All devices to be turned off ....

Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
All devices to be turned off ....

Landing late last night at CDG and an announcement came over the tannoy for all electronic devices to be turned off - not just airplane mode - off completely.
its the first time I’d heard that - and a CC member explained later that we were:
1. Doing an ILS (?) automatic landing in heavy fog so apparently there can be interference- and -
2. If I understood correctly there is a new ASA ( ACA) ?? ... ..... some TLA starting with A .... Directive stating all devices should be off anyway on take off / approach.

Thought it may be of some interest to some.
Fellow passengers largely ignored it unfortunately.

Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks for that,

There is a recent thread here;

Devices off - ‘special’ landing

I have not heard of a new directive yet though ( and I do not think it was mentioned in the thread)

Regards

TBS
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
I have not heard of a new directive yet though ( and I do not think it was mentioned in the thread)
Just to add whenever they have done autolands in the past it's been the same announcement asking for all devices to be turned completely off so I don't think there is anything new.

Originally Posted by TheBigRat
1. Doing an ILS (?) automatic landing in heavy fog so apparently there can be interference
Most landings at the main airports around Europe have instrument landing systems (ILS) on most of the arrival runways. The ILS provides to the approaching aircraft both lateral and vertical guidance right down to the threshold of the runway. This can be coupled with the autopilot so that basically the plane lines itself up on the right heading and descending on the right glide slope for the approach. The pilots would usually disengage the autopilot around 1500-500ft where they would be visual with the runway. There is usually a minimum altitude (usually around 300-200ft) you need to be able to see the approach lights/runway otherwise you have to go-around.

However when it is really foggy or there is a very low cloud base it may be the situation that it is impossible to see the approach lights/runway by the time you would normally have to. There are also higher categories of ILS (CAT II and III) which can be used. For CAT III basically the autopilot is used right down to the ground and the plane lands itself on the runway. This can be used with very low visibility and this is what you had at CDG.
Often1, nancypants and glennhaak like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not new and has been around worldwide for a good 4-5 years for landings at runways with Cat III equpt. and upgraded avionics onboard.

The system would not generally be deployed, but when both the runway and aircraft are equipped, it avoids a diversion (or cancellation at departure point).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Often1
This is not new and has been around worldwide for a good 4-5 years for landings at runways with Cat III equpt. and upgraded avionics onboard.

The system would not generally be deployed, but when both the runway and aircraft are equipped, it avoids a diversion (or cancellation at departure point).
Autoland has been around for 50 years (nearly to the day!) What’s changed in the few years is that PEDs are more common and can be left on in flight with less restrictions.
HIDDY, PETER01 and orbitmic like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

Autoland has been around for 50 years (nearly to the day!) What’s changed in the few years is that PEDs are more common and can be left on in flight with less restrictions.
TTmex and HLCinCOU like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

Don’t mention the T word...!!
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider

Don’t mention the T word...!!
Turns out the first commercial Cat 3 was a Caravelle ��

Sacre Bleu!

nancypants and orbitmic like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:51 pm

duplicate. Please delete

Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:04 pm

I understandthe concept of thick fog, but what exactly is heavy fog?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bar none
I understandthe concept of thick fog, but what exactly is heavy fog?
It's just a turn of phrase, it's the same thing - very poor visibility due to being below the dew point.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Thanks for sharing this. Love watching old videos.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bar none
I understand the concept of thick fog, but what exactly is heavy fog?
Pretty sure it's fog with a much higher deuterium/protium ratio than usual...
Gastrocnemius likes this.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Dec 29, 2018 at 4:54 pm Reason: accidental emoticonization
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Awesome video. Some cool shots of UNIVAC mainframes in that first part about BEACON too.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:58 am

Autoland at JFK a couple of days back, into what was some disgusting weather on arrival. The flight was memorable for reasons other than the autoland, which I cannot post on an open forum!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.