Long-Haul Basic Economy ticket

Old Dec 27, 18, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Long-Haul Basic Economy ticket

We purchased Basic Economy tickets ORD-LHR-ORD. Will we receive free food and drink? There's some confusing wording on BA's website that seems to imply that we will not.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 18, 8:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Yes. Long haul includes food and drink regardless of ticket type. You may have seen mention of M&S buy on board. This is not accurate.

You can, however, purchase an upgraded meal on some flights.
Old Dec 27, 18, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Yes. Long haul includes food and drink regardless of ticket type. You may have seen mention of M&S buy on board. This is not accurate.
Thank you. I did see the mention of M&S BOB, but what was really throwing me for a loop was this:
"Food and bar service" is listed as an amenity for Standard Economy, but not Basic.
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
Thank you. I did see the mention of M&S BOB, but what was really throwing me for a loop was this:
"Food and bar service" is listed as an amenity for Standard Economy, but not Basic.
This is something that I have noticed and I think it is very misleading. It makes it seem like only those on the standard tickets will receive food when this isn't the case.
Old Dec 27, 18, 12:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
From the BA website:
  • delicious meals and full bar service included in the price of all tickets

And here:

Basic

Basic fares are ideal for short trips when you are travelling light and want the lowest possible fare. You’ll still enjoy our new and improved complimentary food and bar service, you’ll have an allocated seat when you check in and your fare includes our generous hand baggage allowance of a handbag or laptop, plus a cabin bag.........

They do need to make it clearer on the page the OP got.
Old Dec 27, 18, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dddc View Post
From the BA website:
  • delicious meals and full bar service included in the price of all tickets
But that page also says WT includes "kids' activity packs," which the booking page ALSO implies is not included in the Basic Economy fare if you perform a search that includes an infant/toddler/child fare. Not that it matters for us - our little one will be 10 months old when we travel and probably not interested in crayons.

The second page you provided is much clearer, thank you.
Old Dec 27, 18, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
It also says delicious meals, which as we all know will not be provided with any fare.
Old Dec 27, 18, 2:03 pm

But that page also says WT includes "kids' activity packs," which the booking page ALSO implies is not included in the Basic Economy fare if you perform a search that includes an infant/toddler/child fare. Not that it matters for us - our little one will be 10 months old when we travel and probably not interested in crayons.

The second page you provided is much clearer, thank you.
I really think the marketing team don't have any children, or any clue, of what they are trying to convey half the time. Lots of flowery words while missing the point. The product should be called "No checked luggage (unless the cabin is full and we deem it ok to lob your bag downstairs for our convenience, not yours) and no seat choice fare". I won't add the cancellation and changes options to the title as that will make it just too long a mouthful........ I should really be in marketing

I've seen on Swiss where their Economy Lite fare doesn't include food on flights from London to Geneva. The crew have a printout and know who's on what fare. I had a "classic" fare and was presented with a box that had a water bottle and a bread roll with jam. Those on the Lite fare got a cup of water and we all got a branded Swiss chocolate. The crew got some grief from a DYKWIA in the opposite row from me when they passed them by. She was put in her place with "Madame, you are on the Economy Lite fare, out cheapest ticket, it doesn't include a snack". For the 50p our snack cost, I'm sure that outweighed the effort and time in preparing the passenger manifest with ticket details etc.
Old Dec 27, 18, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
It also says delicious meals, which as we all know will not be provided with any fare.
Well, sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. My last CE trip was ok. My last CW had a great dinner followed by one of the most awful breakfasts I've had on any airline.
OneworldHarj likes this.
Old Dec 27, 18, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dddc View Post
I really think the marketing team don't have any children, or any clue, of what they are trying to convey half the time. Lots of flowery words while missing the point. The product should be called "No checked luggage (unless the cabin is full and we deem it ok to lob your bag downstairs for our convenience, not yours) and no seat choice fare". I won't add the cancellation and changes options to the title as that will make it just too long a mouthful........ I should really be in marketing
I'm almost conspiracy-minded enough to think that's a deliberate attempt to steer people into the more expensive Standard Economy tickets (see also: the fact that I scoured the "traveling with children" pages and didn't find a single reference to the fact that, when booking flights that include an infant ticket, you can pre-select any seat in Y for free, even when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket; I stumbled on that by doing a dummy booking). The current delta between Basic and Standard is USD70, and I wouldn't pay the extra money for Standard if I thought all I was getting was a free checked bag, but if I also thought I wasn't getting any food or drink, I might.
Old Dec 27, 18, 2:32 pm

I'm almost conspiracy-minded enough to think that's a deliberate attempt to steer people into the more expensive Standard Economy tickets.
I have to agree, the options when booking (as shown earlier) make it seem as though the Basic Economy fare is significantly worse than a Standard Economy fare, indeed, it could even be suggested that it implies that the Basic Economy has seats with a smaller pitch than Standard Economy.

A similar thing happens when looking at the difference between Economy Basic and Economy Plus on short haul routes, it makes it seem (at first glance) that M&S food is only available to those on Economy Plus fares, and they neglect to inform us about the reason that most people here in FT probably buy these fares - free SDC!

Short Haul Comparisons
Old Dec 31, 18, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

(see also: the fact that I scoured the "traveling with children" pages and didn't find a single reference to the fact that, when booking flights that include an infant ticket, you can pre-select any seat in Y for free, even when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket; I stumbled on that by doing a dummy booking)
I was wrong about this being an unadvertised benefit, I found this just now:

Under-advertised, maybe, but not unadvertised.
Old Feb 21, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: Former DL PM that converted to AS MVPG when we moved to SEA
Hi Speedbird FTers. I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask but here it goes. I read something from a couple years ago that if you book a Economy Basic leg combined with a Economy Standard leg you will get the baggage rules for the higher class for the entire reservation. Does anyone have any experience with this or knowledge of if this "glitch" still exists?
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tulaneksig View Post
Hi Speedbird FTers. I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask but here it goes. I read something from a couple years ago that if you book a Economy Basic leg combined with a Economy Standard leg you will get the baggage rules for the higher class for the entire reservation. Does anyone have any experience with this or knowledge of if this "glitch" still exists?
As far as BA is concerned it doesn't. There was a glitch where - for example - if you POUG'd one sector to a higher cabin then the entire reservation would get the upgraded checked baggage allowance, but that was ended. In fact that announcement was the moment when some of us thought that longhaul Basic was going to arrive. HBO fares are combinable with other tickets, but not on an end-on-end basis (add on). So that means your second sector would also be Basic, as far as I can make out. AA's Basic is non combinable. So while I haven't checked this in any detail I don't think you are going to find a legitimate Basic and then Plus/Standard fare on one ticket.
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
As far as BA is concerned it doesn't. There was a glitch where - for example - if you POUG'd one sector to a higher cabin then the entire reservation would get the upgraded checked baggage allowance, but that was ended. In fact that announcement was the moment when some of us thought that longhaul Basic was going to arrive. HBO fares are combinable with other tickets, but not on an end-on-end basis (add on). So that means your second sector would also be Basic, as far as I can make out. AA's Basic is non combinable. So while I haven't checked this in any detail I don't think you are going to find a legitimate Basic and then Plus/Standard fare on one ticket.
I am not sure that it isn't possible to combine a basic and a plus fare on the same ticket, I am pretty sure that I have been given the choice of either Basic or Plus for the return leg, regardless of which I selected for the outbound.

EDIT: I checked and you can, unless I have got the wrong end of the stick here.

​​​​​​​

Search this Thread
Search Engine: