Taxes Anomoly with New RFS Pricing - SA Domestic

Old Dec 29, 18, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Taxes Anomoly with New RFS Pricing - SA Domestic

Booked a domestic J RFS in South Africa for the first time since the November price increase but the price calculation doesn't match the stated R900 (~£49) per person each way. Both BA.com and the agent on the phone price the return out as £133/R2445 and after checking with the duty manager (they agree with me that this is incorrect but cannot override the automatic pricing) booked the tickets and sent of for manual verification.

Has anyone else seen this yet or indeed made and RFS booking at the correct price? I'm assuming that this will be repriced correctly once someone looks at it but also wondering if I'm missing something which could be responsible for the difference.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Has the account making the booking earned at least 1 avio in the last year in order to qualify for RFS pricing?
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:31 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC Gold
I called the gold line today as I was trying to book CPT-LVI and it was showing taxes more than the cash fare.
a friend of mine based in CPT got it showing as RFS correctly in local currenty but I cant.... so when I called the gold line they were like no as its got an international it doesn't qualify for RFS and i was like then how come my friend can quote it CPT-LVI via JNB with only 1000rand fees as per RFS? they said RFS is only applicable for domestic SA flights. I called BS as I had the same issue CPT-PLZ last week for an upcoming trip and ended up paying cash as the RFS was ridiculously priced.

its a bug but also gold line cant change it. very annoying.
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
Has the account making the booking earned at least 1 avio in the last year in order to qualify for RFS pricing?
Yes I'm using my account which has earned several.

Originally Posted by flylikelinz View Post
its a bug but also gold line cant change it. very annoying.
Interesting flylikelinz. The agent initially guessed that RFS doesn't apply to SA anymore but then she got up the web page I linked above which is pretty clear.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ba.com seems to list a different price (since the November price increase):

Reward Flight Saver fees

With Reward Flight Saver, you pay Avios plus a low flat fee instead of the taxes, fees and carrier charges.

Our current Reward Flight Saver fees are:
  • British Airways flights in Europe - £35/€42 return in economy (Euro Traveller) and £50/€60 return in business (Club Europe)
  • Comair flights in southern Africa - £80/ZAR1000 return in economy (Traveller) and £140/ZAR1800 in business (Club)
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

ZAR1800 is what I would expect to pay and corresponds to ZAR900 each way and about £98 total. I donít know where BA got their exchange rate from but it hasnít been ZAR13/£ for many years.

Perhaps by coincidence the £133 figure is exactly the same as the cash fare in economy on the flights I have selected.
Old Dec 29, 18, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Another datapoint. I have a CPT-JNB one-way RFS in Club bought after the November changes. I got stung for the £70 (booked online thru ba.com).
So yes, well in excess of the R900 originally announced.

As the TF&Cs amount, in my case, comes to £104 (of which £74 is YQ!!) then technically the £70 is still a saving.
Old Jan 4, 19, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Update: Took a few days and a bit of chasing from the Gold line towards the ticketing team but they have agreed to refund the difference between £133 and whatever the current exchange rate of ZAR1800 is, about £35 a ticket cheaper than the original charge.

Search this Thread