Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade and when to ask

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, HHonors, Hertz Gold
Upgrade and when to ask

Hello - a simple question today. I will be flying BA 268 LAX to LHR on 2 January. I will be connecting from an AA flight. I wanted to ask about upgrading from WT+ to CW at the airport but wasn’t sure if I should ask when checking in for the AA flight or if I need to wait until I get to LAX. Or should I scrap this plan all together and just call now and ask the cost of a cash upgrade? TIA

Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by TrekkerMary
Hello - a simple question today. I will be flying BA 268 LAX to LHR on 2 January. I will be connecting from an AA flight. I wanted to ask about upgrading from WT+ to CW at the airport but wasn’t sure if I should ask when checking in for the AA flight or if I need to wait until I get to LAX. Or should I scrap this plan all together and just call now and ask the cost of a cash upgrade? TIA

I was quoted a $1500 from YYZ once per person by someone from AA - the last time I flew PE. I politely declined.
There is a thread in the forum that lists upgrade prices at airport.

Maybe this helps.

Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2018 thread
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The best place to ask is the landside TBIT check-in in LAX, which is perhaps unfortunate since I'm guessing you will be in the airside connection. There aren't many BA agents airside - there is at the gate but that would be too late. So you best go landside and round to TBIT. If you see a staff member in front of any queues, checking documents and what not, they will almost certainly know whether AUPs are available. AA don't see BA's AUPs, they can only do fare difference upgrades, which is almost certainly all that will be possible via Contact Centres too. However a Contact Centre would be able to arrange an Upgrade Using Avios if there is availability. Just to a normal dummy redemption check for a CW seat to see if it is.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA will treat a request to change your ticket from one class to another as a straightforward fare difference. Thus, likely to be very expensive (although I would certainly ask at your original AA check-in counter on the off chance that it is not).

As others note, your alternative is to ask at BA at LAX, necessitating another checkpoint clearance.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended

Btw One member of BA check in staff at TBIT was extremely good with one of my friends AA ticketed flights that included BA operated sector LAX-LHR and they easily priced an upgrade.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, HHonors, Hertz Gold
Great tips! I have a long layover in LAX so I have plenty of time to go airside and ask at the BA counter. Sounds like much better and decent priced chances that way.

Thank you!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
Can't you also ask when you board a flight if you can pay for an UG?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by Nightbus to Dalson
Can't you also ask when you board a flight if you can pay for an UG?
Can you ask - YES

However at the gate is generally deemed too late( if you need to pay they have no way to facilitate this so it's off the cards). CC can upgrade you at their discretion / for operational reasons but that's down to them and in the lap of the gods. They certainly ( that I am aware of anyway) cannot upgrade based on offer of payment to do so.

Anyone else knowing to the contrary please obviously correct me.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Can you ask - YES

However at the gate is generally deemed too late( if you need to pay they have no way to facilitate this so it's off the cards). CC can upgrade you at their discretion / for operational reasons but that's down to them and in the lap of the gods. They certainly ( that I am aware of anyway) cannot upgrade based on offer of payment to do so.

Anyone else knowing to the contrary please obviously correct me.
The crew certainly used to be able to process purchased upgrades on board - whether it still can, I don't know
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:43 am
ECR

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The crew certainly used to be able to process purchased upgrades on board - whether it still can, I don't know
I wonder if this is a missed opportunity where the crew could pro-actively sell upgrades on board. They could also perhaps sell at a discounted rate half way through the flight.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That was an experiment with the iPads which for some reason didn't survive the trial period. I don' t think you can do gate upgrades very easily since paid upgrades need to be done before check-in is completed (or perhaps very shortly thereafter), so that would be 60 minutes from departure on longhaul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.