Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

For what reason would a Y customer choose BA for Long Haul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For what reason would a Y customer choose BA for Long Haul

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Personally I'd pay the extra to go on BA, for a variety of small reasons that may/may not add up to £100 worth, but I'd still be happier with.

Loyalty, family shareholding in IAG, family employment, sense of already being 'home' when stepping on board a BA aircraft, better cup of tea, British drinks & snacks, TPs, Avios*, Bonus Avios for using BA credit card, product familiarity, etc.

(*although UA flights can be credited to EI, and the Avios transferred)

Small reasons perhaps, but enough for me. If the difference was much greater, then I'd be torn, but £100, definitely BA.

HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think the whole point of flying economy is to fly at the cheapest price point in line with whatever comfort level you require. And at level then BA, AA, UA, VS, Delta are all in a very similar place. If you're in the "I will pay more for extra comfort / benefits" argument, then the £100 may be justifiable via things like BA's generous hand baggage allowance or BAEC benefits; equally the fact that the UA service may well have wifi for example (though BA is catching up there).

If you're really trying to save money then - well it's astonishing what can be done these days. I flew on Wow a few weeks ago, LGW to BOS for £239 return (report in the Other European Airlines forum), which I though was amazing value, only to find out more recently that there are ways to fly UK to the USA for around £185 return. As I pointed out in that report, Sir Freddie Laker's Skytrain service was, in today's money, around £350 single, so some of the fares today are frankly breathtaking.
Spot on and I think we easily forget this. The same applies to the much maligned (including by me) CE service. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me many of the fares in CE are lower than standard Y fares for the same route around 20 years ago.

As for the OP, I'd go with price and schedule, although other considerations like earning Avios, EWR v JFK (assuming United only fly to the former) could easily justify spending a bit more on BA. It would have been a no brainer (in favour of BA) a few years ago, but the US carriers have upped their game, so it's much of a muchness now (although I prefer BA crew).

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Dec 27, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I'm not a big fan of British Airways, but when the price and schedule is significantly different to another airline, then I'd probably go BA.

Also, the prices you see available online aren't the same prices that some corporate travel departments get, I know with several previous employers we would regularly travel BA and the prices were significantly cheaper then the competition, but I couldn't find those prices published elsewhere.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
EU delay protection and the availability of an Eastbound day flight would be reasons for me to choose BA from NYC but the fare difference would have to be a small one and certainly below £100.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amt

JFK vs. Newark maybe?

People have preferences for one over the other, the New Jersey factor is off putting for some.

I actually prefer newark on united vs JFK on British for their departure lounge.. The plan was to land JFK and fly back from Newark (leaving heathrow because there is no way in hell i am booking the frequently cancelled Gatwick-JFK route). I wanted to fly out of newark anyway because i might go to Philly at the end of the trip and its much easier to get to from there than JFK (a direct train from 30th Street).

Because i dont have status, im with the normal folk in departures and JFKs BA terminal SUCKS. Like, i would actually prefer to be at Stansted than there.

I have found flights on BA (booking through Iberia) that are 20p less than the united ones so i am now torn.

Whats the newark British airways departure terminal like? Is it better than the JFK one?

And have they reintroduced the 2nd snack meal? i read somewhere that they did.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Whats the newark British airways departure terminal like? Is it better than the JFK one?

And have they reintroduced the 2nd snack meal? i read somewhere that they did.
I think you would probably be OK with Newark. The big problem with T7 is the design, it was built in 1970 in the days when Concrete Brutalism was in vogue (apologies to the Mod who knows a lot more about this than me) and so it looks better - and I'm struggling here - on the outside than on the inside, with very poor lighting and low roof which gives a crowded feel. The improvements over the last 8 months have really helped here, and the place is a lot more attractive than it was. Work is still ongoing and in a few months we should see the final result. However it can never be a patch on AA's T8 terminal which is light and open.

Newark was built only a few years later (1973) but they used a lot more vertical space so it feels less crammed in that T7. Up until a year ago EWR on BA was a more modern experience, though the gap has narrowed there. But United in EWR uses terminal C, which was built in the 1980s and though not as good as T8 it is still better than TB.

The more substantial WT second meal (well, sandwich tray) has indeed returned as of January 2018, as well as the ice cream on the LHR departures.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your continuing help always CWS!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by callum9999
They're more expensive in your specific example, that doesn't mean they always are. Sometimes even Ryanair is more than BA.
Ryanair don't fly to USA. What a ridiculous comparison.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
i flew American from Miami to Malpensa and back in Y+. Was definitely impressed with the food service, two decent meals with the second being a really healthy, mainly veggie based option. I'd be more loyal to AA as I'm based in Mexico, but with EQDs it's hard to get anywhere near Sapphire. Thus I guess my loyalty, whether in Y or Y+ is to Oneworld as a whole.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:25 pm

I have a strong preference for BA when flying LHR-India as they have the best safety record among the airlines that fly direct. The latter is much less of a concern when TATL so I would pick on schedule/airport convenience, need for Avios vs. other currencies, seating alignment (eg 9-across 777), etc.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Is a fair point regarding safety when flying to Asia. I find with most TATL that service and seat tends to be more or less the same. Horses for courses really. Go with what you prefer and can afford

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.