Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA OnBusiness - Major Inconsistency in T&Cs

BA OnBusiness - Major Inconsistency in T&Cs

Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Meh
I gave up a few years ago with this scheme. Joke.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I feel for you.

OnBusiness has become a crap scheme. The most recent change a couple of years ago saw to that. The points you do now get are a fraction of what you previously received and redemptions in premium classes have also doubled. By my reckoning you now need to spend 4 times as much for the same redemption. Economy redemptions did not increase by as much but no longer get fulfilled from the previous B bucket but from the V bucket meaning that any BA Gold card holder has access to the same inventory for (much better value) Avios redemptions. Indeed Business redemptions are now fulfilled from R buckets as opposed to the previous C bucket which to me is a further devaluation.

I have had endless flights that do not credit correctly and while the service agents are usually friendly, actually getting hold of somebody that understands the scheme is hard work. This time of year, that will be almost impossible, especially if you have to use Bremen, like me.

My most recent flights, which had to be rerouted due to the LGW incident have also not credited. BA issued new tickets to Iberia to reroute me via MAD and I checked the OB number was still in the PNR but of course no credit. And, no chance to claim for credit until 10 days after the flights, which just as you, restricts me spending other points due to expire in 2 days time.

I hardly ever have flights credit the same amount of points as s shown on the tickets but have given up wasting my time claiming the differences as the amount of time this consumes is in no way relative to the value of the points.

Once, when attempting to change the return flight on an OB booking, I was refused the change quoting the Ts and Cs which was absolute BS and I had to screenshot BAs own website back to them to persuade them to perform the change.

My collection of points will soon be either used or expired and I see no point continuing to use the scheme. The chances of collecting enough points for a worthwhile redemption have vanished. The idea of the scheme to help smaller bussinesses cannot be fulfilled, since it is only the larger spending businesses which can now really benefit at all, although even in their case much less than previously.
BA onbusiness bookings are non changeable once outbound is flown so if that was the reason given for not being able to change that would be correct.

See Onbusiness t and c from ba.com below:

11.1 Reward Flight bookings can be changed no less than 24 hours prior to the FIRST scheduled departure of the flight in the Reward itinerary. Reward Flight Upgrade bookings can be changed no less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the flight in the Reward itinerary. Reward Flight Upgrade changes are subject to the fare rules of the original commercial booking class.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by greyt
Personally I value 1 OB point as the equivalent of 2 Avios.

My my use of them is mainly to open up additional availability on long haul WTP and Club when Avios redemptions are not available and short haul Coach in USA.
Interesting valuation, but personally I think they are valued at a far higher level, as they are much harder to earn.

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
They only have a value when you intend to use them. I would purchase a cash ticket that has similar fare conditions to an OB funded ticket and for which OB points could have been used at the time. I would then claim for the cash as BAs breach in failing to adhere to the terms has led you to have to use alternative means to purchase the ticket.
That's an interesting angle, and perhaps what I will move on to if the lady who heads up OB, is not willing to offer me what I have asked.

Originally Posted by stevie
I gave up a few years ago with this scheme. Joke.
I agree that it isn't as good as it was a few years ago, but better to do something with the Points than nothing.

M
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I have a booking where the TATL on the return is upgraded with Avios. I just called OB and tried to upgrade the outbound TATL and they claimed that they can't do it as Avios have been used somewhere in the booking. I have looked at the T&Cs and see no mention of this. Anyone else had this issue?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by annihilation
I have a booking where the TATL on the return is upgraded with Avios. I just called OB and tried to upgrade the outbound TATL and they claimed that they can't do it as Avios have been used somewhere in the booking. I have looked at the T&Cs and see no mention of this. Anyone else had this issue?
Yes, that is the policy.
I encountered the problem a few weeks ago. I tried my luck at two regional call centers and got the same reply after they checked with the supervisor.
That was upsetting as it is not mentioned anywhere and I was keeping points that expired 31 December for that purpose
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Interesting, has anyone found that in the T&Cs?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
Yes, that is the policy.
I encountered the problem a few weeks ago. I tried my luck at two regional call centers and got the same reply after they checked with the supervisor.
That was upsetting as it is not mentioned anywhere and I was keeping points that expired 31 December for that purpose
No. I succesfully purchased a ticket and at the same time requested OB upgrade in one direction and UUA in the other. This was in 2017, so after the most recent devaluation.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Anonba

BA onbusiness bookings are non changeable once outbound is flown so if that was the reason given for not being able to change that would be correct.

See Onbusiness t and c from ba.com below:

11.1 Reward Flight bookings can be changed no less than 24 hours prior to the FIRST scheduled departure of the flight in the Reward itinerary. Reward Flight Upgrade bookings can be changed no less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the flight in the Reward itinerary. Reward Flight Upgrade changes are subject to the fare rules of the original commercial booking class.
This was why I had a fight. This highlights the inconsistency in this scheme. You see, when I open the T&Cs from my logged-on page to OB, I see this ...
11.1 Reward Flight bookings and Reward Flight Upgrade bookings can be changed no less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the flight in the Reward itinerary. Reward Flight Upgrade changes are subject to the fare rules of the original commercial booking class.

11.2 Changes can be made by the Company Authoriser, Programme Administrator, Nominated Travel Agent or by the Travelling Employee via On Business or through Your local On Business Service Centre.

11.3. Permitted changes are limited to date and time of a relevant flight and are subject to capacity limitations. Name changes are not permitted. You may incur a service fee to make a permitted change to Your Reward Flight booking or Reward Upgrade Flight booking or an additional charge to cover taxes, fees and charges.
This is cleary different to what you quoted and indeed was quoted to me by the BA OB agent. 10 minutes after quoting back their own T&Cs to them by email, my change was made.

https://onbusiness.britishairways.co...and-conditions
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:48 am

This was why I had a fight. This highlights the inconsistency in this scheme. You see, when I open the T&Cs from my logged-on page to OB, I see this ...

This is cleary different to what you quoted and indeed was quoted to me by the BA OB agent. 10 minutes after quoting back their own T&Cs to them by email, my change was made.

https://onbusiness.britishairways.co...and-conditions
The page i quoted from is on BA.com and is displayed under Onbusiness terms and conditions.....weird.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:41 am

The page i quoted from is on BA.com and is displayed under Onbusiness terms and conditions.....weird.

Exactly my point. Once signed in to OB, follow my link and you will see the contradiction. BA confirmed it, claimed it was a discrepency that would be corrected, that the logged-on version was correct and more logical since it corresponds to the Avios conditions, but now, nearly 2 years later, the contradiction remains. I have since had no problems changing return flights when calling Bremen.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:27 am

Exactly my point. Once signed in to OB, follow my link and you will see the contradiction. BA confirmed it, claimed it was a discrepency that would be corrected, that the logged-on version was correct and more logical since it corresponds to the Avios conditions, but now, nearly 2 years later, the contradiction remains. I have since had no problems changing return flights when calling Bremen.
Well i cant sign on as i dont have an onbusiness account for obvious reasons.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:51 am

Interestingly enough we had an email in the contact centres today to say that the t and c are now that onbusiness bookings can be changed after the outbound flight is taken. Looks like ba.com was just changed before the new policy was officially live.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:01 am

Interestingly enough we had an email in the contact centres today to say that the t and c are now that onbusiness bookings can be changed after the outbound flight is taken. Looks like ba.com was just changed before the new policy was officially live.
I suspect that policy has been around for a while and that it is the T&C's on the public part of ba.com that have not (yet) been changed. I was sure it was allowed as I have changed return bookings several times now.

But while you're here ...
I also now see online that travel agent bookings can now also be upgraded using OB points. Does this mean that the requirement to book an upgrade at the same time as booking a flight has been relaxed, and that I can call OB to upgrade online bookings anytime after upgrade availability appears?

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:31 am

I suspect that policy has been around for a while and that it is the T&C's on the public part of ba.com that have not (yet) been changed. I was sure it was allowed as I have changed return bookings several times now.

But while you're here ...
I also now see online that travel agent bookings can now also be upgraded using OB points. Does this mean that the requirement to book an upgrade at the same time as booking a flight has been relaxed, and that I can call OB to upgrade online bookings anytime after upgrade availability appears?

Hi the policy has not been around a while as you put it. The email today specifically said there was an amendment in policy that meant from today 14th january part flown bookings can be changed. In other words if its been done before youve been lucky!

The second part is again another change in policy where you are now able to upgrade an existing booking with onbusiness points.

Generally it would seem onbusiness is becoming more flexible and similiar to Avios t and c.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:49 pm

Hi the policy has not been around a while as you put it. The email today specifically said there was an amendment in policy that meant from today 14th january part flown bookings can be changed. In other words if its been done before youve been lucky!

The second part is again another change in policy where you are now able to upgrade an existing booking with onbusiness points.

Generally it would seem onbusiness is becoming more flexible and similiar to Avios t and c.
Well, the T&Cs when logged on have not changed, did support changes to return bookings after the outbound had been flown and I was succesful in making such changes. I do not consider myself lucky being able to make changes that were obviously intended to be allowed just because internal BA information was contradictory. The internal memo is useful for customers now wishing to make these changes, I hope the public T&Cs are amended to reflect this and that nobody else has the hassle that I did making changes.

Happy to also hear that upgrades to existing bookings are possible. The website banner does not however state that this applies to all existing bookings but only to TA bookings. Can you confirm that internal guidelines apply to all existing bookings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.