observe the lucky couple, inspecting the sofa after and all.

if they were affecting your enjoyment by all means complain to the staff.
Sometimes you cant "not to worry about what others do" if they are loud and causing a nuisance
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by SW7London
Sometimes you cant "not to worry about what others do" if they are loud and causing a nuisance
Which is why the last paragraph says "if they were affecting your enjoyment by all means complain to the staff."

It's easy to be vocal on FT but these things need to be addressed at the time.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
lol, amazing! what a nice dragon at the gate that day!

usually, as a CCR card holder (which was delivered to my US address, so dont have a physical one) it usually involves "talking my way in" while they look stuff up, write things on paper, make notes, etc etc then only after am i allowed to pass!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Killian_S
I think you have a point there - I was perhaps being oversensitive to this as I knew that they had sweet talked their way in. Fair enough, but I bet if you had paid £4.5k out of your own pocket for the ticket, it would have been challenging for you also not to get a little frustrated by this.

In response to my initial post, a lot of people here are talking unnecessarily about the class system, entitlement, etc. etc.. but this is actually nothing to do with that. I lived in a council house up until 5 years back! Like many of you on here, I have worked extremely hard, with many sacrifices, to be able to afford these things, and I thought it was unfair that others with the gift of the gab are able to have *partly* the same offering, at much less price. That's really it! Nothing to do with the less-privileged being given entry, etc. etc., that's just being silly.
With respect had you arrived 10 minutes before or after you would not have been aware of it. Also there are many occasions where BA allows access to those who might not otherwise have been entitled (like the Christmas guesting offer).

If these are the things that affect you then indeed you may need to recalibrate your 'sensitivity' as there are many things on this scale that could be trying if one is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't see the relevance of the council house/hard work stuff - so what? There are many examoles on here where people have challenged the boundaries, seems in this case the lucky travellers got away with it.
AdBoy likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by gliderpilot

hehe. Should have a go. A Silver colleague of mine incredibly managed to blag his way into the BA IAD lounge despite flying VS, telling a sad tale of woe in how work had forced him to fly Virgin and he much preferred BA!
Heard someone at BOS saying that they'd try to get in to the BA lounge rather than the clubhouse despite flying VS. "Much nicer than that 'basement' hole"
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well as some of you know I'm ordinarily resident for tax purposes in the CCR, but I must admit I've not seen that before. Indeed I've certainly seen people try it on and being politely but firmly told "absolutely no way". The other tactic is to kind of mishear and react as if being asked for directions: "oh yes, you're nearly at the right place, just turn around and you see those escalators going up over there...." So yes, leaving aside the details here, I think this couple were extraordinarily lucky.

But standing back from that, it is amusing to see yet another example of why some people really, reallçy want to get into the CCR, when there are plenty of people in this forum who give the impression it's sub-par to the Cathay lounge. Now I disagree with that view, while accepting that CX First is nevertheless a fine lounge which we are lucky to have in LHR, but I'm quite sure the lovely Cathay agents aren't put under anything like this sort of pressure.
Now that is interesting CWS. when you have time can you let me know the tax rates and threshold?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Yes but this type of person has no shame! Playing iphones / tablets without headphones is a pet hate of mine - people just seem oblivious to their surroundings / don’t care.

As the saying goes ‘no good deed goes unpunished’.
Earlier in the year I was with my wife on the CCR terrace and I was a bit mortified as she proceeded to start showing me a video on her phone with the volume on (not full volume, but maybe on 50%). She’s generally a polite and well-mannered lady. She remarked that it seemed like an odd form of unspoken etiquette when she was definitely making less noise than the group of gents who were talking rather loudly be the bar. She asked why one form of loud noise was acceptable when another less loud form of noise was not and I didn’t have a good answer for her.

I fear the battle for lounges being a quiet sanctuary may be lost without clearly stated rules and their enforcement, as it’s become far more acceptable to have noise playing from a device than it was 10 years ago, especially with videos and ads that auto-play with noise even in silent mode.
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:15 am

Not wanting to be a scrooge or anything when we're in the holiday period, but I did feel that this was unfair on those who had either paid for their tickets (like me), redeemed F seats through miles or flew with BA so often that they were given such a privilege through the Concorde card.
!
Killian, I think you make a reasonable point here regarding your expectations and experience. In my view, this would have been better handled (after the initial CCR rejection) by allowing you through and dealing more discreetly with the CCR access request.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Originally Posted by simons1
With respect had you arrived 10 minutes before or after you would not have been aware of it. Also there are many occasions where BA allows access to those who might not otherwise have been entitled (like the Christmas guesting offer).

If these are the things that affect you then indeed you may need to recalibrate your 'sensitivity' as there are many things on this scale that could be trying if one is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't see the relevance of the council house/hard work stuff - so what? There are many examoles on here where people have challenged the boundaries, seems in this case the lucky travellers got away with it.
Fair point - the point about the hard work is that the message from others seemed to be that I'm some sort of an elitist class-driven snob who doesn't want the riff-raff coming in. Nothing could be further from the truth, but if someone pays money for a ticket, then part of the proposition should be protected for those people. Agree to disagree!
Tobias-UK and LochAwe like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:12 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Fair point - the point about the hard work is that the message from others seemed to be that I'm some sort of an elitist class-driven snob who doesn't want the riff-raff coming in. Nothing could be further from the truth, but if someone pays money for a ticket, then part of the proposition should be protected for those people. Agree to disagree!
It remains to be seen why you didn't report the behaviour to the staff.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:11 am
Suspended

Just yesterday,................. but sadly did observe them putting their feet up on the seats and acting unbecoming of the place. I won't stereotype but I'm sure you can imagine (...think of the people who appear these reality shows).
I think you may have just provided the stereotypical image of those who think being allowed into a lounge is something that should be reserved only for 'the right kind of people'. Thanks for the laugh.

If someone is good enough to 'blag' their way in, they sound like people I would enjoy meeting. That takes some real talent. Having status or paying for entry is something pretty much anyone can do quite easily. It's like someone who solos Mt. Everest vs. someone who just buys their way to the top as happens these days.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Fair point - the point about the hard work is that the message from others seemed to be that I'm some sort of an elitist class-driven snob who doesn't want the riff-raff coming in. Nothing could be further from the truth...
I'll take you at your word that wasn't your intent. But I'd ask you to take a quick re-read of this from your first post:

I didn't complain (didn't see the point), but sadly did observe them putting their feet up on the seats and acting unbecoming of the place. I won't stereotype but I'm sure you can imagine (...think of the people who appear these reality shows).
Really not crazy that some folks saw that as good ol' English classism...
stevie likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:32 am

Where do you draw line though?

For example would you say no redemptions or cheap upgrades should be allowed in F because you personally have paid £4.5K out of your own pocket for the same seat?

Indeed there are two sides to every argument.....you weren't deprived of your published benefits and what one person may see as unacceptable may be considered by others to be neither here nor there.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
You are indeed the Grinch 😀

And I’d say what happens between passenger X and BA or its agents is only their business, not yours.
Read this reply and didn't bother with the rest of the thread. You are spot on.
PUCCI GALORE and armouredant like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.