Change of passport after checking in

Old Dec 27, 18, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Change of passport after checking in

Dear all,

I have just received my brand new passport today and have a flight to catch later on tonight. I checked in yesterday for this flight but using my old passport. Do you think I will be okay if I take both my old and new passport with me tonight?

Thank you in advance!

RN
Old Dec 27, 18, 4:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And if you are UK, presumably the old passport now has corners cut off. Strictly speaking you are supposed to go to check-in and get your new passport details into the booking for API reasons, but if I assume you are travelling within the EEA then you'd be fine just handing your new passport over at the gate and leaving it at that. I can't really see any good reason for taking your old passport with you, unless there is some relevant visa in the old passport which is still valid. In many places in Asia frequent travellers stick - glue - their old passports underneath their new ones, due to visa and stamp counting reasons.
Old Dec 27, 18, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ReynoldsNumber View Post
Dear all,

I have just received my brand new passport today and have a flight to catch later on tonight. I checked in yesterday for this flight but using my old passport. Do you think I will be okay if I take both my old and new passport with me tonight?

Thank you in advance!

RN
Interesting issue. Your old passport is void now that you have a new one, but given that you'd checked in with the old one, I'd take both and hope that check-in staff can update the API.
Old Dec 27, 18, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you again CWS! Great info!

Yes, clipped passport .... and I’m off to BRU .....

However, I have already booked a number of avios flights in Asia that are still months away from departure .... I hope that updating the API well in advance should be no issue ..... none of the Asian destinations require a visa for UK citizens.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 27, 18, 4:42 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
You were cutting it fine! What would you have done if the new passport hadn’t arrived in time?
Old Dec 27, 18, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info!

i used the premium 4 hour service, because I am only in London for three days - the only thing wrong with my old passport was that I ran out of pages, so it was a matter of a straightforward passport renewal / swap.

I will take both to the airport just in case, however, I did update the global API section in my BA account already.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 27, 18, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for all the info!

i used the premium 4 hour service, because I am only in London for three days - the only thing wrong with my old passport was that I ran out of pages, so it was a matter of a straightforward passport renewal / swap.

I will take both to the airport just in case, however, I did update the global API section in my BA account already.

Thanks again!
I think you will need to update or at least check the API on each individual future booking also. I believe the API in your profile is copied to a new booking when it is made, but that existing bookings are not changed.
Old Dec 27, 18, 6:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
However, I have already booked a number of avios flights in Asia that are still months away from departure .... I hope that updating the API well in advance should be no issue
Update the details on your BAEC account, and see if it propagates to individual bookings. If not, just change them manually. It really isn't an issue. I usually end up having to renew my passport every 12-18 months due to running out of pages (and often have to renew my passport mid-trip) but I have never encountered a problem.
Old Dec 27, 18, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
You were cutting it fine! What would you have done if the new passport hadnít arrived in time?
I once had a passport stolen 3 days before a booked trip. Applied for a fast track replacement (up to one week) and it was delivered 1 hour before I had to leave for the airport!